General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Indy - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-05 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3631501

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Tri Indy - Olympic Course : Official Thread
apicek - 2011-08-05 9:24 PM

1100xxben - 2011-08-05 9:20 AM  They will provide bags to put a pair of shoes/sandals in, so there's no reason to make the trek bare-foot.  Also, use the bathroom as EARLY as possible.  Last year they only had ~10 porta-pots, and the line gets rather long.  I felt so bad for my wife last year.  She missed my swim start by quite a bit because she was standing in line for the bathroom while 7 months pregnant!

I saw a warm up area in the canal posted in the swim map, isn't that what that's for?

Hmmm? I may have to consider that this year? JK

2011-08-05 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3561724

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Assigned 7:45 start time.  I'm gonna get swum over BIG timeYell
2011-08-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3631537

User image

Fort Wayne
DirkP - 2011-08-05 10:01 PM
apicek - 2011-08-05 9:24 PM

1100xxben - 2011-08-05 9:20 AM  They will provide bags to put a pair of shoes/sandals in, so there's no reason to make the trek bare-foot.  Also, use the bathroom as EARLY as possible.  Last year they only had ~10 porta-pots, and the line gets rather long.  I felt so bad for my wife last year.  She missed my swim start by quite a bit because she was standing in line for the bathroom while 7 months pregnant!

I saw a warm up area in the canal posted in the swim map, isn't that what that's for?

Hmmm? I may have to consider that this year? JK

Only if it's #1 Surprised

2011-08-06 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis

Checked out the swim course today during packet pick up. Those sculptures in the middle of the canal should be fun to try and site off of in the water. I betting at least someone knocks into those things tomorrow. 

The bike out is really confusing. Where are we heading once we get over the bridge?

2011-08-06 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3632016

User image

Master
Central Indiana
bo4uofm - 2011-08-06 4:23 PM

Checked out the swim course today during packet pick up. Those sculptures in the middle of the canal should be fun to try and site off of in the water. I betting at least someone knocks into those things tomorrow. 

The bike out is really confusing. Where are we heading once we get over the bridge?

This will be my 3rd TI, & yes the canal will require some sighting.  I give those fountains a wide berth to avoid breathing in the spray.  And I've seen more than a few swimmers get caught by the walls widening & narrowing.

The bike Out/In will deserve some caution.  According to the map (& past yrs' course), the bike out is over the bridge, out Blackford St. and right on New York St.  Inbound (after 2nd lap for Oly) is the reverse.  Sections of the deep reddish brick on the bridge itself can be a bit slick, esp if wet.  In the past they have had a ramp over the curb between the bridge & south end of Blackford.  I walked that section after packet pick-up & Blackford looks ROUGH.  With the construction going on that pavement is narrow (tough to pass), rutted, & scattered with sharp gravel. Would not break my heart if they found a way to bypass that area.

I'm Bib # #245 (7:45 start) riding a black/green/white Slice.  Always enjoy meeting BTers at events so stop by during set-up & say Hi.

Best to all in AM!

2011-08-06 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

Good luck everyone, specially the triathletes-to-be!!

2011-08-07 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis

That was my first Oly and it was incredibly hard. I definitely needed to train for the run more. I signed up for the Indianapolis HM in October so hopefully I can get my run figured out by then. It was great that there was some cloud cover, but I thought it was still pretty hot. I really cooked myself at the end of the run and was seeing spots for about 30 minutes after I finished. The swim was my funniest part, I couldn't swim a straight line for the life of me. I wanted to stay about 4 feet off the right wall, but I ended up all over the place. My family couldn't figure out what I was doing, but got a kick out of seeing me. I definitely need more open water swim practice. Overall, I had a great time. I don't think I want to move for the next 24 hours, but other than that I feel fine. Wink

Can't wait to try this again next year, hopefully I'll be in much better shape and about 20 pounds less. Congrats to everyone, can't wait to hear how you all did.

2011-08-07 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3632601

User image

Master
Central Indiana

It get easier, Bo.....At least that's what I thought before today.  My 3rd yr of tri, & 1st time my performance was worse on same event I had done previously.  Even more demoralizing since I've put in MUCH more training time this year.  Best I can say is I didn't crash or flat. 

2011-08-07 4:21 PM

I was not impressed with the swim start.  I was 139 and got in line when they asked us to.  I was surrounded by people in the 400's, 800's, and even a couple 1000+ numbers.  My swim start time was 7:40 but I don't think I got in till at least 7:55. 

And while we are on the swim, what the heck was with that cold section right before the sprint start area.  The canal was nice and warm, then all the sudden, the temp dropped a ton under one of the bridges.  It was uncomfortably cold.  Then 50m later, it was uncomfortably warm and smelled really bad. 

I crushed the bike course (by my standards).  It was very flat though it was definately bumpy in places (you guys warned us).  I liked the run course, especially through the zoo.  Lost some seconds putting back on my timing chip when it came off (thats a first).  I didn't get passed by many people on the run, so hopefully my time was good.  Either that, or we were all gassed.

2011-08-07 5:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN

I hear you I was 215 and didn't get into the water until after 8:00 I don't understand why people sign up as below average or like a rock but feel the need to forge to the front of the line? The temp did drop quite a bit under that bridge not sure what was up with that.  I swim open water swims alot and if I had to guess I would say the water was around 75-76 degrees at the start. 

I ran about :40 per mile slower than normal I'm not sure if the humidity got me or what, but only a few people past me also.

2011-08-08 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids

Well, I will chime in on a few things and COMPLETELY AGREE with the swim start process - that was a complete disaster.  I had gotten in and warmed up, got in line when called, then BAM 25 min just standing there.  I didn't go off until around 8:00.

While running the second loop, i was running with another guy and we both commented how lucky we were that the sun WASN't out - that humidity just killed me.   After I finished I saw one guy get immediately taken over to the med tent and they were icing him down.

Can anyone tell me if the bike was just a little shorter this year or if anyone felt any head wind? During the bike I felt like I was doing well, but my avg mph shows a little slower than last year but that i was 5 min faster in time?

A couple of ongoing wishea for Tuxbro - please go to a wicking/tech shirt ( I promise i'll pay extra) and get your timing company to update software so you can sort by bib, age group ect and be able to print out a personalized page with individual stats!

And finally, brought a buddy who had never done one before and he is totally hooked - add another one to the ranks

Edited by WOT 2011-08-08 7:34 AM

2011-08-08 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran

For a first timer at Tri Indy I wanted to say that I really enjoyed this race.  The swim was pretty much what I expected and I had the same concerns as noted above.  However, I managed to stay calm and that was my biggest obstacle to me.

There were definitely some rough spots on the bike course.  So much so that I thought for sure that I had popped a tire or cracked a rim.  I've got to inspect my wheels when I get home today since after the race I pretty much cooled down, packed it up, and headed back to Chicago.  Once there I cashed out.....

Oh, and I felt great on the run and was passing by quite a few folks so I thought I must be doing OK.  I looked at my split times and I was about 20-25 off my normal splits so I think the humidity was getting to me and others.  I also started feeling cramps in my quads the last mile and a half and that possibly affected my times.  Regardless, I still felt strong afterwards.

See you next year

Edited by FurnaceM3 2011-08-08 7:49 AM
2011-08-08 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3633451

Send your message to Tuxedo Brothers directly on their website.  I have been asking for 2 years that they update how they post results.  If more people ask, then MAYBE they will update and post the same every other decent race does.  Other than their results posting, I think they do a great job.
2011-08-08 3:23 PM

New user

Chicago

I had a great time at Tri Indy for my first tri!

The beginning of the swim was certainly a cluster. I was about 30 minutes late getting into the water, and spent most of the swim sighting how to get around slower swimmers in the narrow canal. 

Although the bike course was rough, I was really impressed with the number of volunteers out there and the clear directions in and out of the transition area during the race. I also met some great people out on the course who were very supportive and made the overall experience extremely enjoyable. 

... now to find another one to squeeze in before the end of the year (and figure out how to get those transition times down)!

11:16.9 (107)
02:07.2 (272)
0:38:21.3 (19.4 mph/196
01:23.8 (248)
0:25:41.5 (08:16.2/124)
1:18:50.8

Edited by Excityislander 2011-08-08 3:25 PM
2011-08-08 3:43 PM

Yeah, the results page is lame.  I was able to cut and paste it to Excel.  After playing with it for a few minutes, I got the data into sortable boxes, formatted, and then deleted everything but my age group.

2011-08-08 4:42 PM

User image

Fort Wayne
WOT - 2011-08-08 8:33 AM

Can anyone tell me if the bike was just a little shorter this year or if anyone felt any head wind? During the bike I felt like I was doing well, but my avg mph shows a little slower than last year but that i was 5 min faster in time?

Actually, the bike was longer this year, but the speeds are screwed up from both last year and this year.  You'll have to figure out your speed on your own.  The course was 23.25 miles last year, and I had it at 24.05 this year.  If I remember correctly, I figured that the results computer figured speeds based on a ~25 mile course this year and last.  Last year it had me at 22.9 and I only did 21.4 mph.   This year, it had me at 23.9 and I had 23.1 mph.

2011-08-08 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3634591

User image

Fort Wayne
ziggie204 - 2011-08-08 4:43 PM

Yeah, the results page is lame.  I was able to cut and paste it to Excel.  After playing with it for a few minutes, I got the data into sortable boxes, formatted, and then deleted everything but my age group.

I don't know why everyone dislikes the results so much.  I'm very thankful that they post the results with even spacing and everything lines up so that it can be easily imported into Excel.  I prefer to have them in Excel and I can sort them the way I like.  Yes, it would be nice to have them sortable/searchable online, but trust me, I've been to many races where the results posting is SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

What drives me nuts is that some people obviously didn't complete 2 loops of the run and/or bike, but they don't have them DQ'd on the results.  For example, the winner ran a 16:35 10K?  I'm pretty sure I just ran a sprint race with him and he ran a 15:38 5K.  Last year they had a few at the bottom of the results that obviously cut the course short and were DQ'd. 

2011-08-08 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3634829

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN

I did the Du so I got to avoid the whole swim mess.  

But that bike course is absolutely awful. Worst course I have done in 20+ du's and tri's. 

Having people ride over the curb and onto the road in the first 1/4 mile was terrible.  I strongly dislike getting airborne on my carbon bike w/ carbon rims! 

And the little rubber mats they put up to cover the train tracks accomplished virtually nothing. 

2011-08-08 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
1100xxben - 2011-08-08 6:45 PM
ziggie204 - 2011-08-08 4:43 PM

I don't know why everyone dislikes the results so much.  I'm very thankful that they post the results with even spacing and everything lines up so that it can be easily imported into Excel.  I prefer to have them in Excel and I can sort them the way I like.  Yes, it would be nice to have them sortable/searchable online, but trust me, I've been to many races where the results posting is SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

What drives me nuts is that some people obviously didn't complete 2 loops of the run and/or bike, but they don't have them DQ'd on the results.  For example, the winner ran a 16:35 10K?  I'm pretty sure I just ran a sprint race with him and he ran a 15:38 5K.  Last year they had a few at the bottom of the results that obviously cut the course short and were DQ'd. 

Ben,

Can post a link to the excel spreadsheet/  Someone did something similar last year and provided a link and I made good use of it.  I would love to be able to sort through all the data without having to stare at the screen for an hour only to figure I miscounted etc. etc.

As far as the DQ's I didn't pick up on that stuff but I didn't look either.  But Usain Bolt couldn't run a 10k in 16 minutes!  That makes for and easy decision.

2011-08-08 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
WOT - 2011-08-08 8:33 AM

Well, I will chime in on a few things and COMPLETELY AGREE with the swim start process - that was a complete disaster.  I had gotten in and warmed up, got in line when called, then BAM 25 min just standing there.  I didn't go off until around 8:00.

I was ok with the swim start.  I just put myself into line where I could find a spot.  I was scheduled to start my swim at 7:40 and I was probably pretty close.  the way I see it the ones that might say something to you would likely be the ones that were in the wrong place anyway..........."Sorry about your luck pal, move back to where you are supposed to be or get an official to sort through the problem.".....thats how I would handle it.  Let them figure out what to do when you step in line in the correct place.

I had a good swim because I got in when I was scheduled.  I passed several people and used a couple of slower swimmers to draft so I could catch a break for a few strokes then I dropped them.  It worked out good for me.

2011-08-08 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3635013

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
yeah the 2:40/mile pace doesn't add up. But his bike leg was really slow 1:17 compared to most leaders around 1:00. So it could have been a timing chip mistake. 

2011-08-08 10:45 PM

Soooo....what actually happened with the rightful winner was he wasn't sure where to go after completing his first lap in under 16 minutes.  The volunteer, who was also obviously confused, pointed him towards the finishers chute.  He crossed the finish line knowing he had more to run.  He conversed with the volunteers for a 45 seconds or so and found out where he needed to go.  He finally got back on course and completed his race.  With all of the confusion, he still through down a winning time by around 3 minutes.  This guy is totally legit, and his smoking fast time is totally legit.  If anything, he would have gone faster with no interruptions.  This is a first-hand account.
2011-08-09 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3635154

User image

Fort Wayne

IndyRider - 2011-08-08 11:45 PM Soooo....what actually happened with the rightful winner was he wasn't sure where to go after completing his first lap in under 16 minutes.  The volunteer, who was also obviously confused, pointed him towards the finishers chute.  He crossed the finish line knowing he had more to run.  He conversed with the volunteers for a 45 seconds or so and found out where he needed to go.  He finally got back on course and completed his race.  With all of the confusion, he still through down a winning time by around 3 minutes.  This guy is totally legit, and his smoking fast time is totally legit.  If anything, he would have gone faster with no interruptions.  This is a first-hand account.

I just checked the results again and they have them updated with correct splits for him.  I knew he could run that pace, but it obviously didn't add up with a sub 17 minute 10K, and since there's no timing split between laps, it didn't make sense.  I feel like their signs are confusing, but it is also the racer's responsibility to know the course.  I almost missed the turn on the run last year because I figured it was the same as the bike where the first lap takes the "outside loop" and the second lap takes the "inside loop" to the finish.  There are still a few who obviously didn't take 2 laps on the bike, but they aren't horribly high up in the placing anyway.

2011-08-09 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3635557

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids

There are still a few who obviously didn't take 2 laps on the bike, but they aren't horribly high up in the placing anyway.

OMG - I thought i was the only one who was wondering if that was the case.  On my first loop of the OLY I was tracking with 3 other riders and 2 of them pulled in and I could not for the life of me figure out how.  Crazy

2011-08-19 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
davlewis - 2011-08-19 9:14 AM

I have taken part in both the Sprint and Olympic distance Tri Indy triathlons and find it to be one of the most beautiful locations, the most interesting and friendly experience and very well organized.

Tri Indy swim experience: (rated 10 out of 10) -water (which is only 4 feet deep in the center) was colder than I had expected

Tri Indy bike experience: (rated 8 out of 10) - On the route you will encounter one or two sets of rail-road tracks.  Organizers do their best to cover the tracks with mats; however they were still fairly rough.  You have to hang on and make sure your sunglasses, fuel, water bottles, carbon dioxide cylinders and pumps etc are well strapped onto your bike.

Tri Indy run experience: (rated 10 out of 10) - tarting out over the beautiful White River bridge, the course takes you along the scenic White River trail flanked by both the Indianapolis Zoo and the actual White River.

I've done 3 Tri Indys (all Olys) and while I enjoyed the events I must say you grade easy.  Swim is unique & fun, but 10/10?  Can't compare urban canal to a calm morning in the Caribbean or Hawaii, but beyond venue the swim start was a bit disorganized (seeding #'s were not enforced).  And the bike course this year was more like 5/10 with too much rough pavement (in addition to those RR tracks) & narrow stretches where passing was PITA.  Bottles were strewn everywhere on some rough sections of the road.  So bad that unless the construction work is done I'll skip next year's event. Run was flat & fast, but 10/10?  Cannot compare to a crisp AM in the desert or even run along a Great Lakes shoreline.  And even the OA winner apparently initially missed the signage to the 2nd loop.  Again- had lots of fun at this well-run event, but my grade would be closer to 20-22/30.

Edited by Oldteen 2011-08-19 11:33 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Indy - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4