United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 37s
Overall Rank = 2056/3632
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 332/507
Pre-race routine:

Not much of a routine for this race. Biggest race we have ever done so we got up at 3:30am and left for transition area in the dark about 4:15 or so. It was cool riding our bikes to transition that early. Lots of people heading in and we rode the couple blocks taking it all in. I mean it is freakin early and there are lots of us heading in to set up. It was so cool.
Event warmup:

I guess walking would be my warm up. After setting up transition and walking back and forth to my bike from the different exits/entrances I sat at my bike and had a cliff bar and some gatorade. Sitting in the dark feeling very confident and watching people continue to come in looking for wave 26, where is 26? It got that I knew where most of them were, at least the general direction and was able to help out. I liked my spot. At 6 we left and went to watch the sprint distance take off and swimmers just kept coming. It was an amazing site. I went off in the 24th wave at 8:08am so I had 2hrs to just watch. It was getting hot though and standing with my wetsuit waiting to get in I knew the run would be hot later.
Swim
  • 34m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't get off to a good start at all. They put you in the water 1min before the bell. My wave was still getting in the water as the bell sounded. I was one of them waiting and we had to wait. The stairs put you in the middle of the pack so we had to wait until the back of the pack got by. Then I jump in and haven't put my goggles on yet so I tread water and struggle to get them on and not get run over. What this did do was leave some open water for me to swim in and not get to crowded. I got into a good groove heading south and made the turn without incident. One the way back I started getting worried about making the cut back towards the wall at the start finish line and swim sidestroke a bit. I had to go to the bathroom the entire swim and could not go while swimming and wasn't about to stop and tread water. The swim went pretty well, I figured my time was faster than this but overall I am pleased. Biggest body of water and the most competitors I have every swam in so finishing this was cool.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water early when the announce my wave. I would rather treadwater the 60 secs and just float to the back as people enter than have to wait to get into the water. Definately cost me a minute or so.

Still more swim training. The mile isn't as intimidating now that I have done it 3 times. I need to work on being consistant and swimming strong.
Transition 1
  • 08m 30s
Comments:

I took my time on the 1/2 mile run to the transition area, at least to my bike. We had a good 500 meters from exit of swim to run around the pier to T1. I walked most of it wanting to save my legs. I wasn't worried about time however I was very annoyed I couldn't get my wetsuit off my ankles quickly.

Next year I will have different goals than I did for this race. Next year I run to T1.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 44s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal on the bike was to just cruise. Not fast and definately not what I would consider race pace. Holding back at times was difficult but my strategy for this race was to enjoy it. Take in the sights on the bike and run. The bike was awesome, as you head back towards T2 you see the Sears Tower come in to view and the skyline all along the course was cool. Riding with traffic on the right two lanes was pretty cool. Awesome bike ride although a smooth rode would be incredibly fast. I saw lots of flat tires, I guess with as many competitors the percentage may be the same at other races it was a lot of flat tires.

For this race, NOTHING. I did what I wanted to do and that was keep the speed controlled and ride about 85%. I did that and felt great getting off the bike. Next year, I will go race pace.
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

As I came into T2 I took my bike shoes off and carried them instead of running in them. I had quite the hike back to the bike, less than a 1/4 mile but I didn't want to run in my shoes. It felt great actually. Took my time getting from bike rack to exit but overall pretty good.

Nothing really except be quicker from bike to run start.
Run
  • 1h 03m 16s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

My whole goal was to run the run. I didn't want to walk and I certainly didn't want a repeat of a couple of weeks ago. The course was well marked and had some little inclines that were not long but enough to burn the thighs a bit. The one problem I had was seeing the Mile Marker 4 twice at the turn around. The first time you see it you haven't turned around yet and I was trying to figure out how that was possible. Then at the turn around you come back by the 4 and you realize your mistake and you still have 4+ to go. From mile 3-5 was the toughest part. The water stations were a little farther apart and the confusion of mile 4. I still knew I had only 20min's left so I wasn't too worried. I caught up with Mark at mile 6 and had I known it was just around the bend I would of ran in with him but I thought I had 1/2 mile to go or so. He said the same he would of picked up the pace and ran in with me had he known. I planned on 10 min miles going in and again being able to enjoy the experience.

Nothing on this run. I guess know the course but I have that going for next year. Next year I run the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Well I was definately hot coming across the finish line 5hrs after the first wave started and feeling the sun beating down on me led me straight to the big fans spraying water. Oh so refreshing. Eric was there at the finish line waiting with water and Gatorade, very nice. I needed something cold to drink but that didn't seem to be around anywhere. Found some shade and sat and talked with Eric and Mark. I felt great. I wasn't sore, tired and actually hungry. I am usually not hungry for a while after a race. This was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me, I wanted to take this race comfortable. I wanted to just enjoy it and not blow up on the run. More of a confidence boost than anything. I could of gone faster and been fine but I didn't want to push any one event.

Event comments:

I will definatley do this race again. So much fun. I was able to do my race and enjoy the experience. Worlds largest triathlon and I was there. 7500 bikes in transition and mine was one of them. The pros were there and I was with them. Just a very cool experiece. Next year I want to see how well I can do here. The bike course is fast and even holding back I was up to 30mph on some of the declines, as there are no real hills or anything. The run course is hot but can be a good course once you know it and the swim is basically a straight shot. I would probably want to stay Sunday night next year and not have to worry about checking out of the hotel.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:23 | 1640 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/507
Overall: 2425/3632
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Stealth
Course: South towards the museums about 400 meters then north along pier another 1100.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:44 | 24.8 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Overall: 1878/3632
Wind: Little
Course: A two loop course that travels up Lake Shore Drive. Very bumpy road in places where they have tried to patch the potholes but still a lot of potholes.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:16 | 06.2 miles | 10m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 2110/3632
Course: To say an out and back isn't quite right but it is an out and then a turn around and you eventually veer off towards the finish. Hot is how I would descibe this course, I thought there might be some shade running through some parks but there was very very little shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-30 9:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Accenture Chicago Triathlon

2005-08-30 2:01 PM
in reply to: #237332

Extreme Veteran
IL
Subject: RE: Accenture Chicago Triathlon

Great job!  Talk about an experience; all those athletes out there at the same time!  I can't wait for next year.

2005-08-30 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
We were probably out there at almost the same time! Which wave were you in? I was in 31. Nice work out there... It ***WAS*** hot, wasn't it???
2005-08-30 3:39 PM

User image

West Lafayette, Indiana

Nice job on the race Jim.  Looks like you accomplished what you set out to do and had a good time overall. Hope you decide to do the race at Purdue.  It would be nice to get to race with you again.

T.J.

2005-08-30 4:01 PM
in reply to: #237561

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Whizzer,

I was in wave 24.

2005-08-31 8:22 AM
in reply to: #237612

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Hey Jim,

Great race! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Good job on holding back on the bike. Next year you will be much faster without all the sickness. Thanks for a cool race report and sharing your experience.

2005-08-31 11:39 AM

User image

I am glad we all were able to have so much fun!  Great race!  Can't wait till next year!

2005-09-06 8:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I have added some photos.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon Rss Feed