United States
Hawaii Swim
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 41s
Overall Rank = 99/186
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/13
Pre-race routine:

Completely packed my stuff and loaded everything in my vehicle the night prior. Up at 3am, out the door at 3:30am. Took about an hour to get to the event site. I was able to get an "end rack". Set up my stuff, talked with other beginner triathletes from my training group that decided to do the race (6 of us). Got my markings, chip and ate a banana.
Event warmup:

Short jog to loosen up before the start.
Swim
  • 12m 14s
  • 400 yards
  • 03m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a combat swim the entire time. I actually had someone deliberately push me to get around a buoy. The start was very congested. Lot of coral heads. It did not present a problem for me, but a couple of my buddies had blood drawn when they contacted the reef. Sighting went well. The worst thing about the entire swim is the long run up the beach. Heart rate spike while running in the sand and uphill. The swim time includes this long run so we don't really get a good time on the swim alone.
What would you do differently?:

The length of the swim felt ok. I had the endurance. I just need to work on swimming faster. Just need more training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

While there is always room for improvement, I felt good about my T1 for my level of experience. Ditching socks was a good decision and it helped me transition much faster than my last triathlon. I used a pan with water to get the sand and debris off my feet. Wiped feet with a small towel and slipped on my bike shoes.

I shouldn't have sat down to put on my bike shoes. I did not do it while practicing so I am not sure what possessed me to do it during the race.
Bike
  • 29m 59s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.01 mile/hr
Comments:

As a beginner it has been my goal to average 20mph or more and I was able to do it during this race. To my surprise, I passed quite a few people. One thing that slowed me down was taking nutrition (gel). I wanted have some fuel for the run since I did not eat much before the race. On way back I caught up to a group that was really racing hard. We were passing and re-passing each other all the way back T2. I made a decision to ride without socks to get better transition times. It presented no problem during the race.

I just need more time in the saddle. Do more hill work to get stronger and practice taking my nutrition while riding at race pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I felt I had a good T2. Racked bike, helmet off. Removed bike shoes, slipped on running shoes. Grabbed my race belt and headed for the exit. Clipped on race belt while running to the exit.

I don't think I would do anything different. I just need to get experience to get faster.
Run
  • 29m 55s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my biggest challenge. While I am slow, I have been steadily improving. Small improvements, but improving nonetheless. That said, I did my best running today. I have been practicing to have negative splits and I usually start out around 12 min/mile and end somewhere around 11:30 or 11:00. However, today, I started out around 10:15-10:30. My calves were tightening up and actually tingling, but I knew that would go away in about half a mile or so. At 1.5 miles I was running somewhere in the high 9s. I grabbed 2 cups of water. Drank one and poured the other over my head. It was really refreshing and gave me a boost. During the last mile I was running below 9... somewhere around 8:45. I have never run like that before! Maybe it was the excitement of the event. I also ran without socks for the first time.

I am not sure I would do anything different. I just need more experience and training miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really warm down. Went to the finish line to cheer for buddies that were still on the course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of experience limited my ability to perform faster. I just need to put in the training.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race. It is one of those events that make racing "fun"! Before the start I asked the RD if we had to wear swim caps and he said, "Heck no, this is the north shore. As long as you are wearing shorts we don't care. Just go out and have fun. Unofficially you can even wear an ipod. Just keep the volume low enough to hear potential problems... enjoy!" It is a perfect event for beginners. The elites were tearing up the course.

Last updated: 2011-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:14 | 400 yards | 03m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 101/186
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Top and Tri Shorts
Course: Counter clockwise triangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:59 | 10 miles | 20.01 mile/hr
Overall: 33/186
Wind: None
Course: I have ridden in this area before and the wind can get pretty bad. However, we were able to get on the course before the wind kicked up. The course is basically an out and back ride. The turn around is a loop through a neighborhood with a slight uphill. There are some rough sections that can rattle the bike quite a bit. Other than the rough sections, the course is fast.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:55 | 03 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 146/186
Course: The course is a very simple up and back loop with no turns. There is one water station at the half way point. There are cars traveling, however, police officers were keeping us safe.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-19 12:31 AM

User image

Honolulu
Subject: North Shore Triathlon

2011-06-21 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3556107

Subject: RE: North Shore Triathlon
I hope to do this in 2013. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! It helped to learn more about the event.
2011-06-21 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Right On!  Way to good on your race, especially the run.  What part of Oahu are you from?
2011-06-22 7:32 PM

User image

Honolulu
@utahrunner - I live in Honolulu
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Shore Triathlon Rss Feed