Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 21s
Overall Rank = 35/438
Age Group = M 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 6/38
Pre-race routine:

Goals as of 6/13/11: Swim: 1:40/100 Bike: 21 mph Run: 7:30 min/mile
Actual: Swim: 1:26/100 Bike: 21.7 mph Run: 7:20 min/mile

Normal breakfast of waffles, banana, coffee and water. Got a decent transition spot on the outside, so a bit easier to find. Transition was arranged so there was no distance advantage from spot to spot.
Event warmup:

Got my T spot and body marked, then finished setting up transition. Walked around to check out entries and exits, then walked and jogged part of the run. It was very humid. Visited the porta-potty, ate a Gu and some water, then met up with the BT crowd at the swim exit. I saw Emily and got to meet Jared, Dan and Bryan, and we all had a nice visit.
Swim
  • 12m 40s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me. I ran into the water hard and swam the first fifty or so hard so avoided contact. I was swimming side-by-side with another swimmer, so I slowed down a bit and got on his feet and drafted him around the first buoy, but he then pulled away. Got into a nice rhythm and swam steady with someone on my feet most of the way. Only downsides were that I drank one mouthful of water and someone swam over my legs at about the halfway point which slowed my down momentarily - they were going sideways! Swim exit was fine with mats in the water to protect feet from the shore rocks.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

No issues. My T1 time was going to be a bit slow due to my bike placement in relation to the bike exit. But T2 should be faster.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 40m 5s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 21.70 mile/hr
Comments:

This tied my best bike pace ever although the course was hillier. First ride with my new race wheels with faster tubes and tires. I could tell the difference on the flats as I could maintain 25+ mph much easier than with my basic wheels/tires. I hadn't done a ton of riding, so was very happy with this pace given the somewhat hilly course.

I am conservative cornering, so tend to I lose time there. Other riders consistently pulled away from me on corners. Going down doesn't sound like much fun though.....
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Got off bike just fine and ran in pretty hard and spotted my bright orange towel no problem, but also saw that two women were standing right in my spot taking a picture! I hollared,"You're in my spot!", and they looked surprised but didn't move so I followed up with "I need to put my bike RIGHT THERE" and pointed at the rack. They then jumped out of the way just ss I got to my spot. Racked bike and got helmet off no problem. Got my running shoes on in about average time, grabbed my hat and then started moving, took about 3 steps, realized I forgot my race belt, so turned around, grabbed it, then ran to the exit and clipped it on.

Not have people standing in my transition spot! Got me a bit flustered I think.
Run
  • 22m
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me. VERY steady pace as I hit the turnaround at 11:02 and finished in 22:00. Goal was 7:40 miles and I ran 7:20s.

Push the last 1/2 mile harder as I had a bit left in the tank.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and walked around to cool down. Stetched a bit then sat down to self-massage my calves. Met the BT gang and some other friends and chatted. Checked results, grabbed some food and more liquid then watched rewards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of formal speed or track work to get the feel for faster pacing. Not a lot of biking in the spring, was pretty run-focused.

Event comments:

First time race for me and I really liked it. 2 years ago I missed the signup and last year had surgery the night before the race, so was excited to finally get to do it. Very well oganized with plenty of volunteers and it is only about 5 miles from home!

Last updated: 2010-10-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:40 | 880 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/38
Overall: 33/438
Performance: Good
Suit: Neosport sleeveless
Course: Point to point swim with buoys on your right. Nice course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:05 | 14.5 miles | 21.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/38
Overall: 37/438
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Some rollers with one larger hill at the turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:00 | 03 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/38
Overall: 77/438
Course: Flat and fast out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-18 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Lake Minnetonka Triathlon

2011-06-20 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3555561

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Lake Minnetonka Triathlon
Great job out there. This really is a nicely set up and race. It was nice to meet you, hope to see you again soon.
2011-06-20 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3557864

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Lake Minnetonka Triathlon
It was fun racing with you, I enjoyed your company before and after!  That's the fun side of not having any personal spectators - you can hang around and do what you want.  I think you did an awesome job!!!  I am looking forward to coming back to this race next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Minnetonka Triathlon Rss Feed