United States
FS Series Event Production Company
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 25s
Overall Rank = 240/246
Age Group = Clydesdale - 38
Age Group Rank = 17/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am...could not sleep due to nerves. Ate 3/4 cup of almond, banana chip, craisin mix. Drank a 32 oz orange gatorade. Left home @ 6:00am, drove to SRAC (10 minutes) Got marked up, set up in transition, ate a banana.
Event warmup:

Was seeded #365, so I had an hour wait before I got into the pool. Around 8:15, I drank a G1 packet (orange), then started stretching.
Swim
  • 10h 22m 2s
  • 273 yards
  • 3h 47m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very slow swim. I was not prepared to cross under the ropes. (I should have been prepared for this...but honestly did not put a lot of effort into the swim training) I usually swim this in about 8:30...but a couple of things slowed me down. Crossing under the ropes hurt my time, but I also got passed by a lot of people. probably 12 or more. There were some very fast swimmers in the rear of the pack for some reason...and this really messed me up. I stopped at the end of at least 3 lanes to let people go by...because we were so congested. Don't know if they registered late and did not submit a time...or if I was really just that slow...but that kinda sucked. Also, I am kind of a big guy...and I almost had a wardrobe malfunction on the first lap. Halfway down the first lane, my left hand caught a timing strap (which had fallen off of the lady in front of me), then...my swimming trunks almost came off! Apparently, I had not tied them up good enough or something...but I almost put on a good show for the front row. This obviously slowed my first few laps down a tad.
What would you do differently?:

Practice the turns more. Buy me some trunks that fit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I swam in the clothes that I was going to ride in, so the only thing I had to do was put my shoes on. A buddy told me to take a 5 gallon bucket with me to sit on during the transition, which turned out to be great. I felt a little stupid carrying a bucket in...but I am really glad I did. Since I am a little bigger than the rest of the group...it made putting on my shoes a lot easier.

Not much...I obviously can be much faster than this with practice, but overall, I think it went pretty well for the first time. I rate this as below average because compared to every one else...it was. But I thought it was OK since it was my first time.
Bike
  • 56h 42m
  • 14 miles
  • 0.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I did really well here. My best time on 14 miles thus far in practice had been 59 minutes. I knocked over 2 minutes off of that time today. Very pleased with that. I was passed by quite a few people with TRI-bikes...but I also passed some folks too, maybe 6 people overall. Did this with a Diamondback Outlook Mountain Bike ($350)

Keep practicing. More seat time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

This transition was really good. I wore my running shoes to ride in, so there was nothing for me to change into. I did change shirts. I did not have a running belt for bib...so I pinned it to another shirt and just swapped shirts.
Run
  • 42h 04m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13h 34m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Up to this point, I had only ran one other 5K in competition and that was in Oct of 2010. My time then was 41:16. So this was a little slower...BUT, I know I have improved b/c I also swam and biked today. So I cannot be disappointed with this time. It was slowest in my age group and only faster than 3 other men in the whole race...but I weigh 280 lbs! So, I am tickled that I finished. It was very humid and by the time I got to the run portion, the sun was out and it was hot. I also am proud of the fact that I ran the whole time...I did not walk any portion of the 3.1 miles.

Work on losing the rest of this weight and the times should improve.
Post race
Warm down:

This was the worst part of the event for me. When I finished, I got me some water and tried to cool down. I ate 1/2 a banana...and then like a fool I ate 1/2 of a FRIED Chic-fil-a sandwich about 20 minutes after my race ended. Not the smartest thing I did today. I almost threw up after eating that. I held it together...but I will not ever do that again. I went back for an orange slice and some gatorade which helped settle my stomach. I stretched a bit and walked around some, watched the awards...then packed it up and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

280 lbs.

Event comments:

This was my first (of hopefully many) triathlons. I was very impressed with FS Series. I thought they did a great job. The SRAC did an awesome job hosting this event. We are members @ SRAC and I was proud of our volunteers and staff.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
10:22:02 | 273 yards | 3h 47m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/17
Overall: 245/246
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
56:42:00 | 14 miles | 0.25 mile/hr
Overall: 236/246
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: I have only been riding since January...so I thought the course had more hills than advertised...but I guess to an experienced rider, it would not have been bad. To a newbie, some of the hills were tough. Great course overall. There were a few potholes but they were clearly marked. And the railroad tracks were quite bumpy. But other than that...ok.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
42:04:00 | 03.1 miles | 13h 34m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 243/246
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat, partly shady. Good course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-18 7:26 PM

Subject: 3 Little Pigs Triathlon

2011-06-18 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3555928

User image

Regular
Whites Creek, Tennessee
Subject: RE: 3 Little Pigs Triathlon
Good job! It is always fun to pass people on a mountain bike (I raced 3 tris on one until I got a road bike)

Good job and hope to see you a few more!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Little Pigs Triathlon Rss Feed