General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dare To Tri Maple Grove Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2011-08-27 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3562508

New user
Albertville
Subject: RE: Dare To Tri Maple Grove Triathlon : Official Thread
Results- http://www.mtecresults.com/race/show/464LinkedfromMnnesotatrinews.com

2011-08-27 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3662250

Elk River

grbac6800 - 2011-08-27 6:31 PM Results- http://www.mtecresults.com/race/show/464LinkedfromMnnesotatrinews.com

Thanks for the link.

Any ideas why a lot of the bike times are not shown?

Also I see Chris McCormack was disqualified - anyone know why?

2011-08-27 7:00 PM

New user
Albertville
Not sure on the bike times. Macca tweeted that he had mechanical troubles. Came back to the start, and did a sprint distance! "Mechanical issue halfway through the bike here at TriStar111. Regrouped & was able to start & race again in the Sprint. Nice to get a win in"
2011-08-27 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3662269

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Chris McCormack had mechanical problems with his bike during the 111k and dropped out. He got back to the main transition area and did the sprint (and his tweet says he "won" it) but I guess it wasn't official, since he would have to have started 20 minutes after the last wave left for the sprint.
2011-08-27 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3662269

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
TooTallRunner - 2011-08-27 6:51 PM

Also I see Chris McCormack was disqualified - anyone know why?

He got caught drafting off me...

2011-08-27 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3662315

New user
Albertville
=)

2011-08-27 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove

My update: 2:58 total time. Swim okay 31mins. Bike great 1hr18mins. Run sucks big time 1hr2mins. Felt really good and comfortable in swim. Got cramps 2/3 in the swim. Can't believe it. Never had it all this season until now. Wasting 1-2 mins working it out and swam in fine. Took 1st set of salt tablets on bike and felt much better. Lost 2nd set of salt tablets somewhere on the road. Managed the bike very well since I know this route good. Biked those hills on CR30 many times. Started running and got side stitch. Worked it out after 2 miles and starting to feel better. When tried to accelerate, got left calf cramps and I was done. Run is the biggest problem to be resolved. I can do 8min mile intervals on the track but just can't put them together after 26miles bike. Very frustrating with the run. ARRGGGHHH.

Ryan caught me after mile 1 and he looked like just got out of a bar fight. Bloody lip, eyebrow, elbow. So I see he caused himself a little accident but still finished well. Best wishes in your recovery my man.

My young training partner David Phillips took 5th overall and 2nd in 25-29 AG. This is his first year doing triathlon. He's doing very well against top group. BTW, he's riding with stock bike and not TT bike.

2011-08-27 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3661848

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove

The temp was 77, just below 78 and good for wetsuit. I knew they would do their best to get wetsuit legal. Plenty of people were very happy with that announcement...including me of course.

peteweb55403 - 2011-08-27 10:13 AM i am really suprised if it is not wetsuit legal.  I was in the st Paul tri last weekend, and the water temp was mid 70's.  It should be a little cooler since then.....

2011-08-28 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3662363

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I hope they are able to sort out the holes in the results with some work using the manual data.  I would like to see how my bike ranked, but it's impossible to say at this point.

I noticed the referee officials out on the bike course quite a lot and watched them ride behind a women and man, riding side by side (woman in the middle of the lane of traffic), for what felt like 5 minutes.  I expected there to be many penalties racked up there, but looking at the penalties I didn't see a woman with more than one penalty.    Seriously what would you do if a motorcycle was riding next to you for that long - keep drafting/blocking?  It was crazy.   I also saw several peletons go by, it seems to be an epidemic. 

I enjoyed the race overall, but I am surprised now to see they have listed the elite times among the regular age group.  Why does a person who gets a preferential start end up in my age group?  If I were one of the top three girls otherwise, I would be very annoyed!

I really liked the setting of the event with the finish line and everything.  It was fun to watch as I had my sandwich. 
2011-08-28 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Well I just got home and had an interesting experience up in Maple Grove for the TriStar portion of the race. Not sure about others but check in was a pain in the sense that many questions were unanswered about Saturday mornings plan and activities. I was told different things about certain parts of the race including bike racking. We were told Friday afternoon that our gear bags were in customs and bike check in was optional. For the race we where given a changing tent and when I asked if male and females tents were designated they said no since 70% of the field was male (most likely the norm for every triathlo) and they didnt find it needed to have change tents per gender.

As for the race, the swim went great no problems there, the bike was a whole different story. I with about 10-15 others went off course by 10 miles after we split off from the olympic and sprint race. Some of the pros went off course as well. None of the patrols told us we were missing a turn and going in the wrong direction. Interestingly enough a moto ran beside me videotaping WHILE WE WERE OFF COURSE!!!. All of us then found out the mistake turned around passed the patroled intersection again going off course again and we not told otherwise but found our way back on. My first loop was 40 miles instead of the planned 31. Did the sprint course on the second loop. The second aid station on the TriStar course was simply a man by himself with water bottles and gatorade on the ground. Run course was well marked and good, but the bike cause many problems for many of us. Most of us called it early and turned the race into a training day, that was my intention going in anyway so I wasn't too bummed. All in all about 25 of us were Dq'd on the course, me included.

All in all for a series that is trying to make their mark in the U.S. it looks like they missed the boat. A lot of racers were using this as a tuneup for IMWI or a good training day and came away mad about the price they paid for what it was. The Maple Grove race seemed to go off very well otherwise. Volunteers and post race feeding were very good. Was a bit upset to see our street wear bags completely unpatroled and anyone could pick up any bag and walk away.

2011-08-28 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3662741

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Wow, Ben, what a cluster!!!!!   I am glad you found some value it in it, but what a total waste of a drive for you.  Too bad.

2011-08-28 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove
I believe MG RD's bit more than they can chew in adding TriStar to Oly and Sprint races. It's sad that you have pay high entry fee for TriStar race and got DQ'ed because confusion on the bike course.
2011-08-29 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have been looing at the results and there seems to be some problems.  Any idea when/if they will get them sorted out.  For example the fastest run split on the Oly course is faster than the pro run split on the TriStar 111.  And that from someone who posted solid 8:XX pace runs on half marathons.

Also, any idea if the pictures are going to be sorted by something other than the time they were taken?

2011-08-29 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, MN

I sent an email to Pickle events inquiring about the timing errors.  The response is below:

"Brad is definitely aware of the issues with the results from this event, and will be working throughout the week to improve them.

Jake Krohn"

2011-08-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3664100

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
boostedcvc - 2011-08-29 12:19 PM

I sent an email to Pickle events inquiring about the timing errors.  The response is below:

"Brad is definitely aware of the issues with the results from this event, and will be working throughout the week to improve them.

Jake Krohn"

I have already noticed some improvement in the times in my AG, with more bike times showing up.  Sadly, they are still including the elite racers in the AG grouping (annoying).
2011-08-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3664208

User image

Maple Grove, MN
BikerGrrrl - 2011-08-29 12:58 PM

Sadly, they are still including the elite racers in the AG grouping (annoying).

That isn't a "mistake", but a policy decision on their part. They did it last year as well. (The overall winner for the sprint is in my age group.)

Edited by older2533 2011-08-29 1:24 PM

2011-08-29 1:23 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Actually, how do you know who started in the elite wave? Is it on the web somewhere?
2011-08-29 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3664249

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
older2533 - 2011-08-29 1:11 PM
BikerGrrrl - 2011-08-29 12:58 PM   Sadly, they are still including the elite racers in the AG grouping (annoying).
That isn't a "mistake", but a policy decision on their part. They did it last year as well. (The overall winner for the sprint is in my age group.)

I suspected that, it's really my passive aggressive side mentioning it.

I know it's the case this year because I am in the same AG as Cathy Yndestad.
2011-08-30 3:31 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
I emailed pickle events to ask if there was a way to know who started in the elite wave. Got a prompt reply from Brad Pickle that you can see this on the results web page by looking at the tabs to the right. He also said he needed to update the full text results to pull the elites out of the age groups. He did this, so I've moved up one spot in my age group since the overall winner of the sprint, James Graif, started in the elite wave. So you probably moved up as well Bikergrllll (Emily).

Looking at the elite waves is interesting. If I'm reading correctly, in the olympic, the elite wave had six women, and these were the top 6 female finishers out of 77. But for the olympic men, the elite wave had 4 men, and they came in 2nd, 3rd, 48th, and 71st out of 139 men. Wow. The overall winner started with the 30-34 year old men.

For the sprint, only one man was in the elite wave, the overall winner James Graif. It had two women, and they finished first and second among the women.

Edited by older2533 2011-08-30 3:34 PM
2011-08-30 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3666295

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Nice work. I wouldn't want to be the timing company!  It's funny because I noticed the timing mats more at this race than usual and I heard a lot of beeping, so I have to wonder what happened.

That's odd about the male elite group for the Oly.  The last two guys had very average times. I wonder if you can self select yourself for that wave and they just didn't realize?   I didn't seen anything obviously like an extra long time in one category, indicating a problem (bike flat, etc).
2011-08-30 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3666325

User image

Minneapolis, MN

BikerGrrrl - 2011-08-30 3:47 PM Nice work. I wouldn't want to be the timing company!  It's funny because I noticed the timing mats more at this race than usual and I heard a lot of beeping, so I have to wonder what happened.

That's odd about the male elite group for the Oly.  The last two guys had very average times. I wonder if you can self select yourself for that wave and they just didn't realize?   I didn't seen anything obviously like an extra long time in one category, indicating a problem (bike flat, etc).

i have noticed in many races (especially bigger races) where the elite times are all over the map, with at least a few average to below average times.  Yes i understand some could be eventful problems like bike crash.  But like you said many have no glaringly long leg of the  race.  Is it possible that there are consistently racers who are ill or injured?  Or did they get there elite qualification and then life happened and they "got out of shape".  Like i said this has been puzzling me since my first tri at the MPLS Lifetime where there were a few elites that finished "slow".  When i say "slow" I am just meaning compared to other elites.

2011-08-30 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3666519

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
peteweb55403 - 2011-08-30 6:00 PM

BikerGrrrl - 2011-08-30 3:47 PM Nice work. I wouldn't want to be the timing company!  It's funny because I noticed the timing mats more at this race than usual and I heard a lot of beeping, so I have to wonder what happened.

i have noticed in many races (especially bigger races) where the elite times are all over the map, with at least a few average to below average times.  Yes i understand some could be eventful problems like bike crash.  But like you said many have no glaringly long leg of the  race.  Is it possible that there are consistently racers who are ill or injured?  Or did they get there elite qualification and then life happened and they "got out of shape".  Like i said this has been puzzling me since my first tri at the MPLS Lifetime where there were a few elites that finished "slow".  When i say "slow" I am just meaning compared to other elites.

I think most races don't require anything special for the "elite" category.  Maybe you know the RD, or have raced well there in the past.  They don't need the "pro card" from USAT to race in the "elite division" of a local race like that.  I have a friend who raced in one random race as an elite this summer, but all else as regular AG. 

Now, the "pros" at Lifetime are one category. They really are pros and race internationally, Olympians, etc.  Then there are the Elite, usually a lot of locals although in a big race like Lifetime you get travelers.  A quick glance at 2011 results shows some slower times that I would also question and were surely beat by a LOT of AGers.  Odd
2011-08-31 6:32 AM

Minneapolis, MN
?Sorry it took a couple of days but here is the pre-race picture of the group, it was great to meet all of you and I hope you all had the race you planned on.  If you were in the Tristar race I hope you didn't get caught up in all the course confusion.  It was interesting to follow all of the drama in the pro race with several men dropping out on the bike leg (including Macca) and the winning woman not being the first across the finish line.

(BT Group at MG Tri 2011.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
BT Group at MG Tri 2011.JPG (65KB - 25 downloads)
2011-08-31 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3666930

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
2011-08-31 12:44 PM

User image

New user

The "elite" waves in all of the local races are completely self-selected at registration.  You check the box on the online form and you're in.  That's the end of it.  There's no secret password and you don't need to provide any sort of credentials.  I've never heard of a single person being denied entry to a local elite wave for being "too slow".  The RD's are likely way to busy to bother checking the names registered for the first wave and tracking down credentials for the unknowns.

The only exceptions to this locally are Lifetime and Tristar.  The pro waves at those races require an actual USAT pro license.  As of right now the only people in town who meet that qualification are DKT and Devon Palmer.

LTF also has an "elite amateur" wave.  To get in you send a race resume to some dude at LTF and he emails you back a yes/no.  There's no hard and fast rule they follow, it's pretty much left to the discretion of the race organizers.  Judging by the size of that wave in the years I've raced it, they're pretty liberal with who they let in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dare To Tri Maple Grove Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7