Davenport, Iowa
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 44s
Overall Rank = 16/621
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/60
Pre-race routine:

Up early at about 4:00 AM. Had a banana and half a peanut butter sandwich. Got to the park at about 4:50 and waited just a bit for them to open the park. The cars lined up quickly to get in. Got set up in transition and walked around and talked to a few people. Saw more people I know than I have at any other race, since this is my hometown race. They made the announcement that the water was 77, so I decided no wetsuit.
Event warmup:

A few hundred yards of swimming with some build ups.
Swim
  • 08m 17s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the hardest I have pushed a swim. I may have gone out a bit fast, but I knew some of my training partners were ahead of me and I wanted to catch them for a draft. I caught a few different folks, but could not establish a good draft. After rounding the second buoy, I got a bit off course and was veering left.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe hold back just a bit at the start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I need to practice my transitions more (which means practicing them period). This one was going ok. Shoes on quick. Then the helmet went on, but when I went to strap it, the strap felt wrong. Pulled it off and that knocked the sunglasses off and onto the ground.

Practice, practice, practice.
Bike
  • 40m 56s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Getting more comfortable on the bike. This was my best bike leg yet. In arrow most of the ride. Feeling more confident on the downhills.

Just keep riding to improve.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Terrible. So, I clipped out of both pedals approaching the dismount line (or so I thought). I must not have clipped my left foot out completely or it clipped back in as I went to step off. Anyway, I went down on my left side pretty hard. The volunteer ran towards me asking if I was ok. Just my pride was hurt asside from some scrapes. I yelled, "I'm Fine" jumped up picked up my bike and ran it into transition. The fall flustered me a bit through transition, but I pulled it together pretty quick. My hip was hurting and I thought that I had probably ripped my tri suit, but a quick check revealed that I didn't. That settled my nerves and off I ran.

Practice, practice, practice. Oh and not fall. This time I had the Garmin turned on and put it on while running, which save time. Next time, I will put the race number on while running also.
Run
  • 20m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a bit worried how much I would have left because I pushed the bike harder than normal, but I thought, I have been doing HIM training, so I am going to push everything and see what I've got left. A test of my endurance, I guess. To my suprise, I felt pretty strong on the run. I had some abdominal cramping at the start, but I had a Gu and that helped. This was close to my Galena pace. It helped that I could see some of my friends and swimming partners up ahead to try and catch.

Not much I can think of.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around talking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of tranisition practice and falling off my bike at dismount. (FAIL!)

Event comments:

I had a blast!! Loved my hometown race!! There was a bit of a mix-up for the first finishers at the run turn-around that caused some controversy, but that was a bit of a fluke. I felt bad for Jeff Paul, who finished second overall as a result (But first in most everyone's mind). The race director made it right by splitting the first place money, and apologizing. Again, this was just a fluke and this is still a great event run by a great race director and his team. Lots of volunteers, all very friendly. A spectator friendly event also compared to some other triathlons I have competed in.

Last updated: 2011-02-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:17 | 656 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/60
Overall: 8/621
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:56 | 15 miles | 21.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/60
Overall: 44/621
Wind: Little
Course: Great course. A couple of good rollers, otherwise pretty flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:20:24 | 03.1 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/60
Overall: 21/621
Course: Starts out on the grass, then a short distance on gravel, then out on the roads. Not super flat, but not challenging hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 10:30 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: Quad Cities Triathlon

2011-06-20 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3557781

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Quad Cities Triathlon

Great race and time, despite the mishap at the dismount.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quad Cities Triathlon Rss Feed