United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 22s
Overall Rank = 193/366
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 9/20
Pre-race routine:

I grabbed a RS Recovery and a McDonalds Skillet Burrito about two hours before the race. 30 minutes prior to the race I had 800 mg of Ibuprofen.
Event warmup:

About 30 minutes before the race start I did some easy jogging and light stretching. I think it was ample because my calves felt OK throughout the run.
Run
  • 1h 40m 22s
  • 7 miles
  • 14m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran controlled down the road. When we got to the trail I slowed to a speed that allowed me to move thru the rough terrain. On the downhill I was picking areas to pass. Somewhere in the bottom of the valley I lost my will to pass. At that point I was trying to hold off runners as best as I could. A few passed some didn’t. On the last mile I am not aware of anyone passing me that I did not pass back before the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Technically I think I ran well. From a mental standpoint I wish I could have run the entire last mile rather than pieces of it. As my left knee gets better I will add more hill and speed workouts. I would like to workout more at Mary Young park.
Post race
Warm down:

None. I got some water, a hot dog and some Navy Beans.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Because of the leg injury a lack of speed workouts has really hurt me. Three miles of climbing really exposed my lack of climbing. I plan go mix in some hill workouts with some track workouts and just keep whittling away at the age groupers.

Event comments:

Because of work at the at the White River Snow park we had a new 7 mile course. It was very difficult. I am looking forward too the old course coming back next year. Kevin was great as always. Good prizes as well as a good group of runniers. I always enjoy the X Dog events.

Last updated: 2010-12-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:22 | 07 miles | 14m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 193/366
Performance: Average
Course: The course was new and very difficult. It was a 3 mile drop to the bottom of a valley. Then there was the half mile weaving at the bottom of the valley in and around a stream and swamp. Finally the 3 mile climb out. The first and last mile was the paved entrance to Mt Hood Meadows. The other 5 miles were thru the forest on what at best was a deer trail. Between the low branches and shrubs I lost all the skin between my knees ankles. I think the race director was trying to make up for the 2 miles of pavement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes