General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Topeka, Kansas
United States
Ultramax Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 3s
Overall Rank = 43/201
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/25
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in Topeka, staying at my parents house. Didn't get very good sleep, but I don't think that really effected me. Got up at 5:00am, out the door at 5:20, and was parked by 5:40. Had a bagel with peanut butter, some OJ, and a 1/2 mix of gatorade. I got a good transition spot, one right on the end which made it easy to spot.
Event warmup:

Did an easy 1 mile run, and got to swim a little before they kicked everybody out of the water.
Swim
  • 05m 10s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was great, no waves, little current, temp was awesome. This was definitely my best OWS to date, and I was a little surprised how quickly I got into a groove and going. Breathing went well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I felt great the entire time
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

A fairly long run to my bike, and I was feeling a little disoriented. Once I got to my bike, got my shoes on, shirt on partially, helmet on and took off. I was okay with the time.

Ride with shoes clipped in, but I'm not ready for it yet.
Bike
  • 43m 49s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is where everything fell apart for me. First, my bike computer was not working, and as usual, my bike wasn't shifting correctly. I started off with a very high HR coming out of the swim, and it took a while to get it down. It was kinda weird being in the front of the race. My group went first for the race, and as far as I know I was 3rd out of transition, so there were only 2 people in front of me. just kinda different.

Everything was alright during the race except for a police officer telling me to make a left turn, instead of telling me to go straight. I ended up turning, stopping, then getting back up to speed. I then got passed by 5 people... pissed...

On the way into T2, my R shoe fell off. Don't know how. But again I had to stop and pick it up. These may have slowed my overall time quite a bit.

Not lose my shoe, ignore the po-po, Just ride more in training. I know I need and can improve the most on the bike, and I'm excited to see some increase in speed
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Good time, nothing out of the ordinary
Run
  • 22m 10s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were hurting at the start, but seemed to fade. The hills killed me, though. It was a tougher course, and although I'm not too excited about my time, I did kick at the finish. Just an average time, was hoping to be closer to 7:00 miles.

more hill preparation
Post race
Warm down:

trying not to lose my breakfast

What limited your ability to perform faster:

EQUIPMENT, volunteers, lack of training recently

Event comments:

I felt like they could have used more volunteers, but everything was great. there was some severe weather in the area during the night that destroyed the site, but they did a good job of getting everything back together.

Last updated: 2010-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:10 | 400 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/25
Overall: 16/201
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Weird loop, like a triangle. Buoys to the Left the whole time.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:49 | 13 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 97/201
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Mapped course, intersections blocked with cops, some cars on route though
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:10 | 03 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 32/201
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty hilly, lots of ups and downs, I don't think there was a flat section of the run.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-18 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-06-18 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3555590

User image

Regular
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course

Nice race, you smoked that swim.. Too bad you had those few follies on the bike.

2011-06-19 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3555670

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course

Great race! It's amazing, looking through the results, how many places a guy could pick up shaving 5 minutes off of his time. Sorry you had the 5-0 telling you the wrong route, that sucks.

We seriously need to organize a meet and greet at one of these races, would be a cool opportunity to meet some fellow Bt'ers that are in the same boat as me. Some of you other guys are in a boat too, just a way faster one than I am.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed