General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 41m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, drank some gatorade, made a bagel with some peanut butter, drank some more gatorade and packed up all my stuff. Filled up the water bottles and headed on out to the race course. Drank more water and gatorade on the ride over, found some good parking, and went on to set up transition. I spent some time surveying the swim course to try and help calm the nerves......didn't work! All I kept thinking was holy crap, that is a long way! Finished setting up transition, got marked, threw on the wetsuit and headed down to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Swam for a bit in the wetsuit, figured that would be a good idea since I had not swam in it since last season. The warm up swim was not good, the tightness of the suit and the cold water shocked me a bit into hyperventilating. Once I calmed down, I continued on with my swim and felt good as I came back to the start. I took a package of sport beans and waited for my wave to be called.
Swim
  • 46m 19s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

So this swim start had me freaked out, first open water swim of the year, first half ironman, and the constant worry that I missed something in transition. Well that was short lived because my wave got called! I waded out and talked a little with a new person who was freaking out as well (never did a tri before!). I continued to wade for what seemed like hours, then got into some water that was actually swimmable. Took off and tried to settle into a nice rhythm, which worked to a point. It was about 5 minutes in and my right goggle started to leak and it ended up looking like a fish bowl for a little bit. I rolled over and drained the goggles out and got back into swimming. Then it happened again, so I rolled and drained, and began swimming again. Much to my surprise, my goggles began leaking again! But this time it was the left.....so finally after monkeying around with the goggles for 1/3 of the swim, I was able to settle in and finish strong. I felt like I could have gone harder, but being my first half I did not want to kill myself for the remainder of the day.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my goggles are securely on and not leaking, as well as swim a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s

nadda
Bike
  • 3h 02m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was something that I was looking forward to, because I knew once I got on the bike that I would finish the day! Got going and settled into a nice comfortable pace, then came a nice big hill right out of transition....and it kept going, up and up and up......Once I got up to the hill, I settled in and began to prepare for the journey ahead. I got the the first turn off to find a volunteer not directing people, so myself and a few others took a right, seemed like a logical choice, but alas it was not so. We ended up taking the wrong course and had to jog back to get on the right course. Settled into a nice pace around 22-23 mph. I knew that this was too fast, but it was not working to go slower and the legs felt good so I just went with it. Kept that pace for a little while and gradually took it down to around 19-20 mph. My nutrition was to cycle water, perp, and gatorade every 10 min, with a gel every 45. This worked well up until the last hour of the bike when I got a little bloated, but this passed right around the end of the bike leg. Held the pace around 19 for most of the day, until mile 45 when the legs were not so happy anymore. I felt that the pushed pace earlier had a bit of en effect on me at this point, but gotta learn somehow! Came into transition a little tired and sore, but was ready to run

not push so hard at the beginning, and stick to my race plan.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Made sure to take my time here and put socks on, grab gels, number, hat etc, and took off.
Run
  • 2h 47m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this was the leg I was most worried about, because my run is not nearly strong enough. I started off with a jog/walk up the massive hill so that my heart rate would not be sky high, which worked to a point. I began the run and tried to settle into a nice pace but this only lasted for about 3 miles. I began to feel more of the effects of the bloating on the bike which led to some walking times to ease off on the cramping. I was also not used to the trail running style which made my ankles and calves hurt something awful! I remember talking with Dave about entering the pain cave a few times on this distance, and it would be key to push through it. Unfortunately I did not get this done, but it will happen not that I know how to deal with it! I kept on running/walking for the remainder of the course and ate/drank everything at the aid stations. Around mile 6 I developed a pain on both of my feet just under my little toes, I did not pay much attention to it at first, but it gradually grew and grew. I pushed through the pain and the rest of the run to finish off my first half. At first it did not sink in that I finished my first ever half-ironman, but about and hour into the drive on the way home, I got this big grin on my face.....I did it! (then the thought turned to IM Moo in September and the grin went away ;)

push a little more and get through the pain cave to have a stronger run!
Post race
Warm down:

Took an immediate dip in the ice bath to cool off the feet and the calves which were both not happy. I grabbed some water, some food, and some beer and took a seat for a little while to get some solid food into my stomach. Packed up the stuff and headed on home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of experience, lack of mental toughness to push into the threshold past the pain cave.

Last updated: 2011-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:19 | 1931 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full suit
Course: Triangle- out, around, and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:02:06 | 56 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: out and around the farms of Sherwood etc.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:47:11 | 13.1 miles | 12m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Trail run 2 loop course, with a nice uphill to begin the suffer-fest.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greendale, WI
Subject: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman

2011-06-20 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3559008

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman
Congrats on finishing your 1st Half. A lot of those lessons sounded familiar. Now on to the big show!
2011-06-20 10:02 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Great job Patrick! You should be smiling. You got out there and got it done!! Can't wait for September!
2011-06-20 10:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Way to get through your first 1/2, sounds like your setting up well for MOO. CONGRATS!
2011-06-21 5:32 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Congrats on finishing your first HIM!!!

2011-06-21 6:27 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Nice job on your 1st half!
My feet ankles were sore from the trails too!

2011-06-21 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Congrats on your first half!!! On to Moo!!!
2011-06-21 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great job Patrick & congrats on the first HIM! 
2011-06-21 8:51 PM

User image

New user
Sounds familiar! Great job on the race...that run was not fun!
2011-06-22 2:12 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Excellent job New Guy!!!  next up.....Moo Moo!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed