Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 37m 3s
Overall Rank = 42/196
Age Group = M40
Age Group Rank = 8/33
Pre-race routine:

The race started at 9am, waves every 30min throughout 1pm
My wave was 11am, together with me started both Ralfs from the club
The Lenz brothers were on at 10am, Uli at 10:30am, Merat at 11:30am, Thomas, Toni, Joe and Karsten at 12:30am, so the club was spread out over the whole day
I arrived at 9am with lots of time. After getting my start package, I wanted to set up my bike. Blew my rear tire when checking the pressure, I changed the tire right at the car, was upset but had lots of time
Between setting up T and trying to see friends start and finish their swim, time went by fast and I finally got to the pool with about 10min to spend
Did a few strokes to warm up
When everybody was in the water, I asked around for expected swim times and this way we sorted and I was able to go first
Event warmup:

Not a lot, as usual..:-(
Swim
  • 16m 48s
  • 950 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

We were 7 people in a 50m lane, actually not too bad, I was clearly the fastest in the lane and after discussing expected swim times I started first. Had to lap most folks only once, stayed behind a group for the last half lane, did not want to risk anything for 2 or 3 seconds

What would you do differently?:

After all, I enjoyed the swim because I could mostly swim at my own pace and by myself, nothing to change really
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Very bad start onto the bike, had decided to put on shoes in T, when I tried to clip in, my right foot felt like it would start to cramp, so I stretched a little

I might have to start keeping the shoes on the bike
Bike
  • 1h 25m 40s
  • 43.9 kms
  • 30.75 km/hr
Comments:

The wind SUCKED (25kph, gusts up to 50kph)
The occasional rain sucked even more, especially the short rain towards the end, felt like hail and sucked energy

About 5km in I felt my rear tire acting up, decided to stop to check if something was broken. It turned out that the new tube was slightly expanded at the valve

Also, the hills were very tough for me, there was a group of about 5 guys, 1 in particular, who were passing me on the uphills, and I then I would pass on the downhills

One part of the loop was on a high plane, going straight into the wind for 1km or so, I was actually doing pretty well there and passed people

Switch off wind and rain
Loose weight to get up hills faster
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Rather long way around the transition zone, not too many bikes around when I came in
Took some HEED plus grabbed Clif ShotBloks
Time was included in bike split

Was okay overall
Run
  • 50m 58s
  • 10.2 kms
  • 04m  min/km
Comments:

this felt like one of my best runs, if not the best run ever
Using the Zoots felt great and fast, I think I had great form, at least for the first 8km
Unlike on other runs, I was passing people, even some who looked "serious"
The weather had cleared by now, no more rain and some sun
Around km6, I felt my left ankle rubbing against the shoes and knew that I would "draw blood", I continued to be a bother, but nothing serious
I was just thinking: "from now on I should be running less so that I race faster when.... right at the last turnaround, just under 8km, from step to the next I felt a light sting in the biceps femoris. For the next 1.5km it was little more than a nuisance, but then it started to really hurt, was even limping

The GPS came up shorter than 10.5km, no matter what I was running 10k under 50min!!

I probably DO need to run more to prepare the biomechanics for race stress
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around with the Lenz brothers, and watched Uli and both Ralfs come in

Was neither thirsty nor hungry, actually nutrition on the complete day seemed just about perfect

This was the first time I would have liked a massage, but they did not offer this in the finishing area

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not feel fully happy with my performance, even though realistically it went as well as possible

Of course the bike stop sucked

Event comments:

Overall ranking only in male group without "Liga starters"
There were 48 female non-Liga starter, 3 of which were faster than me

On the other hand, there must have been approx 100 Liga Starter, most of which were probably faster than me...:-))

Last updated: 2011-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:48 | 950 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/33
Overall: 17/196
Performance: Good
AHR 160, MHR 170
Suit: None
Course: First tri swim in a pool for me since my very first triathlon 24 years ago 50m lanes, heated:-) with everyone swimming, there were quite some waves and one had to be a little careful breathing
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:25:40 | 43.9 kms | 30.75 km/hr
Age Group: 7/33
Overall: 45/196
Performance: Below average
AHR 158, MHR 173
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: About 3km connector from T to loop, some uneven road surface and very tight spaces 4 loops of about 9.3km, two hills, one of them about 1km long
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 74
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:58 | 10.2 kms | 04m  min/km
Age Group: 13/33
Overall: 81/196
Performance: Good
AHR 166, MHR 176
Course: Out and back course, 2 laps After first lap you passed the finish area and received a red band to mark the lap Course was wide mix, some uneven running over a field, street and sidewalk through residential area, rough asphalt, soft forest road
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes