St. Anthony's Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 32s
Overall Rank = 2723/3124
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 104/126
Pre-race routine:

Got up, dressed and ate an english muffin. I like staying here. I was able to set up my transition, and then come back to the B&B to really eat breakfast. I am much more relaxed before this race than ever before. I was actually able to eat. I remember when I did this race 2 years ago, I could barely get down a few nibbles of food due to nerves.
Event warmup:

I jogged over to transition, but not much of a warmup. I got to see the pros head out on their bikes. Very cool
Swim
  • 23m 30s
  • 1000 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was comfortable in the water. I got kicked around pretty good for the first 1/3. The first turn was the worst, with lots of people bunched up there. I only got passed by 3 people from the wave after and I passed a few from the previous wave. Just before the last turn in, I adjusted my cap which was slipping off and my goggles kept leaking after that. The saltwater burned my eyes which made the squinting from the sun even worse,
What would you do differently?:

Wear dark goggles. I was having a tougher time sighting due to sun.
Transition 1
  • 08m 31s
Comments:

I was faaaaaaaaaar from bike out, but I did run with my bike, which I don't always have the energy to do.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 1h 32m 36s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Guy in front of me screwed up his flying start and his shoe fell off his pedal in front of me and then he stopped quickly. I avoided him, but it wasn't what I had in mind for the start of the bike. After yesterdays bike, I wanted to be fast. There were times when I felt like I was really cruising. but I guess all the slowing down for turns and a few areas of increased headwind slowed down my average. I was hoping to pull a 17mph average, but I will take 16. Early in the race, there was a 3 bike pileup of girls right in front of me since 1 hit a cone (why, I can't fathom). I was the next in line to tumble, but I managed to slow down and go around them. Good on me for that. I also practiced eating from my new bento box and also rode a little in the drops. Good on me for that too.

Avg Power 105. My critical power is 111 so I think that is okay.

Go faster
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I forgot to take my gloves off. Oops.

Go faster
Run
  • 1h 10m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I am just a terrible runner. My feet don't like to lift off the ground. I just shuffle. I just don't know what to do. I did negative split though.

I wish I knew the answer. I need to run faster but finding out how I can do that seems to be like finding the Holy Grail. I need to go faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Yeajackson finished a few minutes after me. We went and got our times and gathered our stuff from transition and headed back to the B&B. WE had to rush to shower and change to get to our brunch at Oystercatchers which was about 30 min away. Great brunch on the recommendation of Buttercup who we met there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running is my achilles heel (pun intended). I have been searching for the magic that will make

Event comments:

Great race. I will definitely come back again. I think it will likely be an every other year kinda thing.

Last updated: 2010-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:30 | 1000 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/126
Overall: 2606/3124
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Swim course was changed due to wind causing chop in the bay. The swim now started as a beach entry North of transition and was a triangle ending on the same beach. Long .4 mile run back to transition which was a bummer.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:36 | 24.85 miles | 16.10 mile/hr
Overall: 2793/3124
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A bit of a technical ride with 20 something turns. A few speed bumps too. 15 mph winds with 21 mph gusts.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:10:49 | 06.21 miles | 11m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 0/3124
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice flat run through the neighborhood of St. Pete's. Great people out on their front lawns cheering us on and watering us down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes