General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rochester, Minnesota
United States
Final Stretch, Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m
Overall Rank = 42/156
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/22
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my brother's house in Rochester. Drove the bike course the night before. Had a good slamwich and went to bed about 11:00. Slept very well for a race night, but 5:00 came far too early. Fueled up with my usual pre-race breakfast of oatmeal, a banana, and coffee.
Event warmup:

Rode from my brother's house to the park. I did a brief run warmup and swam about 200 yards.
Swim
  • 26m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Work on drafting a little better. Everyone I wound up passing everyone I tried to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Dropped my Garmin in the sand as I took it off my wrist to pull my wetsuit top off. Had to run back and rinse it in a kiddie pool. Tough time getting out of my wetsuit legs and my non-tri bike shoes don't help the transition at all.

Need to talk the wife into some tri shoes. :)
Bike
  • 1h 14m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been getting over some illness and had problems with a high heart rate, so my mental game wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. I held back in a few places where I should have hammered harder, but overall, I timed my effort quite well.

Be a little more aggressive attacking the base of the hills on the way out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Lost a shoe coming into T2, but grabbed it quick and it wasn't a big deal. I went with socks on the run, but it didn't affect T2 which pleased me. I was glad I had them on. Racking next to the run out helped.

Practice t2 and figure out what I need to do to keep my shoes from hitting the ground.
Run
  • 48m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

My Garmin had the run course at a little over 6.3.

I was coming into 2010's race off a May Marathon, so my run was better last year. I've cut back on running a lot to focus on the bike and the swim. I may do another spring marathon or several half marathons in the early 2012 season to improve my run endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

post-race bbq slamwich, talked to friends while I cheered for the other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough running base. Coming into a race off an illness was tough and it affected my mental game and my training base.

Event comments:

I managed a PR and I am very proud of my swim performance compared to my last race (New Brighton) and my swim at this race last year.

Last updated: 2011-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 37/156
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Elite
Course: I started on the outside swimming at an angle to the first buoy and dodged a lot of the chaos from the swim start. I LOVED the run between laps. It was a real chance to book and catch my bearings. The first 15 feet were shallow so you could really make up some good time by running in for both legs. Some folks said that the swim course seemed longer than last year, but it felt about the same to me.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:04 | 24.85 miles | 20.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 37/156
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Bike course was different than last year - perhaps a little less challenging. I managed a better time than last year, so it's all good.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:39 | 06.21 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 50/156
Performance: Below average
My plan was to average a 7:30 by negative splitting the run with 3 miles at 7:45 and 3 miles at 7:15. I felt great for the first two miles, but I could tell by mile 3 I would have a hard time hitting my goal pace for the second half. I managed 7:25 for mile 4, but mile 5 was 7:40. My HR was hitting my max by mile 6 so I pulled back, but sprinted once I got into the park.
Course: Several short but steep hills. Some grass and one big puddle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-19 11:04 PM

User image

New user

White Bear Lake, MN
Subject: Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochesterfest Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed