General Discussion Race Reports! » Sacramento International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sacramento International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Herald, California
United States
TBF Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 36s
Overall Rank = 68/192
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

This race I selected due to timing and money. It was significantly cheaper than a closer race and looked like the course was a bit better. I knew I wanted to do an Oly about this time. However, I had to drive to the race the morning of. So my pre-race routine consisted of normal breakfast (eggs & oatmeal) and then a 2 hour drive to the race which I downed a full water bottle and coffee.

When I arrived I signed up for USAT membership (unplanned extra 15 minutes) and then got my packet. I realized I forgot my race belt which well, made me spend 20 minutes pinning everything to my shirt....grrr. I got all my stuff laid out and had a good spot in transition to be able to get to everything, so that was nice.
Event warmup:

I rode my bike for maybe a half mile to check everything and then stretched out. I headed down to the water about 10 minutes before the race and just went out and did about 200 or so. Then waited and was ready.
Swim
  • 22m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I intended not to go too hard on the swim really focusing on letting someone else lead and following their feet. Initially my choice to follow was just too slow, so I took the lead momentarily, but found another person to follow. This went well until the last turn in which the leader went WAY wide and I didn't figure that out until about halfway down the back stretch. But no worries, I kept the HR down, felt smooth the whole way.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I wanted to follow a leader and go easy on the swim, and despite the fast time, I didn't feel like I put out a large of energy.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't have my shoes in my bike AND I had to put a shirt on. This was bad and this transition took me about 3:00. It was miserable!

Always wear a shirt under wetsuit. Put shoes in bike.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 16s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out on the bike with the specific intention of just keeping a smooth cadence. Not pushing it too hard, really focusing on being comfortable so that when I got to the run I would be relatively fresh. This was really to focus on developing a pace for my ironman race.

So, I took it out VERY slow (probably about 19mph) on the way out. I pushed it a bit harder on the way back as I was frustrated with how slow I was riding. I ended up averaging about 19.4mph so I believe I was going about 20mph on the way back.

NOTE: The way the race did time, both transitions are looped into the bike time. By my estimation my actual bike time was about 1:17. Need to be down at 1:08

Need to figure out if I can push the pace a little bit because taking 5 or 6 minutes off the bike is necessary.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Need to put my quick laces in my shoes. Otherwise, not so bad.
Run
  • 51m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of the run DETERMINED not to push my run too hard. Again, focus was on ironman distance. Got out of transition determined to run slow. I kept what felt like a comfortable pace out of the gate and really didn't feel like I was pushing it at all. At mile marker one though, I was at 8:17 pace. That was to fast (probably not, but it was). So I tried to back off, but I think it just slowed over time due to the hills because while I backed off my pace stayed at 8:30 for mile 2. The 8:30-8:45 pace was comfortable for the rest of the run.

Nothing really. I kept a comfortable pace. I think I could have pushed the run harder if I had wanted to, but overall can't complain.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike

Event comments:

They didn't use timing chips which was weird. Otherwise, it was a good race. There were just two aid stations on the run, would have liked a third.

Overall, nice course, nice race.

Last updated: 2011-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:43 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/192
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good