Age Group Rank = 4/28
Event warmup:

Jogged
Swim
  • 09m 10s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Um, I suck at open water swimming! It was so dark. The lake was a mineral lake and kind of resembled swimming in a vat of coffee grounds. I knew swimming wasn't my strong suit and it went about as expected but something I didn't plan for is how emotionally degrading it was. It sorta stuck with me into the second loop of the bike.

One thing I did do well was sighting. No issues there.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my open water swimming. I need to get more comfortable in the suit and with not being able to see. It threw everything off.

Oh, I need to not be such a baby as well. I should have put the bad swim behind me and been more positive on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Transition went really well. I was glad I practiced this! I think I may have lost my goggles though.

Not lost my goggles!
Bike
  • 48m 53s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I know I negative split the bike although I don't have the garmin data to back it up. I am wondering if maybe a longer distance race will suit me better since it seems to take me a bit to get in my groove.

As I was biking I spotted a friend I hadn't seen in YEARS working the traffic intersection (she's a cop now.) I slowed down and said hello and don't regret this at all.

Some of the more advanced girls on their fancy aero bikes were very...standoffish. If I pass someone I always try to say something encouraging or at least say hello. Not these girls. They pass you then cut over early so that the water flung off their tires and into your face. I understand being competitive but geeze....

On the second loop of the course I saw several women who had passed me in the swim and early on the bike walking their bikes up the hill. Although I felt for them it just goes to show that it's not over 'til it's over! This gave me some renewed and much needed confidence!

Try to hammer it a little earlier!
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

This transition went pretty well too. I have got to figure out some speed laces that will fit in my shoes. My hands were so cold and trying to tie my shoes SUCKED

Different laces
Run
  • 23m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

My shoes came untied TWICE! Ahhhhhhhhhh! Pretty sure I dropped the 'F' bomb. I need to figure out a solution to this because double knots were not hacking it! This KILLED my time. I am certain I lost a good minute because of this.

The run went really well though, aside from the lace thing. I negative split this too. I prematurely kicked it in at the end (still had some juice left in me) but was able to hold the strong pace the whole last half mile (I had thought the finish line was in a different spot then it was in.) This is very clearly my strength and I felt great at the end.

NEW LACES
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Demoralizing swim, horrible weather, first race. I know I might sound a bit negative but I do realize these things are all opportunities for me to work at.

Event comments:

It was just so rainy that the post race was not all that great. Plus the corn chips were soggy. Who likes soggy corn chips and salsa? Not me!

Last updated: 2011-03-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:10 | 500 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full
Course: A big 'U' shape.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:53 | 14 miles | 17.18 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills with 2 longer climbs. It wasn't too bad but it was extremely wet and rainy.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:42 | 03.11 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-19 2:30 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Five Mile Lake Women's Triathlon

2011-06-19 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3556577

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: RE: Five Mile Lake Women's Triathlon

Adrienne,  you really did do a fantastic job on your triathlon!!!!  Don't beat yourself up too much.  My first OWS was a disaster.  I swam from kayak to kayak, rolled on my back at least twice and thought I was going to die.  Needless to say I finished my swim in about 15 minutes...and this was only a 400 yard swim, LOL.  I had so much to learn and improve in a year.  I still get anxious in the open water, but I am learning to be better.  For you to do over 9 minutes for 500 meters is impressive to me.  Your run rocked.

You'll rock your next tri!!!!!!     Congrats!!

2011-06-20 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3556577

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Five Mile Lake Women's Triathlon
Well, you might have some disappointments, but your times look awesome!!  Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Five Mile Lake Women's Triathlon Rss Feed