Triangle Off Road Cyclists (TORC)
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = CAT3 M30-39
Age Group Rank = 6/14
Event warmup:

EZ ride up the first section to make sure shifting was good. Then a little trip down the first part of single track to verify tire pressures. Lowered them a bit based on available traction.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 7s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 9.48 mile/hr
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to ride a mountain bike on rocks. Much better mental focus than at Burn. I found myself chanting my son Marshall's favorite phrase..."Hocus Focus".
Post race
Warm down:

Volunteered at the finish line until all racers were in from my heat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mountain bike knowledge.

Event comments:

A fun first official mountain bike race for me. I hope to do more! Need to fix the bent (now broken) front brake lever.

Last updated: 2011-06-19 12:00 AM
Biking
01:19:07 | 12.5 miles | 9.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
First lap about 41 minutes (included the pack separator first hill before entering single track). Had only one fall, but it was a doozy. Rock garden just past the halfway point on the first lap, I lost momentum, didn't clip out (COULDN'T, AGAIN!),and down I went hard on the rocks. Tweaked the steering, but bent the front brake lever majorly. Brakes still worked, so on I went. Second lap was MUCH better. I could anticipate where I wanted to be, and began making some passes back. Was having fun, but was glad for the end. Caught a rider about .25 mile from the finish. He waved me by, but then sat on my wheel as we exited the woods. I jumped on the pedals and outsprinted him to the finish, drew a few cheers from the crowd. I certainly had the legs and the lungs for this race, but my technique is AWFUL. Once I learn how to ride this thing, it's going to be fun.
Wind:
Course: First lap has a gravel road out-n-back to string out the field a little. I managed to find myself entering the woods in 4th place, and quickly decided that was way too far up in the field. When I found opportunities, I pointed folks by to begin learning the woods lines. Very fun.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-19 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Briar Patch XC

2011-06-20 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3556713

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Briar Patch XC
Glad you had fun. You're a braver man than me. I have only been on a mountain bike twice, and NEVER in a race!
2011-06-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3557675

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Briar Patch XC
DougRob - 2011-06-20 10:47 AM Glad you had fun. You're a braver man than me. I have only been on a mountain bike twice, and NEVER in a race!
Brave?  No.  In over my head?  YES!  It's all good for the first bit, until you actually GO INTO THE WOODS AND HAVE TO RIDE ON THAT NARROW STUFF!  But, it's great practice for roadbike handling.  I think I ride straighter and more predictably now than I ever have after spending so much time evaluating my bike's line so constantly in the woods.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Briar Patch XC Rss Feed