Subaru Western Triathlon Series
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 04m 49s
Overall Rank = 108/354
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and downed my two bottles of ensure and a nutella sandwich, showered, packed my bags, and headed to the race site. I got about 800 calories in around 2hrs before the race.
Event warmup:

Showed up to the race site at 5:30, got body marked and set up transition area. Did about a 10 minute easy jog warmup with some dynamic stretching and some relaxation breathing exercises. Got my wetsuit on and headed down to the water about 20 minutes from race start. Got a couple hundred yards of easy swimming and stroke drills in before the race started.
Swim
  • 37m 1s
  • 2187 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Didn't feel amazing and wasn't able to really push as hard as I was hoping to do. At several points I wanted to just take a break but I kept moving the whole time. Going out to the turn around section my performance was pretty poor I thought but coming back in I was able to get some drafting going and hold a steady pace all the way through to the end. When I came out of the water and saw the clock I was pretty excited that it had went as well as it did.
What would you do differently?:

Start out farther back in the pack so I am not getting passed constantly for the first hundred yards of the swim. I think that made me think I was doing worse than I actually was.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Had a good transition!

I put my glasses on before wiping my face and they started to fog up so make sure and wipe my face off right away to prevent that. I need to master putting my shoes on the bike, especially for that race since the transition area is grass and I had to go a good distance in my cleats before I could mount my bike.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 21s
  • 55.92 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed the pace a little to hard I thought for the first five miles. But settled in and stayed pretty consistent for the rest of the ride. The constant up and down made it difficult at times to get a consistent rhythm going but I thought I did a pretty good job of staying consistent.

Just work on spending more time in aero. I did a good job I thought, and definitely better than before but it still needs improvement
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I put on socks and tied my shoes so that took a little more time than usual but it was time well spent and my run would have definitely suffered if I didn't spend that extra time.

Practice getting socks on and tieing my shoes quickly
Run
  • 1h 37m 5s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I held the same pace the whole run and was able to negative split my last 5K. It was super challenging mentally but I dug deep and held strong. I am so pumped with how my nutrition plan worked out and how well my body responded to the distance.

Not much I thought that was pretty much as good as it gets for where my training is at right now. I actually ran under my goal pace most of the time.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some food at the athletes tent and took down the fluids. Changed, packed up all my gear, and waited around for the awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only two years of training. I felt like this was the perfect performance for how much training I have done. With a few more years of experience I think this time can only go down more.

Event comments:

Awesome race! I loved the course, it was well organized, and tons of awesome volunteers. My only problem was the awards program was 45 minutes after it was scheduled to happen. My family was starving and wanted to leave but we stuck around because they kept saying awards were about to happen.

Last updated: 2011-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:01 | 2187 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 191/354
Performance: Good
Single clockwise lap
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Fullsuit
Course: Single clockwise lap
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:46:21 | 55.92 miles | 20.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 127/354
Wind: Little
Course: Double loop course with lots of rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:37:05 | 13.05 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 80/354
Course: Double loop on gravel trails around the lake. A few ups and downs but for the most part a flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 11:09 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Subject: Victoria half and sprint

2011-06-20 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3557891

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Victoria half and sprint
Great job Matt.  Looks like everything came together for you.  Solid swim and bike and an outstanding run.  Keep up the good work!

Randy
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victoria half and sprint Rss Feed