www.racerome.org
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 53s
Overall Rank = 7/110
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Got home from the office on Friday and slowly gathered my gear and loaded it in the car. I was feeling better, but not completely over the stomach bug that had hit me Thursday night/Friday morning. For once I had planned to get 8 hours of sleep the night before a race which meant going to bed at 8:00 pm for a 4:00 AM wake up. To be honest, I was counting down the minutes to get in bed. I was wiped out (no pun intended), and was ready to go to sleep. It was odd going to bed so early with the sun still up, etc., but I had no problems falling asleep. I was out as soon as I hit the pillow.

Anyway, alarm went off at 4:00 AM and since I had been asleep for 8 hours, I felt great. I am sure the amount of sleep combined with being completely over the stomach bug was the key here. Showered, dressed, and out the door right on time. Garmin had an ETA of 6:24 AM, so that put me perfectly on time without having to rush my setup. Drove up to Rome, GA without any issues, and chatted with BryanB for a little bit on the way up. Arrived to the park, unloaded, and then rode my bike the half mile to transition/check-in. Got checked in, and started setting up my rack. They had racks set up by age-group which made me laugh, since the 30-34 & 35-40 racks were packed, and the rest of them had plenty of space.

Nonetheless, as I was finishing set up my transition I hear a voice call out, " hey, coldfire", it was McQ. I am not going to lie, I love me some McQ. As hard as I tried, and as much as I pushed to get him fired up and a reaction out of him, he is so cool and laid back and he would not yield me a reaction. So, we chatting, laughed, checked out the course, etc. After a short bit BryanB showed up, so then the three of us goofed off before the start.

During the pre-race meeting they asked everyone to raise their hand if this was their first race. I swear I thought they said raise your hand if this was your first time doing this race, so I raised my hand. Everyone behind me, BryanB & McQ gave me hell out it. The guy behind me said "I doubt this is your first race with an ironman tat on your calf", and then I tried to explain what I thought they had said. No luck, everyone was giving me sh*t about it. Damn, now I was "that guy", Johnny-Jackazz.

Event warmup:

No warm up, unless you call goofing off/talking trash with McQ & BryanB a warm up.

I had to listen to McQ trying his best to sabotage my swim start the entire morning, but to no avail, since when it was my turn the lady said feet first please. WARNING, WARNING McNinja will try his best to get into your head!

BryanB told me that he had flatten my tires before the race, so as we lined up I yelled back at him that if I beat him out of the water I would flatten his. I heard someone from behind say "wow, it is getting nasty out here". Man, I love racing with a group. The reactions from everyone else makes me laugh.

Swim
  • 28m 20s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

We lined up numerical based on an estimated time seeding, and the race started. Three second intervals between starts, and the line was moving rather quickly. It was my time so when I received the go-ahead, I gave a little run and jump. I spread-out as soon as I hit the water to reduce how much I sank, one breast-stoke got me back to the surface and level, and I started right into my free-style. The instructions were to keep all buoys on your right, so I started towards the first buoy and then noticed that their was a little jetty sticking out from shore, so I swam as close to that point as possible knowing the course hung a left from there. That should have reduced the distance to the first buoy, and then I aligned and started easing out to the buoy line from there. My goal for this race was to swim straight at the buoys, vs going wide and swimming extra distance. I would say my entire swim went very well with my navigation. I swam straight at the buoys without a lot of zig-zag, using the buoys, other swimmers, and the shore line for navigation the first half, and then the swimmers/buoys the second half.

The swim went smooth. I was navigating great, nice steady stroke with a focus on a long glide, breathing, etc. I drafted when I could before over-taking them, and then moved on to the next swimmer and repeat. I rounded the buoys very close, and close enough that my elbow hit one of the buoys, so I was pleased with my positioning. I kept the entire swim nice & relaxed. Most of the swim was uneventful until later on, on the backside when a guy ran into me. I had just checked my position, and I was swimming straight at the buoy, and this guy came out of nowhere from the outside. I guess that he had checked his position, and was trying to tighten up position wise, and hammered me on my left. He hit me so hard it completely jarred me off my stroke. Holy crap, where did he come from? I moved over a bit, and then he hit me again. Forget this, so I took a few hard strokes to make my pass. Again, open water as I worked my way from buoy to buoy. A faster swimmer came up, so I tucked in close to his side in a draft position. I was able to hold that for a while, before he started pulling ahead. When he did so, I moved to drafting off his feet. I pretty much drafted off of him until the end.

The one thing to note was that in the final 200 meters my left lower leg/calf area started to cramp, not bad but it was cramping. Oh no, I was really hoping that would not be some foreshadowing for how the day would go. I started to think if the stomach bug dehydration was about to take its toll? I ended up swimming the final 200 meters kinda dead-legging it, only kicking with my right leg, and trying not to point my left foot since that seemed to make it worse.

The exit was the boat ramp, which was super slippery even though they had put down carpet. The great news was that they had three guys standing in the water helping people exit. I swam until my hand hit, and stood up. They were right there, so I grabbed them, leaned back and ejected myself with their aid out of the water. Cap/Goggle off, and took a quick time check, 27:XX, with a short run up to the mat I hit it at 28:20. I'll take it.

What would you do differently?:

I could have pushed much harder, but I was content with a relaxed swim and my navigation. I only had a few minor off-course moments, but nothing the really impacted my swim.

Transition 1
  • 00m 24s
Comments:

Found my rack, dropped cap/goggles on mat, helmet on, sunglasses on, grabbed bike, and I was out the door.

Nothing
New T1 PR by 3 seconds
Bike
  • 1h 09m 54s
  • 25 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of T1 you had to climb a hill, so I decided to climb the hill before trying to put my feet into the shoes. Topped the hill, and quickly got my feet in, and started to work into a rhythm. The goal was to take it easy, a little pushing, but nothing too much. Again, today was about flushing the demons of Macon out, so I needed a solid run. To set up the run I took a very conservative approach on the bike. I went with one gear up from what I would have normally pushed to ensure a solid run. This was a good call, since I was still passing people at a clip. Headed out of the park and towards the out and back, saw McQ working his way back up the hill. Out to the turn around point, which was a pain since it was at the bottom of a hill. You turned around, and then started to climb. Not a big deal, but it completely killed your momentum. I started working back up the hill, and saw BryanB smoking down the other way.

This course was a bit tougher than I thought it would be. No big hills but it seemed that for every down hill you had, it was followed up with a half to one mile steady uphill grind. The hills were no big deal, but I do not remember any flat areas. I found myself alone for a long while, and then started to reel in a few people. I did play leap frog with a 49 year old guy several times to the point we started making jokes about it. Most of the ride was out in the middle of nowhere, which was nice. Very uneventful ride until you hit the main road, Big Texas Valley which was a bunch of rollers (mainly up hill, IMO), but the killer was the headwind. I looked down and I was cranking out 14 mph, which was dishearting. This stretch was only about 5 miles or so, but it felt like a big kick in the nutz.

When I turned into the park I saw McQ, so I yelled something at him and headed back to T2. Since I knew the dismount line was at the bottom of the hill I side-mounted at the top of the hill and came down coasting. Dismounted and headed to my rack.

I could have easily pushed harder on the bike, but I need to flush out the demons of Macon, so this race was all about taking it easy and just having a solid swim/bike/run day.

Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Threw my bike on the rack. It was great since they were tall, so my bike would roll right under the bar with a quick lift it was racked. Sunglasses off, helmet off, sunglasses back on, sock, shoe, sock, shoe, race belt and I was out.

Nothing
Run
  • 42m 46s
  • 6 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, the goal was to flush the demons of Macon on this run, so I climbed the hill out of transition, and set it into cruise control the entire time. I passed several people on the out, but never got excited and stuck to my discipline. No pushing, just a nice and easy trot. The run course was open, but since it was overcast it was a very pleasant run. If the sun had been out this run could be very tough; however, it was not so no big deal. Again, the run course seemed to be either up or down, but no big hills either way. Slow and steady climbs, or descents.

I worked my way out to the turnaround. Right as I reached the turn into the marina, I saw McQ coming out the other way. I said something along the lines of "badazz McQ" as we passed. Made my way towards the turnaround. The arrow directing which way to go was not all that clear, since the road split. From where you were you could not tell that the road looped around and back out, so I followed the road where other runners were coming from. I got in a position where I could see the road looped around, and another runner yelled that I should be on the upper road. Not knowing what else to do, I cut through the woods to the upper path, and then looped around past the aid station, and then back the other way. As I topped the hill, I tried to help instruct the next runners which way to go so they did not repeat my same mistake.

Passed a few more people, and then found myself alone for a while. I started to cheer on the runners going the other way. Saw BryanB and gave him a high five, since he looked to be having a strong day. I worked my way back up the hills, just taking it easy, and back into the park. There was only one guy left in front of me, and everyone started to cheer about catching him. I hammered it to get right on top of him, and realized that with his starting position I had already beaten him. With the large downhill to the finish, already beating his time (placement wise), there was no need to risk injury going down the hill. I could see McQ right there so I threw up my arms and starting waving them around like a dumbazz, just having a good time to the finish line.

I could have easily pushed harder, but figured a solid run would do more for me than a pushed one on this day. It was all about having a good time, and solid day.
Post race
Warm down:

No real cool-down. McQ and I chatted about the race, and shortly after BryanB came in. I did a very light stretch, drank water, ate some chik-fil-a nuggets they had, and chilled. I decided to get some Gatorade, and it was treating me right, so I kept going back for refills. After everyone had cooled down, we headed to the lake to cool off and wash off. The running joke was that as you finished the way the finish was set up, you could continue to run down to the dock and cannonball in. Well, a cannonball was calling my name so after BryanB jumped in, (with a little push from McQ to cannonball him) I waited until he surfaced and then yelled out "CANNONBALL" as I cannonballed BryanB. Next thing I know here comes McQ with his own cannonball. I swear races are worth doing just for the swim afterwards, man it was nice.

We swam around for a while, and chatted with a few of the other racers, and then went up for awards. BryanB needed to bounce, so he headed out before they started awards. McQ and I goofed off until awards. It was been a while since I have laughed that much, that guy is a maniac. :)

Anyway, it was a great BT day! McQ took 2nd OA, BryanB took 2nd in his AG, and I took 1st in my AG. Solid results for everyone, and a great day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have easily gone faster, but I was ok with an easy day. I got everything that I wanted from this race, which was just a solid day with no issues.

Event comments:

These are my favorite type races. Just over 100+ people, laid back, and fun! I will definitely be back for another race up in Rome. It was organized well (only hiccup was on the run), just enough aid stations (IMHO, you do not need a lot for an Olympic), and all the money raised went to a good cause. Plus, I got to hang/race with my buddies.

Last updated: 2011-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:20 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 0/110
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Course looked like a pot with a handle. TT start at 3 second intervals off the dock. Clockwise directional swim.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:54 | 25 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Wind:
Course: Out of the park, hang a left, and then a few mile out & back before making a large loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:46 | 06 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Course: Out & Back: .4 out of the park, right, 2.2 miles, another right, .2, right, .3 turnaround, reverse.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Tri For The Shelter Olympic

2011-06-23 12:45 AM
in reply to: #3558332

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Tri For The Shelter Olympic

Solid race, bro! Nice that you were conservative and raced strong.

McNinja is a badass...but you got in his head. Way to rock it, man!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri For The Shelter Olympic Rss Feed