City of Broomfield
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 36s
Overall Rank = 5/400
Age Group = M3640
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

This race always gets me back into shape and ready for summer. This season was particularly challenging. I had a really long offseason. Earlier this year I had trouble getting back to training. Had some knee issues and found myself in PT for the first time ever. Never did fully recover from that but with minimal run training, I hit the pool and bike hard. Training in the last two months has been great!

Riley had a real bad case of the runs starting Sat. I was concerned because I ate his leftover pizza the night before. Sure enough, I woke up Sun early and had the runs (2x before leaving the house). Once again on my run warmup (a guy walking his dog heard me in the porto and commented on my exit)

and Owen got the runs the next day and so did the wife. Great timing!
Event warmup:

got to the site a bit before 6:30 and racked. took one loop on the bike with a few pickups. felt fine. very nice morning.
did a short run with a few pickups. interupted by a trip to the porto. stomach really not feeling that well and actually thought about not getting into the pool at the risk of an accident and becoming an urban legand. told myself, reluctantly, to go through with it and it would work itself out in the race
Swim
  • 03m 58s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

very good swim. started 3rd behind a 3:30'er and a 3:45'er. Was real excited to tuck behind the 3:45 (I thought I had 3:50 in me today). I lost his feet and the first turn. this swim was hard, but I got my turns in good and did a steady pace. PR for me. I have more in me, too.
What would you do differently?:

stay on feet
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

very good transition. probably the fastest I've done this. good running mount too.

not much
Bike
  • 30m 30s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I hit it hard. could have done a bit better getting into the shoes. once I did, I was on 1st and dropped the guy I came out of t1 with. I was in 2nd with JJ (who did his swim in 3:10) was a ways up Main. started the watch late but ave'd 22.9mph (right about on target) on first loop. by the second loop I was feeling really bad and rethinking my race and not looking forward to the run. I was actually thinking about a DNF, but tried to put that out of my mind. This is only a mini, after all.
did 22.5 on the second lap. Just couldn't push as hard as I wanted

overall hr was low. I should have been closer to 180bpm ave for this race.

I think I took the hills too hard. I should work on a steady effort. I also probably needed to log more time on the tri bike and have gotten more speed work on the tri bike too. didn't feel entirely comfortable. glad to have that bike back in the basement, though

Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

very good
Run
  • 12m 20s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

this was terrible! started out at a pace that was surely below target. by the time I got to the water station (a bit under halfway) I was hurting. I actually had to stop to get a cramp to go away and catch my breath. Ryan passed me here and I was able to "jog" with him for a bit before he started picking it up. I just kept the pace steady, didn't push, and got to the finish line. Riley and Owen ran the chute with me.

oh yeah. two very nasty blisters on my heals from the zoots. I'm not sure why I didn't get these in prior years, but my shoes look like someone got slayed! these will take awhile to heal

I would have loved to run this at target pace! If so, I would/should have got on the podium. While this is my second fastest time on this course, I should have pr'd today. I'll be ready next time.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

illness

Event comments:

great race for the money. the whole community comes out for this and supports it

Last updated: 2011-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:58 | 300 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/400
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: BCC indoor pool. Heat 1, lane 4 (5 of us)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:30 | 11 miles | 21.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/400
Performance: Average
this course is actuall 11.5mi. did 22.7mph ave. 1st lap: 176 bpm ave, 2nd lap: 171 bpm ave
Wind: None
Course: two laps. hard course with one tough hill overall: 22.7mph 173, 187 1: 22.9 176 2: 22.5 171
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good