General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-05-08 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3556416

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread

I got this blog from the 'other site'  closest I've seen to actually describing the swim.

At 3:30am RAR and I headed out to Sandhollow Reservoir to do a little volunteering/support for the IronMan swimmers.  I have never had the opportunity to see 1500 people swimming in one spot before, so I was pretty exited to get my feet wet, um, so to speak.  The closest thing that I have even come to 1500 people swimming in the the same spot was the Flogging Molly concert that I went to in Mesa AZ.  Lets just say that I saw shoes being ejected from the pit and several fellers leaving for some medical attention.

It was dark, and colder than I was prepared for.  We were joined by RAR's 13 year old son,  a designated lifeguard, and her father.  That's right - her dad came as a chaperon.  He kept insisting that she was a freshman, but c'mon now.  Let's not church anything up.  She was a 9th grader.  No big deal.  How bad could this thing really go, right?

The start time was approaching, and the sun was starting to rise.  A light breeze started to pick up just as the sun crested Mollies Nipple (that is not a spelling error - the USGS Quad map calls it Mollies, not Molly's.  I guess that there must be several of them).  The gun went off the pro's were in the water and the wind picked up.  There was some bantering back and forth on the radio's on whether or not the main group of swimmers should get in the water.  A giant dust cloud was approaching from the north.  I was nervous.  More banter.  Ranger Rick confirmed that the dust cloud was just smoke from the Toquerville fire and the main race dude, the one with the accent, gave the go ahead.

No sooner were the swimmers swimming, the wind storm arrived.  I managed to snatch a couple of videos before the wind got too crazy.

Exhibit A - Hey cool.  Look at all of the swimmers.  Wow, the wind is picking up a bit....

video

Exhibit B - Uh, wow - this is getting gnarly.  Our first swimmer was bailing...

video

The phone went away at this point.    The wind got way worse and we started to take on waves coming over the bow of the boat.  I was soaking wet and freezing and the chaos had just begun.  Our lifeguard was in a panic and was freezing.  I tossed a wet suit to her and told her to put her game face on because things were about to get epic.  Swimmers were signaling for help and I was tossing a ski rope out to them.  I caught a swimmer with every cast.  We had a boat full of swimmers and a then swamped kayaker showed up and needed help.  It took myself and the lifeguard's dad to get the kayak emptied out.

I have seen some crazy days on a boat, but this - this was scary.  As we headed back to the dock to drop off our first run of swimmers I was hoping like mad that my three swimmers were okay.  The dock was crazy.  We managed to get all of the swimmers off of the boat without smashing anybody and with them went RAR's son (seasick and barfing) and the lifeguard.  That's right, I said the lifeguard.  Gone.

We headed out for another boat load and started taking on all sorts of water.  The waves were crashing over the bow of the boat faster than that the bilge pump could handle.  We were standing in water, in the boat.  We decided that we needed to get the boat on the trailer and let it drain or we were going to have some troubles.  Another boat had arrived at the dock and was getting it's kicked so I jumped off the front of the boat and swam to shore.  By the time I got the trailer in the water, the boat was so full of water that we couldn't get it on the trailer.  It took 10 guys and a skid steer to drag and push it onto the trailer.  I was standing in the boat - in it - in water up to my knees.  Two other boats had been beached, and there were talks of two ranger boats that had completely sunk.
With some stroke of luck, my phone still worked and Fisher's lovely bride answered her phone and confirmed that Fisher, Dave and Dave's dad had made it out of the water alive.  Seriously, I can not believe that no one drowned in the end.

Fisher and Dave finished the IronMan with six minutes to spare.  My hat is off.  Seriously, anyone that made the swim is one gnarly individual.  Nice work.  I was in a boat, with a life jacket on, and I was convinced that my wife would be making a life insurance claim.

Many thanks to the good help the lifegaurd's dad turned out to be.  You are a good man.

RAR's boat?  He'll be making a claim to the insurance for sure.  Let's just say the damage was significant.

Wowsers.

2012-05-08 12:45 PM

Can you provide a link? I can't get the videos to run and would love to see them.
2012-05-08 4:12 PM

User image

Master
2012-05-08 4:19 PM

User image

Master
As to the comment with people being allowed to go forward after the cutoff - it really did happen.  I was there.....and watched them go.  The volunteers were wonderful - let me into the T1 are to help my hubby, and I saw alot.  Scary stuff, and lots of chips NOT being pulled after 2:20 - or even 2:30.  My DH could NOT have carried on, but I bet there were others that may have been able to make it work.  It wasn't a consistent decision - there was no method in the madness.  SUCH a tough day, out of the control of WTC.  However, there should have been a plan to implement.  At one point, they told me that they had 'lost' (actually - 'temporarily misplaced') the 150+ bikes that were left at Sand Hollow.  This was after they told me to come back to get the bike - and it was gone.
2012-05-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4198270

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I heard people were in the water for almost 3 hours.  That's not right or safe.   

WTC just created a wetsuit division for IMTX.  It comes with a 10 minute delayed start behind the others.  The water temp right now is 84 degrees.  Seems safe right?     

2012-05-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4199679

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
3Aims - 2012-05-09 10:30 AM

I heard people were in the water for almost 3 hours.  That's not right or safe.   

WTC just created a wetsuit division for IMTX.  It comes with a 10 minute delayed start behind the others.  The water temp right now is 84 degrees.  Seems safe right?     

That's madness. I did a HIM a couple years ago with temps at 75 degrees, never again, overheated so fast. And its not just water temp but full sun blasting down on black rubber. Can't even imagine jacking the temp up 10 degrees.

I agree, not safe at all.

They're doing it, I guess, to get the most people over the finish line, DNF rates effect registration. So does taking the wetsuit away. IMHO people 'expect' a finish. Experience be damned. No finish equates to feeling ripped off. Sadly, this is what athletes want. God forbid I have to swim without a wetsuit.

And there are plenty of people beatching about the 10 minute penalty for using a wetsuit.

2012-05-10 10:13 PM

User image

carlsbad

im going to be an A$$ right now but this thread is dead and whoever can beat me up.  whatever.  

people cut the bike and run course too.  my wife got pulled at mile 66 and witnessed some really shady stuff.  I know someone who ran their fastest IM and mary ever. "passed me" and beat me by 45min but i never saw him on the run course after lap 1.  I've looked at some of the results... you biked 810 and smashed a 3:30 mary? you biked 6:17 and ran 3:16 ( much more believable)  

some things don't add up.  anyway, its over, who cares.  Were headed to cda so she can fulfill her dream. 

2012-05-10 10:39 PM

User image

carlsbad
oh and since im talking to myself.  Im def not saying it was done on purpose if at all.  i had a hard time remembering and was disoriented several times
2012-05-11 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
N worries... I think this race left a few scars on us all! What's next for you then... Cda?
2012-05-11 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I don't know about the bike or run, but IMO anyone who went to the left of the island was trying to cheat. I do know that a lot of people were stopped and sent back around.
2012-05-11 1:07 PM

User image

carlsbad
yeah, we snagged a foundation slot for CDA for her. ( St george was her first and she really want to accomplish her goal of doing an Ironman.)    One of her girlfriends was pulled off the bike to so now we all get to hang at cda.  Im pumped cause i can chill and run around getting pics of everyone. 

2012-05-11 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4203797

User image

ridingsdc - 2012-05-10 9:39 PM oh and since im talking to myself.  Im def not saying it was done on purpose if at all.  i had a hard time remembering and was disoriented several times

We were at the finishing line watching the first finishers come in......after a few of the top guys(can't remember the exact order) came in an age grouper comes trotting down the chute. The announcer had to tell him he still had more laps to go. We were all sitting there wondering how you loose track of loops on a marathon. He must have been out of it.

Edited by johnyutah5 2012-05-11 1:25 PM
2012-05-11 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4204923

Master
, California

ridingsdc - 2012-05-11 11:07 AM yeah, we snagged a foundation slot for CDA for her. ( St george was her first and she really want to accomplish her goal of doing an Ironman.)    One of her girlfriends was pulled off the bike to so now we all get to hang at cda.  Im pumped cause i can chill and run around getting pics of everyone. 

You will love CdA.  Great venue, awesome community support

2012-05-11 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4204923

User image

Master

ridingsdc - 2012-05-11 11:07 AM yeah, we snagged a foundation slot for CDA for her. ( St george was her first and she really want to accomplish her goal of doing an Ironman.)    One of her girlfriends was pulled off the bike to so now we all get to hang at cda.  Im pumped cause i can chill and run around getting pics of everyone. 

GREAT!  Although, that was my plan at IMSG, and this was my Dh's first DNF, ever.  No pics after 8:00 am......

2012-05-12 9:00 AM

User image

carlsbad

I'm sorry that happend.  That wind storm was so weird and out of no where. I think it was the super moons fault.  It was the closest to earth ever or something like that.

I did CDA last year so I know all the places to run around to for the good pics.  Love the area and finishing chute! looooonnggg  

2012-05-12 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4206063

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
ridingsdc - 2012-05-12 9:00 AM

I'm sorry that happend.  That wind storm was so weird and out of no where. I think it was the super moons fault.  It was the closest to earth ever or something like that.

I did CDA last year so I know all the places to run around to for the good pics.  Love the area and finishing chute! looooonnggg  

I wish her all the best and good on her for not letting go of her dream!! Can't wait to hear she finished!

My next race is a 50 mile ultra, having not used my IM build has turned out to be really useful in this endevor.

2012-05-12 6:43 PM

User image

carlsbad
oh thats cool, kinda works out perfectly. Glad to see we're all tryin to make lemonade out of thisSmile ( freakin expensive lemonade though) har har
2012-05-17 2:53 PM

Veteran

Congratulations to everyone who participated in this epic event.

I put a race report up for this one:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=440947

Good job to all and hopefully our next races will feel easier compared to that! Good luck, all.

Ryan

2012-05-18 12:01 AM
in reply to: #4215605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
RJohnson1979 - 2012-05-17 12:53 PM

Congratulations to everyone who participated in this epic event.

I put a race report up for this one:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=440947

Good job to all and hopefully our next races will feel easier compared to that! Good luck, all.

Ryan

Great job Ryan! This was one of those days where you just have to throw the time expectations out the window and be proud of finishing with such extraordinary conditions.

Brad

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32