Sun Sport Events
7F / -14C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 40m 50s
Overall Rank = 13/505
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/27
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a friend's house in New Bedford the night before. I left work a bit early and tried to beat the rush hour traffic, but the ride ended up taking about 2.5 hours so I didn't get there in time to preregister or meet up with the BT crew.
Woke up a little before my alarm at 4:30 and had an Ensure with a couple bananas. Race site was only about 20 min from my buddies house so that was great. Ended up being one of the first people in transition.
Event warmup:

Did a real quick ride just to make sure the bike was good. Due to the weather, I hadn't ridden it since I put my race wheel + cover on so wanted to make sure it was good. The other NEMSer's and I went for a quick run and did about a 100 yard warm up swim.
Swim
  • 31m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was very average. I'm a very big advocate of taking it easy on the swim to all my swimmers so I was sure to practice what I preach. The start was rather uneventful and I really didn't have much contact at all. I was swimming straight and my navigation was good. I swam right next to one guy in my age group the whole way. It was kinda awkward at points because we were right next to each other for a long time and we were breathing to opposite sides so we kept looking right at each other. I was kinda hoping he was going to pull away a little bit so I could draft him, but it never happened. At the end of the swim, the ground was very rocky which I found out in the warm up so I was sure to swim as far in as I could which worked out well. As we came out of the water, he said "Thanks for pushing me" and I guess I'm glad I could help.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I think I may have sighted a little too often. I was going straight, but was sighting quite a bit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Had the fastest T1 in the race so I'm going to go ahead and say I had a good T1. :) I'm kinda surprise by this because my spot was one of the furthest from the bike out so I can to run with my bike for longer than most people did.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 28m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I need to pushed a little on the bike today. That being said, I don't know when the heck my HR hit 190...I don't think that's right. Since the course was so flat, I knew I wanted to attach the hills so I did so. Some of my teammates and I came and rode the course a few weeks before the race, but apparently the route on mapmyrides that I uploaded wasn't right. However, the race course was WAY better. There was one really crappy section of bumpy road I was expecting/kinda dreading, but it never came, which was awesome.

I knew I was going to beat Nate (natethomas2000) out of the water and that he would be catching me on the bike. I did my best to postpone that as long as possible. He passed me towards the end of the first loop and it was nice to see him. He was looking great and my fed off his energy. I averaged 280 watts on the first lap which was a little higher than I had planned, but was really happy to finish the first lap in 1:13:38. I did check that my power was a little high so I toned it down a little bit on the second loop.

Def made a major tactical error on the second loop. The only liquid source I had was my speedfil which had a cover over it. I thought I had filled it up to the top at the last aid station before the 1st loop ended. However, just about a mile after the 2nd loop aid station, I ran out of Heed. Uh oh! I realized I was doing the next 20 miles without any fluids. That was disappointing, but just kept on pushing. There was an aid station just before the end of the bike so I did take another bottle and took in a little before the end of the ride. Avg power for the 2nd lap was 267, which was a little low, but did put me at 274 for an average, which was just below my desired average.

Do a better job of checking how much Heed was in my speedfil so I don't run out of fluids. Besides that, I'm happy with my ride and think I paced myself well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Dismounted fine and was running with my bike and took my helmet off. Unfortunately my helmet clipped my sunglasses as I was pulling it off and they fell off. When I stopped to pick them up, one of the lenses was popped off. I just quickly told a volunteer to grab it for me and I decided to ditch my shades for the run, which I wasn't thrilled about.
So I got my socks and shoes on pretty well and took off out of transition only to realize I forgot my Garmin on my bike. Damn! Was only about 20 feet away and knew I needed it so I turned back and grabbed it. Despite all that, I still has one of the faster transition times so I'll talk. I think this is definitely the first time my T1 was faster than my T2.

Not drop my sunglasses and have one of the lenses fall out of them and not forget my Garmin on my bike!
Run
  • 1h 38m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Not happy with my run. As I was coming out of transition, I was side by side with the guy that won my age group. We said nice job to each other and I didn't realize he was in my age group because he had compressions socks covering his calves. He came out at a really fast pace, prob like 6:15 and as soon as he did that, I backed off. I knew that was too fast and I needed to stay disciplined. Everything was going great for the first 2 miles and then out of no where, I got a cramp on the right side of my stomach. I have gotten these before, but normally they slowly come on. As a result, I took it easy and tried to work it out, but didn't have much luck doing so. The rest of the run was a total battle with the cramp. I just kept trying to go as fast as I could without letting the cramp come back, but it kept sneaking back in. I did walk at the aid stations and put my hands over my head which did seem to help with the cramp. Since I already was cramping, I didn't take in any gels or nutrition during the run besides coke and water. Not sure if that was the right move or not, but I think it was. It was definitely hot out there and there was a lot of time exposed to the sun.

This was a very frustrating run. I don't like knowing I've got more in me and not being able to give it my all. I'm pretty shocked to see that time was the 3rd best in my AG and 22nd overall. I was shooting for around 1:31-1:32.

Not get a stomach cramp...
Post race
Warm down:

Went straight over to a ice tube and sat in it for a few minutes then grabbed some muscle milk, chatted with Nate and heard about his crazy race, and waited for the other NEMSers to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cramp on the run.

Event comments:

Kudos to Mark and Sun Multisport for putting on an outstanding race. This was my first time getting on the podium for a Half Iron distance race so I was happy about that. Def room for improvement, but a solid effort. A couple of my athletes also did the race and completed their first HIMs so it was really cool to be there with them and see them succeed!

Last updated: 2011-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/27
Overall: 45/505
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full
Course: Very clean rectangular out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:28:28 | 56 miles | 22.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 15/505
Performance: Good
Avg Power: 274 Avg HR: 168 Max HR: 190???
Wind: Little
Course: Super flat with a few rollers, lots of shade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:38:11 | 13.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/27
Overall: 22/505
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 169 Max HR: 184 Splits: 1: 6:41, 2: 6:54,3: 8:00, 4: 7:24, 5: 7:33, 6: 7:45, 7: 7:37, 8: 7:41, 9: 8:02, 10: 7:51, 11: 7:35, 12: 7:20, 13: 7:12
Course: Mostly flat, a few hills, occasional shade, road surface is good in most parts.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2011-06-21 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3559089

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
It was a real pleasure to meet you, how you picked me out in that crowd i will never know. Congrats on the hardware and a stellar race, hopefully we will cross paths again in the near future!!!
2011-06-22 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Great race, Colin! Too bad about the cramps or you would have run me down. Hope you're feeling good after a few days. Looking forward to you rocking at LP!
2011-06-22 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

Great race Colin!

That's bizarre that the cramp wouldn't go away...

Question: 274watts for 22.63mph? Does the speed seem low for the power to you?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed