General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-07-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: mikericci

User image

Subject: RE: HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH!
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the time and effort.

Currently my plan has me running 4x a week, 3 of which I now use the HR as my guide and go by time and 1 day of speed which I now also go by the higher levels of HR. Hopefully I am on the right track.

They need to sticky this thread, wish I would of ran into it sooner!

2014-07-13 2:37 PM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Boulder, Colorado

You're welcome and I'm happy to help. Always.

In terms of speed make sure you have a current race time you are basing speed work off of. If you are then you may want to use the Daniels Run Formula charts - they work great. http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-nov-00.htm

Let me know if you have questions. Thanks

2014-07-14 2:50 PM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by mikericci

Those HRs are correct for Z2.

Now, if you did the test inside and are going to train inside those numbers are valuable. But if you train outside you'll need to do an outside test. No two ways about it. I like to see accurate numbers for indoors and outdoors.

For your IM ride, Z2 is where you would ride. Maybe some Z3 on some hills, but I would try to minimize that. An IM ride should be relatively easy, not hard. That way you can run to your potential. Good luck!

Thanks Mike,

Appreciate that

Graham
2014-08-01 9:55 PM

Good info, I'm going to do the test soon.

I do have a question, I live in the Ozarks and can't find flat ground to ride or run on for 20 minutes if i wanted to. Does it matter if my bike and run course has hills in it? I can get it mostly flat for the run with only one significant hill, but don't have anything near flat that I could ride on my bike for that long.

Thanks,

Stephan
2015-01-30 1:03 PM
in reply to: Guest

Columbus, Ohio
Well it is now 2015 so might as well bump this bad boy once again. Read through the entire thread, completed the LT test for running and cycling a few weeks ago and have been training with them as of recently. Super excited to see the results and the timing was perfect as I am kicking off training for IMLOU this fall.

I think most will be able to relate, but so far, training using the LT zones is very difficult. The mind game it plays is just ridiculous. Running a 9:30 pace when typically I would be around 8. Oh well, I'm sure I will get over it.
2015-01-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: mshumak3

Originally posted by mshumak3 Well it is now 2015 so might as well bump this bad boy once again. Read through the entire thread, completed the LT test for running and cycling a few weeks ago and have been training with them as of recently. Super excited to see the results and the timing was perfect as I am kicking off training for IMLOU this fall. I think most will be able to relate, but so far, training using the LT zones is very difficult. The mind game it plays is just ridiculous. Running a 9:30 pace when typically I would be around 8. Oh well, I'm sure I will get over it.

Just remember that if it does feel that 'easy' to you, make sure you're doing enough volume to warrant the reduction in intensity.

There is nothing for free in triathlon/endurance sports. You do NOT get faster by reducing intensity and maintaining the same volume - you will get slower.

The point of reducing intensity is to allow significant increases in volume, which will in turn allow you to race and train at an overall faster pace when you pull back the volume down the road. If you can't increase your volume, you're better off maintaining your even increasing your intensity to not slide back in fitness.

2015-01-30 5:46 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by mshumak3 Well it is now 2015 so might as well bump this bad boy once again. Read through the entire thread, completed the LT test for running and cycling a few weeks ago and have been training with them as of recently. Super excited to see the results and the timing was perfect as I am kicking off training for IMLOU this fall. I think most will be able to relate, but so far, training using the LT zones is very difficult. The mind game it plays is just ridiculous. Running a 9:30 pace when typically I would be around 8. Oh well, I'm sure I will get over it.

Just remember that if it does feel that 'easy' to you, make sure you're doing enough volume to warrant the reduction in intensity.

There is nothing for free in triathlon/endurance sports. You do NOT get faster by reducing intensity and maintaining the same volume - you will get slower.

The point of reducing intensity is to allow significant increases in volume, which will in turn allow you to race and train at an overall faster pace when you pull back the volume down the road. If you can't increase your volume, you're better off maintaining your even increasing your intensity to not slide back in fitness.

Remember the audience! People reading this could be NEW to the sport and don't have a good handle on intensity. Under doing it is much better than over doing it and getting injured.

So, backing off intensity to build aerobic endurance could be what they need if they have been training in a too intense zone.

2015-11-19 4:47 AM
in reply to: #237705

I'm a week away from starting an 24 week IM training program. I'm going to do the LT test in the next week. I'all be interested to see what my numbers are and if they will translate into faster splits for both.
2016-01-13 9:57 AM
in reply to: ARtridad74

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Bump for the new year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH! Rss Feed  

of 24