General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Topeka, Kansas
United States
Ultramax Events
Total Time = 1h 01m 18s
Overall Rank = 3/201
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

up at 4:15, left house at 4:45 arrived at race just before 6, drove in via part of the bike course to see what the route looked like. Glad I got there early as the early morning storm's destruction had most volunteers working on rebuilding the course and chip and body marking lines got to be quite long a little later.
Event warmup:

Biked about 2 miles, including bike out, bike in and part of course
Ran 1 or so miles, some strides
Swam 200m, did a few open water turns
Swim
  • 04m 26s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim course was short, way short, advertised as 400m, might have been 300m, also CCW not CW, I hadn't bothered practicing any lefty turns. Nothing against the organizers, they did a great job recovering from the storm, we even started on time.

Started near outside, just a couple guys to my right, focused on long smooth strokes and exhaling underwater at the start, only sighted a couple times to the first turn bouy as I had a good view of the guys to my right when breathing to judge position and heading. Made the turn for the beach and focused on high elbows and keeping turnover up. Got into someones draft a couple of times but never was able to stay in it very long. Hit the beach, and started running, the guy just ahead of me took off up the hill like a rocket and I let him go.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, a real solid swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Solid transition, not overly fast but didn't give up any significant time. Purposly avoided sprinting or running too fast in transition.

maybe be quicker/smoother getting suit off and helmet/glasses on.
Bike
  • 34m 37s
  • 13 miles
  • 22.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt a little off coming out of the park, it always takes a little while to get into the groove after the swim. Out of the park and got passed by a couple guys, was able to keep them in sight but not hang with them through the short rolling hills. Once the course straightened out I slowly reeled them back in, we passed back and forth a few times, I think there were 3 or 4, each of us had different strengths so the passing was good and clean, made for a nice ride. I had made it to the front (of this group, 1 guy wasn't playing nice and rode away from us) when we turned back toward the park and into the short rollers I lost a couple spots, made them back in the park and I think we went into T2 pretty much as we came out of T1.

Drank ~50oz, of which 10 was Gatorade G2. 242W, 162 bpm avg, 170 bpm max.

Lose 10 lbs and carry 2 lbs less water, those hills were killing me. Also need to work on the swim to bike transition, maybe it is the transition run, something makes the start of the bike leg really miserable.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Pre-rode into T2 as warmup so knew when to pull my feet out and get ready for the dismount. Nothing notable except I forget to unbuckle my helmet while running in. Put on socks and shoes then removed helmet/glasses uneventfully took off, again same order as out of T1 and into T2.

unbuckle helmet whilst running.
Run
  • 20m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

We came out of T2 in a group of 3 and sorted ourselves out within a quarter mile. Got a good look at the places at the turnaround, we were all strung out so there weren't any real challenges going to happen on the run. 164bpm avg, 171 bpm max.

running continues to come along, no hip pain while running, a little tightness afterwards but stretching relieved it. Still 20s/mile or so off the pace from past performances.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, sat in lake, jogged a half mile back to car after awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

running and weight. Looking forward to the day when running is a relative strength.

Event comments:

very well run event, the course got blasted by the storm and they put it back together and got the event going on time, well done. Liked the transition area layout much better than previous Tinmen events.

Last updated: 2011-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:26 | 300 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 4/201
Performance: Good
Suit: Fit2Race Sockeye
Course: Triangular
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:37 | 13 miles | 22.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 3/201
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: out. loop, and back, rolling hills, some rough road, a few tight turns.
Road: Rough  Cadence: 84
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:11 | 03 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 14/201
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back on the concrete sidewalk, a couple of notable hills, that we hit twice.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 10:08 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-06-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3557735

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course
Great race. Maybe if I can get my bike speed up to par I'll be able to hang with you and the rest of that bike group. Your age group really took control of the race. Good job staying in the mix and competing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed