General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » SavageMan Triathlon 70.0 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-09-10 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3552190

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: SavageMan Triathlon 70.0 : Official Thread
Last long ride before the race! I'm looking forward to next weekend, but also kind of dreading it.....feels like the moment of truth will be coming up......one of those tests you can't fake!

2011-09-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3680166

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
g_shotts - 2011-09-10 8:57 AM

Last long ride before the race! I'm looking forward to next weekend, but also kind of dreading it.....feels like the moment of truth will be coming up......one of those tests you can't fake!

Roger that! I've got a last longish run today and last long brick tomorrow before taper week. After 2 1/2 months of hill work, I'll kinda be glad to get back to a little bit of flat riding every now and then. Personally, I'm more apprehensive about the run as opposed to the bike, because the bike will take a good bit out of me. Last week, I did a 67 mile ride and then a flat 6.5 run and I was just on automatic during the run cuz I was pretty much spent mentally and physically after the ride. At least the ride won't be quite that long but a hilly HM following the 55.7 course is going to be...um..interesting
2011-09-11 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I'm bib #643 & Wave #4...
2011-09-11 4:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Just looked at the 7 day weather forecast - BRRRRR! Low of 41 and a high of only 57. At the moment, skies look mostly sunny. Great running weather but oh is it going to be chilly going from the swim to the bike. Arm warmers and vests look like the things to bring (if not more!). Heck, maybe instead of a carb drink, perahps a latte' instead in one of the bottles Hopefully, it warms up a little bit as the long range models tend to be a bit cold. Still, looking like a chilly start.
2011-09-12 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax

Where are you getting that forecast from?  Accuweather has it at a low of 50 and a high of 68 for McHenry, MD. 

If that's true and it's in the 40s in the morning, how are you guys/gals preparing for that?  It'll by far be the coldest race I've ever done considering I've been training in the 80/90s all summer.  The pre-race email that went out yesterday mentioned hats/gloves. 

How about the water?  I'm definitely bringing my full sleeve but should I look into a neoprene cap?

2011-09-12 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3682430

Accuweather always runs high. weather.com is most accurate of online forecasts.

Water will be nice.  Upper 60s and will feel warm compared to morning air.

If I were doing the 70.0, I would dry off in transition and put on a dry top, long fingered gloves, arm warmers.  Maybe a vest, maybe not depending on actual morning temps.  Hats and gloves are for the pre-race 6-7am cold.  First year folks had frost on their windshields in the morning.  Won't be that cold this year.

2011-09-12 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3682430

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
strostertag - 2011-09-12 1:01 PM

Where are you getting that forecast from?  Accuweather has it at a low of 50 and a high of 68 for McHenry, MD. 

If that's true and it's in the 40s in the morning, how are you guys/gals preparing for that?  It'll by far be the coldest race I've ever done considering I've been training in the 80/90s all summer.  The pre-race email that went out yesterday mentioned hats/gloves. 

How about the water?  I'm definitely bringing my full sleeve but should I look into a neoprene cap?

I actually got it from the Pittsburgh NWS via weather.gov. That was for Deep Creek SP itself. If water is 69, definitely full wetsuit for me and perhaps earplugs (cold water in my ears gives me vertigo). As I don't really have any hope of placing and goal is just to finish, I'm contemplating doing exactly what knyost just said about the dry top in T1. I'm already prepared to have arm warmers and gloves (though probably not full) with a wind vest. This worked for me during another cold morning tri in Oct one year when it was 38 at the start of the swim and the water was warmer than the sand we were standing in. I'll decide what to actually bring as we get closer to the race, but the weather forecast maps are consistently showing a big Canadian high pressure area entering the area late Wed night into Thurs morning and staying over top the area throughout the weekend. Hopefully, the temperature forecast will inch up a bit as the air does moderate and it's still officially summer...also, it's supposed to be fairly sunny which will help.
2011-09-14 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Here's a question for previous Wall brick recepients: Obviously getting over top the steepest part is the end point, but where do you start from in making a run for the brick? Beginning of the street or beginning of the steepest part? Just wondering cuz I might just want to stop beforehand and compose myself/get psyched up for it/time my run. I already know I can make it as I got up it when I rode the course weeks ago. But, that was without the crowds and other riders. And think that's what someone else wrote about is that getting a clean run at it plus all the screaming folks cheering you on makes it a bit more challenging. Perhaps there's a mark or sign indicating the start or a ref?
2011-09-14 6:55 AM
in reply to: #3685552

The whole stretch of 4 street blocks counts.  No sitting around and resting before making the final summit.

The Wall spotters may not catch you resting down the hill further, as they are marking down folks that ride by clear at the top, but the video cameras are watching.

2011-09-14 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3685556

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
knyost - 2011-09-14 7:55 AM

The whole stretch of 4 street blocks counts.  No sitting around and resting before making the final summit.

The Wall spotters may not catch you resting down the hill further, as they are marking down folks that ride by clear at the top, but the video cameras are watching.

Okay, thanks! Wasn't looking to "cheat". I just didn't want to inadvertently disqualify myself by stopping in the area which counted if I thought I needed to. That's happened to me on a few training rides but normally later after I've done several tough climbs already. As Westernport will really be the first major one after basically going downhill for many miles, I'll probably be fresh enough to just go for it. But perhaps if needed, one could stop briefly after making the turn on 36? I stopped there when alone trying to follow the cue sheet since I hadn't rode the course before.
2011-09-14 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3685589

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Dave, one thing that worked for me last year, is that right before you hit the "wall" portion, there is a little side street that you would take if you were diverting away from the wall.  Last year, I went left to right for a second or two just to let the legs get a break before the real hell hits.  Once I hit the wall, I tried to keep it as easy as I could for the first 1/3 to half, but you get to a point where you are just mashing as hard as you can.  I was a bit wobbly at the top, but did make it.

2011-09-14 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3685722

Cheating.
2011-09-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3685749

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

knyost - 2011-09-14 9:41 AM Cheating.

What's cheating?

2011-09-14 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3686180

Going off course to let your legs recover so you can get up the Wall.  It's one thing to zig and zag your way up the bottom four blocks so your legs can be as fresh as possible when you hit the final block.  It's another to go down a side street to let the legs recover and come back on course again at the base of the final block.

I'm not a stickler for rules and fine print.  But the intent of the Wall and the bricks is to ride straight up the hill and the whole hill "cleanly".  And that includes wandering off midway up to rest.

2011-09-14 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

I see what you're saying. 

I'm probably not describing it well, and am certainly not saying you should or I did go off the course.  My strategy last year was to go up the left side while it was still paved, then turn right and go parallel for a second or two right before the "Pain is temporary, a brick last forever" sign and the little gremlin.  Unfortunately, a spectator almost knocked me off my bike there, but that's a different issue.  Then I went up the right side of the wall where the pavement seems to be better. 

If that's cheating then, well, I'm glad the peeps in the devil outfits didn't think so last year! 

2011-09-15 5:49 PM

User image

Regular
Drug tested today, so we'll know I'm clean for the race.

Ok, it was for a security clearance, but we'll all sleep better knowing I'm not on the juice.

2011-09-16 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
After yesterday's test ride in 54 degree weather with wind and clouds, definitely will be full-fingered gloves, 2 dry layers top, arm warmers, and probably calf compression sleeves to start the bike. I'll bring a wind vest and leg warmers just in case, but I think at the moment that may be too much, especially during the climbing portion of the bike. It'll be close to 50 starting the bike portion with full sun. The 50s will be the temp on the bike, reaching near or over 60 on the run, depending when you finish the bike. So, great running weather for a 1/2 Mary...of course we have to survive the bike first

Winds will be out of the east during the day, so headwinds to start the bike and mostly tail after we make the turn to start climbing out of Westernport. They shouldn't be too strong (5-10 mph), but it'll add a bit to the chill during the first part of the course.

BTW, I'm #288.

Hey good luck all!!
2011-09-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3689071

User image

New user

Northern VA

Sbrdave - Thanks for the wx report - that's great help for those of us who still haven't packed yet!  We all need to come back and post our Wall videos, successful or not, after Sunday!  You'll get mine either way.

Ryan #174

2011-09-16 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3689886

The Wall is looking U-G-L-Y.  Really big divots.  It's gonna be carnage.  Not sure how/why it's so much worse than year's past, but I think old asphalt patches are coming loose and then when the town cleans the road for race weekend it all comes up.

Gonna make for some good videos for sure!

2011-09-16 4:26 PM

User image

Rockville

What is the latest time can athletes arrive on Saturday?  It seems to be Mandatory Athlete Briefing at 4:15pm, but nothing before that.... I am not missing anything, am I?

It is unlikely, but is there any way to be briefed online?

Thanks.

2011-09-16 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3689886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
piker2 - 2011-09-16 4:04 PM

Sbrdave - Thanks for the wx report - that's great help for those of us who still haven't packed yet!  We all need to come back and post our Wall videos, successful or not, after Sunday!  You'll get mine either way.

Ryan #174

No problemo! No change to it too (just looked). After a low around 44, looks like 48 degrees at the start and then slowly climbing and getting into the 60s after 2 pm. The one thing to note is that it will be pretty dry too, so sweat should evaporate relatively easily and we might not necessarily have to hydrate quite as much. Still have to of course, but it's going to quite different from the heatfests I've been on in past years.

@knyost - gosh I'm going to try and avoid being part of the predicted carnage. The main key it looks like is to find a clear path and also avoid others who are having problems.

Speaking of which, after looking at some of the past years' videos, just like to note to watch for others before moving off the street if you don't make the Wall. I saw a few instances where folks just started moving to the grass and blocked someone attempting their run. A few didn't make it because of that though they might have. Well, it should be interesting!

2011-09-17 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Off to the race area in a while for checkin/packet pickup, etc. Weather forecast is unchanged and if anything, the winds have lighSo....

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE AND BE A "SAVAGEMAN"?!!! Hey good luck to everyone! For me, goals are to scale the Wall, finish, and enjoy the course plus the festivities! Hopefully see some of you at the Finish!
2011-09-20 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Working on my full race report, but what a great day! I've never been in an event with so much support and enthusiasm throughout the day, and on that course you need it! I also had a great time at the dinner Sat. night, met some great people while we all froze our butts off.

Thought I'd be alone at the finish since my family stayed home, but SBRDave heard my name announced and found me after I crossed the line, which was cool.
2011-09-20 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3693474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
raidenolsen - 2011-09-20 12:37 PM

Working on my full race report, but what a great day! I've never been in an event with so much support and enthusiasm throughout the day, and on that course you need it! I also had a great time at the dinner Sat. night, met some great people while we all froze our butts off.

Thought I'd be alone at the finish since my family stayed home, but SBRDave heard my name announced and found me after I crossed the line, which was cool.

Yeah, it was good to meet and talk with you for a while Matt! It was just luck that I happened to hear your name. BTW, I did finally get my massage and did I need it!

Echoing what Matt said, what terrific support from all the volunteers and race folks!! Plus the camping community, folks along the road, at the Wall, etc!! It really does help pep you up seeing all of that!

I wanted to note that the bottle exchange at the top of the the Wall was very welcomed and I thought worked well along side the clothing drop. I didn't feel hindered by the two close together and since I lost my one bottle after falling at the Wall, it was great to have it replaced right after that! Thanks Kyle Yost! And also the great mechanics at the top of the Wall who ensured my bike was good to go after the fall I took.

jcnipper and Kyle posted the YouTube link to see a teaser of the videos of folks going up or attempting the Wall (see Savageman site sidebar for the link). Though I made it up the Wall during a training ride, made a bad route decision on race day and had a spectacular fall which comes after 1:17 into the video. You'll see me come across to the right side of the street. If you view the video, don't cringe too much, especially what happens to my bike too. I have to get it checked but I was able to finish the race and get the T-shirt. I seem to be okay as well though understandably, my right side is sore since I hit the curb with it as well as my quads from all the climbs on the bike and run.

Hope all had a great day and perhaps a bit less spectacular interaction with the Wall if you were unable to get the brick! Perhaps another year. As with Matt, working on my race report too.

Edited by sbrdave 2011-09-20 3:18 PM
2011-09-21 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Here's a screen shot I grabbed from one of Kyle's YouTube videos. I didn't recall that many bikes being down around me!

(Wall_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Wall_1.jpg (71KB - 27 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » SavageMan Triathlon 70.0 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5