Ironhead Race Productions
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 43s
Overall Rank = 118/227
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/21
Pre-race routine:

Since this was my first triathlon, I really wouldn't call it a "routine" yet.

I woke up at 3am WIDE AWAKE with nerves and eagerness, but I was planning on waking up around 4:15. I decided to have a banana and some toast with peanut butter followed by a few glasses of water. I had already packed all my gear, so all I had to do was throw the bike in the car and I was ready to go...I thought.
Event warmup:

When my wife and I got to the Mansfield Natatorium I quickly realized that I left my water bottles (which I was freezing in the freezer so they'd be nice and ready by the time I got on my bike) back at the house, which was 25 min. away. The wife dropped me off and away she went to grab them. I love my wife, I love my wife, I love my wife.

I decided to stretch a little and had a banana about 20 min. before we started. My nerves were at an 11. Luckily, a good friend of mine was also racing and I followed him around before the race like a lost puppy dog as he explained where to go and what to do, waiting for the indoor swim to start.

As my wife kept saying..."trust your training"...
Swim
  • 06m 23s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

I'm not going to freak out about my transitions. This was my first race, and I know that they will get better with time. I'm content for now.
What would you do differently?:

Put my helmet and sunglasses on AFTER I put my top on. They really freak you out about wearing your helmet at all times...I took it seriously...too seriously.
Bike
  • 50m 15s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.84 mile/hr
What would you do differently?:

Wake up on training days and ride in the wind, instead of going back to sleep or going to the trainer.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Again, I'm cool with this time. I will get better and more efficient with more races and more training.
Run
  • 31m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This was by far my worst of the 3. My only goal for this portion of the race was to keep running and not have to walk any of it. I only practiced getting off the bike and running a few times and I wished that I had done more.

I ended up walking almost half of the way, not because I was too tired to keep going, but I couldn't get my legs used to the continuous motion of running. I just wasn't ready. My training this next month will be heavy on the running.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water and stretched as much as possible.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My anxiety and lack of experience held me back a little, but mostly it was just the WIND that just SUCKED.

Event comments:

I had been told that Jack and the group at Ironhead do a great job on their events, and they are right. I'm glad I chose this to be my first race and I look forward to doing more races run by Ironhead.

I am officially addicted to Tri...and my wife wants to start training. Life is good.

Last updated: 2011-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:23 | 328 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/227
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 10 sec. interval start, decided by registration time. Since I had nothing to compare it to, it was fine.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:15 | 12.43 miles | 14.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/227
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Ah yes...the bike portion. DAMN. The wind was blowing with gusts of what had to be 25+ miles per hour. It sucked. My friend was in a tri last weekend and averaged 22 mph, but here he averaged 15. The wind was that bad. It felt like I rode 20+ miles uphill instead of 12, and it almost threw me off the course twice. Our only saving grace was the back side of the 2 loop course was downhill for about a mile and covered by trees, so you were able to get a little time back on each loop. I was glad when the bike was over.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal