General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's you best advice pre-first Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-06-21 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3558396

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What's you best advice pre-first Tri?

Leave your bike chain in the big chainring, and one of the larger cassette rings.  With the derailleur spring pulled tighter- it's less likely to fall off as your grabbing your bike and bouncing it through the transition area.

Walk the entry and exits of the transition area from your location prior to the race.

Leave a bright, colorful towel on the ground at your transition spot.  The area will look different when you come back to it.

Find someone to draft on the swim.  Try not to tickle their feet.... it's annoying.

Bring some clear packing tape and a scissors for putting the number on your bike.  I hate stuff dangling from pins and zip ties.

2011-06-21 11:50 AM

Veteran
Roanoke, VA

Relax and have fun.  Unless you've done some open water swims with lots of people around (or are just a really fast swimmer), try to give yourself some room at the start of the swim by moving to the back or the side. Swim starts can be pretty chaotic.

Also get ready for the fantastic feeling of accomplishment when you cross the finish line.  Good luck!

Mike

2011-06-21 12:33 PM

If you can get some buddy,s to help you with your start. Maybe practice the start as shown in this video, maybe ten times.. You should be good to go.. All the Best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

2011-06-21 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Know why you're doing it! 

For most of us, it's because it's fun.  So do whatever it takes to make it fun.  If it's cold, put on warm clothes because it's no fun riding in cold, wet stuff.  Yea, it'll cost you a few seconds, but those seconds won't cost you a sponsorship.  Thank the volunteers, race officials, and spectators.  If you've done solo training rides/runs, you know it's a lot more fun to be around people.  Again, the few seconds acknowledging the people cheering for you won't matter tomorrow, but the friendliness will. 

Along the same lines, have some goals about the day, but don't fret and fume if the day doesn't play out like it does in your dreams.  Your friends, family, and fellow participants won't want to be around a sourpuss so make the day fun for them too. 

2011-06-21 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider

Set up as much as you can the night before; race number on bike, pre-make breakfast, etc.  Then...

Arrive to the race early.  One thing I've found is that no matter how early I get to the race, I still seem to run out of time to do everything I want (set up, warm up, bathroom, eat my banana, put on wetsuit, etc).

Everything race morning has a line: A line to get body-marked, a line to get into transition, a line for the bathroon, a line to get into the water to warm up. Etc. The earlier you get there, the shorter the lines.

PS, this isn't the most important thing, it's just the most important I could think of that hasn't already been mentioned.

2011-06-21 4:03 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Have FUN, something is bound to go wrong or not as you planned but it the first of many if you have FUN!!!!

2011-06-24 7:51 AM

Be sure to "train your brain".  This is especially crucial to first timers, or more advanced triathletes wanting to take their racing to the next level.

Just so happens that your timing is perfect.  We are currently in pre-release for our Renegade Triathlete Psychology System, so we are offering it completely FREE in exchange for honest reviews.  It combines hypnosis sessions, NLP and Energy Mechanics, all specific to the psychological challenges of our sport.

If you would like to test it out for no cost (limited time), please email me:

[email protected]

Best to you and your racing!

2011-06-24 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
My advice for your first race is to make sure you race your race. There will be plenty of people that are faster than you, have better equipment then you, etc. Dont worry about that, just pace yourself and race your race. Also, make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before, eat a good breakfast, pump your tires and have plenty of water. Most importantly, just have fun with it. 
2011-06-24 10:06 AM

User image

Regular
have fun & go balls to the wall!! leave nothing out there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's you best advice pre-first Tri? Rss Feed  

of 2