Alberta Triathlon Assoiation
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 03m 41s
Overall Rank = 4/100
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/19
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 5:30 and had a fruit smoothie plus a couple slices of toast w/peanut butter and jam. I drove over the the race site which is 5 minutes from home. That's always nice.
Event warmup:

I had high hopes for this race, but that was quickly dashed when I saw Grant Burwash and Kyle Marcotte setting up their transitions - two local pro's. I knew at that point the race would be for 3rd place and no better. I think that deflated me a little and it changed my outlook on the race.

I got into the water and there was a little bit of a cold shock when I first got in, but once the wetsuit does it's thing then I was good to go. I swam around a bit and then made my way back for the start.
Swim
  • 34m 23s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

At the beach waiting for the race to start I didn't have the usual butterflies or nerves. I was quite calm.

As the horn goes the 100 people jump in and for the most part all pass me. A couple hundred meters later I passed most of them back. Not sure why people go out so hard. I settle into a group of about 6-7 guys. The pace is a little slow for me, but there is a large gap to the next group ahead and I didn't really feel like making a push to catch them. Here I was racing, but I didn't have the killer instinct...I was just bleh.

I followed feet the whole time and coming out of the water to do the second lap I just walked around the buoy and calmly went back in. Normally I run this, but, again, I wasn't feeling it. I just sat in.

One interesting thing: on the first lap as we were approaching the buoy to turn right the guy to my right starting swimming to the left. I could either swim left with him or get swim over. So I pushed him to the right toward the buoy and said something to the affect of "you're going the wrong way". The guy was poor at sighting obviously. Maybe it was a jerk move, but I think I was doing him a favour. My sighting was very good this race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The T1 time is including in the total bike time. I spent extra time putting a jacket on because it was cool and windy. The shitty thing is that the jacket is a wind-breaker style and no aero at all.
What would you do differently?:

I need arm warmers to avoid the jacket parachute.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 58s
  • 96 kms
  • 33.11 km/hr
Comments:

Out of T1 and I passed 7-8 people before I even hit the highway. I had no idea where I was in the race, but I could see several people ahead of me on the road.

I turned onto highway 22 and the ride out west was a grind into the wind. It was hard to hold 30kph going downhill let alone on the flat sections. I just road as best I could and started passing people one-by-one. Passed two women...both of them not riding on the right and blocking and both of them oblivious to me saying 'on your left'...seriously ladies - get out of the way.

Despite passing all these people I still didn't feel like I had the race legs. After 35 minutes I took my first gel and was passed by a rider that I had previously passed. I think he was trying to make a statement. I don't really sweat it at this point. I pass another couple guys and buddy who passed me earlier is fading. It probably wasn't until after riding a good hour that I finally felt a little life in the legs. Okay, let's do this, I thik to myself and pick up the pace. I start actually riding like I mean it now. Pass buddy and pass another two guys. I can't see anybody beyond that.

I see Burwash on his return trip...he's flying. A large gap behind him and then I see Marcotte then another large gap and 3rd place guy and another large gap and 4th place. I get to the turnaround in 5th place. Finally some tailwind!

Flying home at nearly 50kph is really fun. I blew up hills to increase the gap behind me. It didn't take long for anybody behind me to be out of sight. I couldn't see the 4th place guy though so I knew I'd have to do it on the run. I came into T2 relaxed and ready.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, my T2 time is including in the bike leg. I felt like it was fairly fast, but I had to take off the jacket and my road-cycling shoes which takes a little longer.
Run
  • 1h 35m 21s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 31s  min/km
Comments:

My plan was to run a consistent batch of 4:15's so I could come in under 1:30. Sadly, that didn't happen.

The first couple kilometers I was fine, and actually had to slow down to keep myself in check. Burwash passes me doing his second lap as I'm just 3k into my first lap. Holy crap he's flying! I'm still doing okay, but then get a side cramp on both sides. WTH?! I hardly ever get side cramps, and NEVER on both sides at once. I decide to slow down a bit to hopefully deal with the issue. Some deep breathing finally rids me of the pain and I'm 8k into the run. The problem now is I don't have juice in my legs. I'm running 4:25's, which is usually very comfortable for me, but I'm totally gassed. I have thoughts of walking or DNFing after the first lap. A weak mindset for sure.

I go through the section where it's an out-n-back and can see 4th place guy probably 1.5k in front of me. I start doing some math and figure I'd need to run the 2nd loop 5 minutes faster than him if I have any hope. As I make my way back from the out-n-back I see the guy behind me is about 1.5k back. He'll have to run the next loop 5 min faster than me to catch me. The good thing about being a strong(ish) runner is you know that it won't be easy or probable for him to run 11k 5 minutes faster than I can...but I also know catching the guy ahead is just as unlikely.

I start the second lap in 5th place and pretty much know that that's the position I'll stay. Running the second lap I'm now running with lots of people on their first lap. It was probably around the 16k mark or so I pass a guy walking. I don't give it a second thought as I was passing lots and lots of people all on their first lap. The guy behind me is still the same distance behind and with 3k left I know I have lots of time to finish without losing a place. I walk a couple aid stations. I crawl up the Fish Creek hill the final time and I'm in full on death march towards the finish.

My brother in-law and wife are there cheering me on as I come through the final stretch. I cross the line and I'm happy to just be done! My brother in-law asks "How do you feel?". "Like throwing up", I reply.

I find out I came in 4th. I guess that guy walking (wearing an Ironwill shirt to boot) was the 3rd place guy but he hit a wall. He ended up losing another spot and finishing 6th after coming into T2 in 3rd.
Post race
Warm down:

I was in a world of hurt and just needed to lay down for a while. I wanted to crawl up into a ball and cry but I fought off that urge.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Today, I think it was a couple things. First, I'm not sure I was as prepared as I needed to be for the bike. Second, my mindset for the race was not good. I didn't have the killer instinct and I believe I could have had 3rd place if I raced like I normally can. This was my first triathlon where I just wasn't that in to it...even while I was doing it. My legs did not show up and my mind was on vacation. Not a good combo.

Event comments:

Soon after I was done they held the awards ceremony for the Olympic race. They used to do this on the evening of the race, but have now opted to do it post-race. BUT - they didn't get around to doing the awards ceremony for the 119.1 distance until a few hours later. I don't mind sticking around for a little while, but after racing for 5hrs, then sitting out in the cool wind after - also having a kid that needed a nap and a wife that's been standing in the cold for several hours...I was impatient and just wanted to go home. As I was walking away to leave I finally hear them start the awards ceremony so I walk back to collect my 3rd place AG "trophy". It was a native carving of a guy in a canoe. Not my type of thing, but whatevs.

I won't be doing this race next year if it's the same weekend as Banff Bike Fest again. If the RD was smart he'd move it to another weekend and he'd likely see more guys sign up. Plenty of people I know opted to do Banff Bike Fest instead of this race.

Last updated: 2011-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:23 | 2000 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 19/100
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 16C / 61F Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:58 | 96 kms | 33.11 km/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 6/100
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:35:21 | 21.1 kms | 04m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 4/100
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-21 11:03 AM

Regular
Subject: Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon

2011-06-23 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3559930

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon
Nice race report. Although you sound like quite the downer for finishing 4th. Shame you didn't really have it in you. Sounded like you put in a good effort at times though and managed to battle through the mental demons for the most part. Any race you finish "having to puke" seems like a good one to me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed