Freetown, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Sport Events
Total Time = 6h 27m 38s
Overall Rank = 342/505
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 49/72
Pre-race routine:

Since I moved to a different AG I knew the race was going to be a different perspective. I usually have started in early waves and got past by the fasties. Now, starting from the last wave I figured I'd be passing the BOPers.

Race morning we got going a little later than we wanted but it worked out fine as we had plenty of time even without the start delay.
Ate an english muffin with peanut butter and drank coffee.
Event warmup:

I got a decent swim warm up which was good because I lost my breath at first putting my face in the water. HR went up and then back down to normal.

Side note: As I was heading to swim start I started to feel hungry. That's not usually the case.
Swim
  • 43m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I found a pair of feet right away and let them lead the way. I would site occasionally and they seemed to continue to be heading straight. After a couple minutes I started to get my rhythm but felt a little slow. I started to see some different colored swim caps. Cool! That doesn’t happen usually since I’m usually the first wave. I figured I was going at a decent pace even though I felt effortless. Wow! A second different color swim cap! I caught someone from another wave! Great!

Unfortunately, I didn’t consider that the people from the earlier waves were the B-BOP swimmers. So, while I thought I was going faster than my effort level, in reality I was going exactly at my effort level. When I looked at my watch I realized I was 5 minutes slower than I hoped for. I gave Kris the thumbs down but no worries; I’m done the swim and feel good.

What would you do differently?:

Either look at my watch at the first turn or just go at an effort that feels right and try to find faster feet.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

I got my wetsuit off pretty easily but my goggles came off without my cap even though they were underneath. I had some trouble getting my cap off then.
I had a little trouble putting on my socks in T1. I’m not sure why since this usually isn’t an issue *shrug* I forgot to put my PT computer on my bike before leaving for the swim. I noticed as I started to put on my left shoe and found it in there. I laughed and put it on my bike and made sure it *clicked* in. (I guess it was good I didn’t have my shoes on my bike)
I ran easy out of T1and got going without issue.

Remember to put my PT computer on my bike. Be more diligent about taking my cap and goggles off together.

Maybe dry my feet a bit before putting into socks? T1 was wet grass so...
Bike
  • 2h 59m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

(Watts are inaccurate but I used them to be consistant)I felt really strong from the start. I had decided to keep my watts around 180 but not be "scared" to push harder to get over the hills and keep momentum. It seemed to work well and my legs felt good the entire ride.
Even though this wasn't my fastest pace for a HIM, I passed way more than I ever have. Coming from the last wave, and a slow swim gave me a lot of passing oportunity :)
Somewhere during the second loop my nutrition didn't taste as good as it usually does. Did it get warmer than normal because of the later wave + race delay? Did I go a little too hard so I wasn't digesting properly? Legs felt great though so I'm not sure. I felt a slightly more effort at the end to maintain watts but nothing major.

Bike was a lot of fun! More hills than I anticipated from reading but it was ok. I probably pushed a bit harder than I should have but I don't think it was crazy.

Freeze my nutrition or add some ice to eliminate that part of the equation. I may keep away from Perpetuem and stick to HEED to avoid protein.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

First "Flying dismount" in a race!! I wasn't sure if I was going to do it but I just said "F" it.
I had just passed a group of women when I started to take my shoes off and as I was doing so they passed me back. Then as we turned into the last section leading to T2 they all slowed up but I couldn't repass since there wasn't room. I was worried they'd be in my way for dismount but as we came up to the line somehow they parted for me and as they stopped I jumped off running right passed them all again. I gotta say...it was neat and I'm glad I did it.

In hind sight I could have taken the shoes off in the final strip and would not have been held up. If I can practice taking them off quicker I might not lose as much speed and it wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm not sure time wise but it seemed like my best T2 ever. Probably just because it was fun doing the dismount :)
Run
  • 2h 40m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Normally, in training or racing, I feel "good" coming out of T1 for at least a little while. As a matter of fact, usually I have to hold back so that I'm not sprinting out. Going into this run I was preparing myself to start suffering at mile 8ish and try to HTFU for the last 5 miles. I figured go out at a 9ish pace whatever felt comfortable but holding back.

Well, I felt terrible as soon as I hit the road out of T1. I was struggling to hit 9:45. Then 10:00. Then 10:30. Then 11:00. Stomach didn't feel good but not terrible. Legs didn't feel good but not terrible. Back, same. Shoulders, same. Just couldn't get myself going. I started doing the walk/run death march and basically did 13.30ish miles the last 8 miles. Hmmm...a little backward to I was expecting.

I managed to muster up some energy at the end to job it in and yell to Chris and Kris "Honey Badger doesn't care!" To which they appropriately replied "Honey Badger doesn't give a shit!" I was suprised at how many people laughed so I guess that's a more popular Youtube than I knew.

Not let the demons win!

Post race
Warm down:

After the race I had some muscle milk, stretched, got in the lake to cool down, then packed up my transition and left.
Chris, Kris, and I went and had some steaks and some beers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I probably ate worse during the 2 weeks leading up to the race than I should have. I know I ate and drank too much Thursday night. Chris throwing my phone at my head and drawing blood probably didn't help either. I probably had a concussion!! <--- Ok, that is a joke.

Seriously, it was my first Tri of the season and I slacked in every way possible for 2 weeks before the race. I'll try to stay on point for my August race.

Most importantly, I had a really fun weekend. Thanks to the (K)Chris's!

Event comments:

The body marking set up made the race late. It was a fun race though!

Last updated: 2010-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:27 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/72
Overall: 0/505
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out and make a left, then another left to head back to finish about 100 yards or so down the coast.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:16 | 56 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: (2) 28 mile loops. Not flat by any means but not crazy hills either. Only 1 hill toward the end of each loop that was "steep".
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:40:21 | 13.1 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: One long loop. Rolling hills. It was advertised as "fairly flat" and I'd like to meet whoever wrote that in a dark alley ;)
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes