General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thinkin i have a slight meniscus tear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-16 3:25 PM

User image

corpus christi area
Subject: thinkin i have a slight meniscus tear
did some reading and thinking i have a slight meniscus tear. the reason i say slight is because there is a discomfort i can run, bike and swim without feeling it but when im done.  the inflamation goes up, now its not something i cant handle but its there.  so i ice/heat/ice and ibuprofen and then im ok.  according to the reading, if it limits my movements i will need some type of surgery.  i am  wondering if i can just stay off it for a while and it fixes itself???? anyone experience this. 

2011-06-16 5:54 PM
in reply to: #3553014

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
Subject: RE: thinkin i have a slight meniscus tear
I had your symptoms a few years ago. My doc said it was inflammed from overuse. I combat it by staying off tarmac, good shoes, & fewer miles. I did take an extended leave from running, but it was mostly from burn out. I would get it checked out to make sure it's not torn.
2011-06-16 7:54 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

If it's an overuse injury (i.e. no trauma), then I'd wager ITBS before meniscal tear. Esp. if the pain lessens/abates as you work out, and stiffens up afterwards.

If it IS a meniscal tear...some can heal with rest, but the majority tend to be in the avascular zone. For those, you either need to try and manage your symptoms with PT or have surgery.

But honestly, I'd A) look into ITBS first B) take some time off and RICE and C) go to a doctor.

2011-07-02 11:55 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury
Same symptoms as you, first thing Doc had me do was stop certain exercises, deep knee bends, squats told me to stop stressing the knee on purpose, added more trail runs, soft dirt roads grass running, also added more volume on the bike and no long runs over 2.5 hours and keep those to a minimum. I am heading into my 4th week of Ironman training and symptoms and pain are minimal. 
2011-07-23 12:00 PM

First off, if the pain is on the medial/inside of the knee, it is possibly a meniscus tear. There is usually a cause of the injury that involves a twisting at the knee especially after planting the foot.

If it is a meniscus tear, it will not heal itself because there is minimal blood flow to the area.

If it is on the outside of the knee, you're most likely looking at iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) as mentioned above. This is treated with stretching, rest, ice, compression and avoiding the activity that causes the pain. Once you no longer feel it day to day, you can slowly resume the exercise that bothers it, but at a lower intensity and shorter period of time. 

Either one, you will benefit from quad strengthening, hamstring/quad stretching 3x30 second holds, and hip abductor strengthening (you can look up gluteus medius muscle exercises). It will show you a sidelying straight leg raise. 

2011-07-31 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3611367

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
RunninDPT - 2011-07-23 1:00 PM

First off, if the pain is on the medial/inside of the knee, it is possibly a meniscus tear. There is usually a cause of the injury that involves a twisting at the knee especially after planting the foot.

If it is a meniscus tear, it will not heal itself because there is minimal blood flow to the area.

If it is on the outside of the knee, you're most likely looking at iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) as mentioned above. This is treated with stretching, rest, ice, compression and avoiding the activity that causes the pain. Once you no longer feel it day to day, you can slowly resume the exercise that bothers it, but at a lower intensity and shorter period of time. 

Either one, you will benefit from quad strengthening, hamstring/quad stretching 3x30 second holds, and hip abductor strengthening (you can look up gluteus medius muscle exercises). It will show you a sidelying straight leg raise. 

I experienced the same exactly thing last spring.  I thought it was a tear as well, but an MRI showed otherwise.  There was just some major irritation around where the IT band connects.  I followed the advise above and was running "normal" again in about 5 weeks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thinkin i have a slight meniscus tear Rss Feed