General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » SavageMan Triathlon 70.0 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-07-01 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3575563

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: SavageMan Triathlon 70.0 : Official Thread
piker2 - 2011-06-30 4:32 PM

I'm totally excited about Savageman (my first), the training is going well, and I too got new gearing (50/34 and 12-27).  I've got a road trip this weekend that takes me roughly by the course, and while I don't have time to stop and ride it (I do plan on making it out there for one of my long training rides in August), I might be able to drive it.  Is this worthwhile, and, if so, how long would it take - about 2 hrs? 

Thanks,

Ryan

I'm sure you could drive it in an hour to an hour and a half.  It would give you an idea what you'll be up against.

2011-07-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3552190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax

For the people that switched to compact cranks, what brand/combo did you end up going with?  I currently have Kuota K-Factor with an FSA Gossamer 175 53/39 crankset.  I'm thinking of switching to a 170 50/34 but I'm looking for input on a recommended brand/model.  I see some are carbon, some are heavy, some come with ceramic bb's, etc.  What's a good, middle of the road combination?

2011-07-12 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3592933

User image

Rockville

I have decided to get Shimano FC-R700 50/34 Compact Crankset w/BB (170mm) on ebay, to match my Ultegra set.

Still waiting for the package to arrive.

2011-07-13 6:49 AM

User image

Regular
I went the cheap route and ordered a 50/34 through Nashbar, with the compatible ISIS bottom bracket. Unfortunately I ordered the incorrect spindle length on the BB, so I'm waiting for a longer one to install. Overall feels like about the same weight as the FSA integrated crank that I had.
2011-07-13 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3594055

User image

New user

Northern VA

I made the switch in the early spring and am very glad that I did.  I rode a hilly centrury on Mem. day with the compact and a 12-27 and it went great.

I have a BB30 bracket, so I had more limited options - SRAM, FSA, or spend a mint for the Cannondale high-end stuff.  Most of the ?online comments were that the FSA had more issues, so I went with the SRAM Force 50/34 with 175 cranks (I'm 6'2" with long legs - if you're shorter than me, I like the 170 idea) - still pretty expensive.  Since I am not fast enough to spin the biggest gears that a standard crank gives you, I offset the cost by selling my 53/39 crank, and will ride flatter routes by leaving the compact on and swapping cassettes.  I love the Force gear as it feels very stiff and responsive with my 200lbs on it.

Good luck,

Ryan

2011-07-13 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3594170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
piker2 - 2011-07-13 8:22 AM

I made the switch in the early spring and am very glad that I did.  I rode a hilly centrury on Mem. day with the compact and a 12-27 and it went great.

I have a BB30 bracket, so I had more limited options - SRAM, FSA, or spend a mint for the Cannondale high-end stuff.  Most of the ?online comments were that the FSA had more issues, so I went with the SRAM Force 50/34 with 175 cranks (I'm 6'2" with long legs - if you're shorter than me, I like the 170 idea) - still pretty expensive.  Since I am not fast enough to spin the biggest gears that a standard crank gives you, I offset the cost by selling my 53/39 crank, and will ride flatter routes by leaving the compact on and swapping cassettes.  I love the Force gear as it feels very stiff and responsive with my 200lbs on it.

Good luck,

Ryan

Thanks everyone for the input. 

I'm 6'2" as well, though my LBS pointed me to shorter crank if I'm going compact even with my height.  I was starting to look at the SRAM Rival and SRAM Force and I'm trying to figure out if 100g and 10% stiffness is worth the extra $150 for the Force vs. Rival crank.  I probably won't be able to tell the difference so I'll probably go with the Rival.

When you switched to a compact, did it affect your fit at all?  I'm assuming not if your crank length stayed the same.

2011-07-14 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3594500

User image

New user

Northern VA
No fit issues at all with the compact and the same size cranks, and my right foot toes out a bit so I was worried about my right heel clearance on the chainstays, but I've had no issues with >500 miles on this setup.  The dereilleurs and chain needed adjustment to accout for the smaller BCD, but other than that, it was plug and play.
2011-07-17 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran

I like Shimano Cranks if the RD/FD and shifters are Shimano. Shimano doesn't work yet with BB30 but for ~$30 your local bike store (LBS) can tap a sleeve into a BB30 socket so you can install an  ext BB allowing a Shimano Crank.

Compact is great for SM cause your not doing a ton of shifts between the top and bottom ring where the ranges are far apart. The gearing on a 50/34 11-28 is lower and higher than a 52/39 12-27.

Its hard to suffer more than a SM but the endorphine euphoria at the end is worth it.

Enjoy

2011-07-17 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3593631

User image

Rockville

I have installed a new compact crankset.  I never did it before, but it took me just 20 min because it was compatible with my Ultegra BB.  Tried it on Saturday (56 miles, Poolsville area) and on Sunday (35mi Black Rock Rd) and I must admit that this makes a huge difference for me.  I love it.  It gives me the right range of gears on flats, at the same time the little chain ring (34) with 11-28 cassette suits my needs on hills.  It is perfect for hills up to 21 grade (a pitch on Black Rock Rd), but I have no idea how it (I) will handle the dreadful grade of 31.  I will try savageman route in August.

2011-08-08 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Just did the bike course yesterday. WHEW! Now I'm not the best climber but with my triple and a 12-25 cassette, I did complete all the climbs, even the Westernport Wall (though I had to take a break after that). Actually, the worst part about the Wall is the cracked pavement. It was more difficult navigating a relatively clear path so I wouldn't fall. This probably goes without saying, but another thing to note is that you do have to compensate your weight forward right away or else you'll fall backwards. I almost had that problem just for a second as I pulled up on the handlebars before I quickly compensated. Now personally, I thought that the LONG stretch on Westernport Road going UP Big Savage Mtn was probably the least favorite part of the ride as the climb just seemed to pretty much go on forever. Nice downhill after this but then another long stretch of climbing. At least these hit you more in the beginning than later for me yesterday as I started in New Germany rather than Deep Creek. BTW, met up with another triathlete who was just out for a ride and he had a normal 39-53 but a 12-28 on the back. Said he was definitely using the 28 on the steeper portions. Also, as I started "Killer Miller", I was startled by a loose dog next to me. There's a farm as you start the climb and no doubt he came from there. Fortunately, didn't have an incident with him. Oh and take the words to heart that the descents before Killer Miller and on Spring Lick definitely require your full attention and are fairly technical, more so that the roads aren't the best and there's some limited sight as you go around a fair number of curves. To be sure, some great cruising stretches and terrific scenery on the bike course! Geez, and we have to run a Half Mary after this bike course? I've definitely got more hill training to do! If you can get out to preview it, I recommend it. Might go out one more time later this month/early next.
2011-08-09 7:45 AM

User image

Regular
I'm going to try and go out the weekend of the 20th. I did the Ft. Ritchie olympic on Sunday, first race with the compact crank. It made me very happy.

2011-08-09 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3635390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
raidenolsen - 2011-08-09 8:45 AM

I'm going to try and go out the weekend of the 20th. I did the Ft. Ritchie olympic on Sunday, first race with the compact crank. It made me very happy.

What's your big cassette ring on the back? Raven Rock and even Ft Ritchie Road are easy compared to a few of the climbs on the Savageman Course. But, looks like you should be okay with a 27 cog on the back if your small chainring is a 34. A 28 would be better in the back. Still going to be a challenge no matter which way you slice it.

As for me, as I indicated previously, I'm going to be using my 30-27 gear setting quite a bit during the climbs. Just not that great a climber and need the gears.

Edited by sbrdave 2011-08-09 10:29 PM
2011-08-10 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3637008

User image

Regular
sbrdave - 2011-08-09 11:25 PM

raidenolsen - 2011-08-09 8:45 AM

What's your big cassette ring on the back? Raven Rock and even Ft Ritchie Road are easy compared to a few of the climbs on the Savageman Course. But, looks like you should be okay with a 27 cog on the back if your small chainring is a 34. A 28 would be better in the back. Still going to be a challenge no matter which way you slice it.

As for me, as I indicated previously, I'm going to be using my 30-27 gear setting quite a bit during the climbs. Just not that great a climber and need the gears.

Just a 25 on the back. If the practice run on the 20th is a disaster, I might look at a different cassette. The Ft. Ritchie climbs were very easy for me with the compact (didn't even come close to needing the 25), so I'm slightly optimistic I'll be ok.
2011-08-11 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
BTW, for those of you looking for a cue sheet for the bike course, there's a problem on the page if you're using Internet Explorer 8. Either the elevation profile pic or the map covers the cue sheet link. This isn't a problem in Firefox or Chrome. There's also a link to download the info into your Gramin as well which is covered too in IE8. Couldn't find it when I went to the page and when I searched the page for "cue", it would direct me to the area on the page. But since it was covered, I couldn't see it. Thought of using Firefox and there it was! I've notified the RD about the issue for folks who use IE. Don't know if it's a problem in IE9.
2011-08-11 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3638791

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
sbrdave - 2011-08-11 8:10 AM

BTW, for those of you looking for a cue sheet for the bike course, there's a problem on the page if you're using Internet Explorer 8. Either the elevation profile pic or the map covers the cue sheet link. This isn't a problem in Firefox or Chrome. There's also a link to download the info into your Gramin as well which is covered too in IE8. Couldn't find it when I went to the page and when I searched the page for "cue", it would direct me to the area on the page. But since it was covered, I couldn't see it. Thought of using Firefox and there it was! I've notified the RD about the issue for folks who use IE. Don't know if it's a problem in IE9.

Update - RD contacted me and also website person. This has been fixed for IE users. Bike course and garmin links are there now below the elevation profile.
2011-08-15 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

First year for SM for me. I'm coming from Houston area, and almost all my riding is on flats to small rollers. I'm debating whether to bring the tri bike or the road bike. Both have compact cranks, and I'll be using an 11x28 in the back. Any advice? I've just had the road bike a few months and have not done any real climbing or hill rides on it. I did use the tri bike at Branson (66/201 in M40-44) and Silverman (18/34 in M40-44) last year and had good rides. I'm comfortable on both bikes, but have spent a lot more time on the tri bike. My goal for the race is to get the brick!

