General Discussion Race Reports! » Craven-Genki Triathlon at Pike lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Craven-Genki Triathlon at Pike lake - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pike Lake, Saskatchewan
Canada
Saskatoon Triathlon Club Inc
17C / 63F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 58s
Overall Rank = 26/103
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast - I don't even remember. I just know that I didn't have yoghurt because that can be stomach trouble for me in a race. I did have my morning Iced Capp. I was up early, but relaxed in bed for a bit.
Event warmup:

I actually had to do a bit of a warm up on the bike, since I'd never used my race wheels. I ran out of time and good weather to try them out. I know, I know...never use brand new equipment on race day. Well, I placed 2nd in Women's Overall at Provincials, so I guess I got lucky mechanically (not that there is anything to do with luck with my great bike mechanic). I warmed up a tiny bit before the swim.
Swim
  • 27m 49s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was one of my slowest swims. My sighting was terrible, but it was not because of lack of buoys. Ugh. Lack of swim practice and speed drills left me very flat on this swim. Not finding someone to draft off of didn't help.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim longer in the pool and do more speed drills.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Because of the honking big timing chip, this was the first time I had trouble getting my wetsuit off. I was dizzy coming out of the swim and had an extremely difficult time getting my wetsuit off. I almost pulled a muscle doing so. The big timing chips are not liked. Helmet, glasses and race belt went on quick, though.

Ask that we go back to smaller timing chips that work as well under the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 21s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.28 km/hr
Comments:

I worked too hard on this bike. I felt slow. I haven't had the kind of bike training time due to my Scottish trip, so I figured I'd be a bit slow this year.

Get more bike training in.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I got my shoes on a little slower than normal, but they are relatively new and I just put the speed laces on. Otherwise, I felt that this was a really quick transition for me.

Practice with the shoes a bit. Practice taking off bike shoes or learn to do it on the bike. I may ask one of the Junior elites to practice this with me.
Run
  • 47m 50s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 47s  min/km
Comments:

This is where my Scottish Run Across the Highland really helped. This run was less work than any other year. My interval training and high volume through Scotland, not to mention the hills there, left me with extremely good run strength.

My last lap I had to calm myself down a couple of times because I could tell that I was strong in 2nd place for the Women's Overall. I didn't put on a huge burst of speed for the end of the run because there was no one behind me, and I already knew I wasn't going to catch up with the first women.

I took it at a good pace, not too easy, but was able to enjoy the run and the people cheering me on.

Nothing, except go to Scotland every year to run across the country! Or Wales, as my runs there were particularly hilly and hard.
Post race
Warm down:

I stood around and talked to a lot of people post-race and waited for all my friends to finish. When Crystal got in, we stood in the lake to cool our legs a bit, then we showered.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should have done longer swims and bikes and more speed training in those areas. Ask STAC to never use those stupid large timing chips again.

Event comments:

Finishing 1st in my age group and 2nd Female Overall for the Standard Distance made this a very special event for me. The organization was fantastic and the race package jerseys totally rocked!!! The volunteers were fantastic, and I tried to say thank you to every volunteer I passed. I could hear a lot of people cheering me on, and I think there were a lot of JTI women out there as well. These cheers really gave me a great boost.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:49 | 1500 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 38/103
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra
Course: 2-lap triangle course clockwise in darkish lake. The course was set up fantastically well (I'm told this was Jeff Hehn's doing) with fantastic course marking. Terry the Swim captain did a great job of explaining the course to us ahead of time. STAC needs to get a new bullhorn, though.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:21 | 40 kms | 32.28 km/hr
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 18/103
Performance: Average
I don't know how much of this time was my T1 as I think it was included. My T1 was very slow.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2-loops north/south on Pike Lake highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:50 | 10 kms | 04m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/103
Performance:
Course: 2-loop course north/south on paved road along lake.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-22 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Craven-Genki Triathlon at Pike lake

2011-06-23 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3563067

User image

Subject: RE: Craven-Genki Triathlon at Pike lake

Fantastic job!

I have heard a couple of people complain about their slow swims at this race, even though the swim course was apparently the proper distance this year. Maybe the "currents" (if Pike Lake has such things) affected you and others?

I think we had gigantic timing chips at GWN last year, so you may encounter them again! I and a couple of others tried taking off the chip before taking off the wetsuit, which worked well, except that I forgot to put the chip back on. So you might want to practice to figure out something that will work.

Your bike time typically includes both T1 and T2, so you were definitely rocking on the bike. I'd hate (love) to see how fast you would be if you had trained for that!

And the run... well, just wow. Love the comment about training every year in Wales!

This was a qualifier race for worlds, right? Top in your age category... are you going to go?

User image

Delete duplicate... sorry.

Edited by amg 2011-06-23 4:26 PM

User image

Delete duplicate... sorry.

Edited by amg 2011-06-23 4:26 PM