In general, will the big climbs at SM be any less painful on the road bike? Why would a MOP rider choose one over the other?

2011-08-15 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3644168

It's comfort and safety of descending which should play a larger role in your decision than climbing*.  There's been a good bit of discussion on slowtwitch about gearing and bike choice, so rather than repeating it here, I'd send you there to do some searches.

* because getting a brick is a primary goal then ability to navigate and control bike up 31% broken up paved road should play a role in your decision too.

2011-08-15 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3644168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
g_shotts - 2011-08-15 12:43 PM

First year for SM for me. I'm coming from Houston area, and almost all my riding is on flats to small rollers. I'm debating whether to bring the tri bike or the road bike. Both have compact cranks, and I'll be using an 11x28 in the back. Any advice? I've just had the road bike a few months and have not done any real climbing or hill rides on it. I did use the tri bike at Branson (66/201 in M40-44) and Silverman (18/34 in M40-44) last year and had good rides. I'm comfortable on both bikes, but have spent a lot more time on the tri bike. My goal for the race is to get the brick!

In general, will the big climbs at SM be any less painful on the road bike? Why would a MOP rider choose one over the other?

If your equipment weight and gear ratios aren't an issue, the main reason I see someone might choose one over the other is some of the more technical aspects of the course, particularly the downhills rather than the uphills. The aerobars might just be more of nuisance than a help, though there are some parts where you can cruise in them. Plus your ability to go from shifting gears and braking on a tri bike is a bit slower than on a regular road bike with the shifters and brakes right there. That's really the only reason I see all else being equal: how comfortable are you in your tri vs road bike on technical downhills?

Personally, if I could use my tri bike, I probably would because I think I'd be okay with the downhills and could at least use the aerobars in a couple of spots that aren't as technical. But, my tri bike doesn't have the right gearing for this type of course.

Someone else may have some other thoughts.

EDIT - and of course knyost and I are replying at the same time with the same thoughts.

Edited by sbrdave 2011-08-15 12:45 PM
2011-08-17 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3644281

User image

Regular
I rode the course today with two friends. We all did SM last year and two of us will be back next month. We rode 1.5 ave mph faster than last year's training ride which made everyone happy.Observations:No matter how fresh you are as you enter Westernport, the Wall is an intimidating sight fro the bottom looking up.The descent from the top of Otto Lane to the bottom of Killer Miller has the worst stretch of road. Under construction and a mess.Uneventful day. No dog trouble, great weather, good markings on pavement for the turns, no pothole problems and no one flatted.Question: at the SM website it says e first aid station is at mile 19. Does this mean that it is at the top of the Wall where the clothing drop was? If so, this is a marked improvement over handing out water at the base of the Wall. Does anyone know?www.radicalimmersion.wordpress.com
2011-08-17 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3647550

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Your question - "the SM website it says the first aid station is at mile 19. Does this mean that it is at the top of the Wall where the clothing drop was? If so, this is a marked improvement over handing out water at the base of the Wall. "

When you mouseover the food/drink icon on the map, it says "Mile 19 - Westernport Aid Station and Clothing Drop, at base of Westernport Wall."

So, doesn't look like it's at the top
2011-08-17 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3648091

We are looking into the feasibility of moving the aid station to the same location of the clothing drop at the Town Garage driveway a few hundred yards past the Wall.  There are logistical complications with this and there would be potential for chaos at a single location with both an aid station and many athletes stopping and clogging the road to deal with the clothing drop.  Nonetheless, we know that athletes would prefer to fill their bottles after the Wall, not before.  No promises, but we are considering.

2011-08-18 7:40 AM

User image

Regular
Kyle,

Is the run course marked? I'm planning to run a loop after riding the route Saturday, leg agony permitting.

Thanks!

2011-08-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3648095

User image

Regular
knyost - 2011-08-17 7:58 PM We are looking into the feasibility of moving the aid station to the same location of the clothing drop at the Town Garage driveway a few hundred yards past the Wall.  There are logistical complications with this and there would be potential for chaos at a single location with both an aid station and many athletes stopping and clogging the road to deal with the clothing drop.  Nonetheless, we know that athletes would prefer to fill their bottles after the Wall, not before.  No promises, but we are considering.

Great.  Thanks for looking into this option.  Even if the water station was up the road two miles after the Wall and the subsequent climb, it would help.
2011-08-18 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3648557

raidenolsen - 2011-08-18 8:40 AM Kyle, Is the run course marked? I'm planning to run a loop after riding the route Saturday, leg agony permitting. Thanks!

No, but the Garmin files are available for downloading into your Garmin wristwatch.....

2011-08-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3648692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
knyost - 2011-08-18 9:55 AM

raidenolsen - 2011-08-18 8:40 AM Kyle, Is the run course marked? I'm planning to run a loop after riding the route Saturday, leg agony permitting. Thanks!

No, but the Garmin files are available for downloading into your Garmin wristwatch.....

If you don't have a Garmin, it also looks like the cue sheet along with the map should work decently too. I would look at the flyover from MapMyRide.com that's included on the page as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » SavageMan Triathlon 70.0 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5