of 2

2011-06-23 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3564282

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Really, really dumb question
lisac957 - 2011-06-23 2:40 PM

kevin_trapp - 2011-06-23 2:14 PM I think snorkels have the same rule as wearing a wetsuit when the water temp is between 78 and 84.  You can do it, but you wouldn't be eligible to win awards.

No, not true at all.
See page 1 for a link to the actual rule on swim equipment.

Yep, I was wrong.  But WTC bans snorkels at Kona, wonder why they wouldn't have that as a universal rule for all their races.

http://ironmanworldchampionship.com/course/rules-and-regulations/

2011-06-23 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3563978

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

Why do you care? Maybe the guy has some sort of physical limitation and can't rotate to breathe.  Maybe the guy used all his money for the entry fee and has a friend of similar size to lend him a bike.  The guy's out there training, not mocking a fellow athlete on an internet forum.

I hope the guy rocks his Ironman!  Then he can go get this tattoo

2011-06-23 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Straight outta Central Flurrrrrida

At least the guy.....doesn't know what he's in for...hehehe

I was going to say ambitious

2011-06-23 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3564711

User image

blbriley - 2011-06-23 5:53 PM

Why do you care? Maybe the guy has some sort of physical limitation and can't rotate to breathe.  Maybe the guy used all his money for the entry fee and has a friend of similar size to lend him a bike.  The guy's out there training, not mocking a fellow athlete on an internet forum.

<3

2011-06-23 6:18 PM

User image

Loves Park
He is a really nice guy, I don't really know him at all except for our one conversation and I don't want to sound like a know it all considering I am really new to the sport and have only done two half irons. But man, Ive road the WI loop and riding a stationary isnt even compariable to riding a regular road let alone that course. He definatly has the dedication, he said he swims for over 2 hours straight a couple of times a week with his snorkel but I hope he is planning on getting on the road or I really think he is going to be in for a rude awakening. I want to tell him that, but don't want to sound like an .
2011-06-23 6:27 PM

blbriley - 2011-06-23 5:53 PM

kudos... very cool response.

2011-06-23 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
If someone can do an IM on this bike then I think that guy can do one on a borrowed bike if he gets the training in.

(IMBMX.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMBMX.jpg (95KB - 26 downloads)
2011-06-23 10:04 PM

Expert
Well he has 17 hours to finish, it may not be pretty, but he probably won't be the only one out there with minimal triathlon experience. I'm always surprised at half-marathons and marathons how many people talk about it being their first race!

2011-06-24 4:03 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
In case anyone reads this thread and thinks snorkels are legal in all races, they're not. Some RD's only allow them for medical reasons. I train with a guy who had neck surgery, so he uses one for longer swims. He always confirms with the RD in advance. BTW, the guy I know happens to be a swimming official for meets, and can crank out a respectable swim time in spite of the snorkel.
2011-06-24 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3564198

User image

Expert
MD
Oh crap I never thought about the dangers of rabid manatees.

Now my day is ruined.
2011-06-24 7:49 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
blbriley - 2011-06-23 2:53 PM

I actually think this would be an awesome tat.   

2011-06-24 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I was in a Sprint race and a 75 year old man used a snorkle.  I think he had a 12 minute swim time for the 300 yards but he finished the race.

Don't know about all races and I am sure some have different rules.

2011-06-24 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3565953

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I would like to dispel the myth that swimming with a snorkel makes it harder to swim or breath in some way.  I personally have a regular snorkel and mask (for snorkel and scuba) and will often swim with it when I am on vacation.  The salt water is gross to me so it's easier to get in a swim with that than trying to gag my way through the normal way.

I am much faster because I never had to change my body position to breathe and risk even a slight drop when lifting my head.  I am a capable, although not at all fast swimmer, so I surely have some body position issues.   The major downside is not being able to see ahead, but if you're not the lead swimmer you always have someone to follow anyway.  Yes, it does create a little drag but if I were to try swimming with it regularly I would get a swimmer's snorkel.

Snorkel =/ slow swim.  It just happens that sometimes a Slow Swimmer will be attracted to a snorkel.
2011-08-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3564198

Regular
AUradar - 2011-06-23 2:05 PM

swimming with a snorkel has it advantageous.  It lets you keep your head in the water longer, increasing your look-out for sharks, man eating sea turtles, and rabid manatees

LOL.... After your first sentence I really thought you were going to say something really, really good.  kudos for the joke though.  You really had me rolling  

2011-08-06 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran

One person mentioned it getting knocked off during the swim, I was a rescue diver for several years. Believe me, when the waves are their tallest, you bite that valve pretty hard. It is also normally connected to your goggles/mask.

There is a significant physiological advantage to using a snorkel. Imagine if you could swim using the same breathing rates you use when you run. I would gladly go swim 10K right now with a snorkel, but can barely do 3k without one. I am amazed that a governing body wouldn't instantly see this as something that should be illegal. They might as well tie a pull line from shore to buoy. I know I can swim this 1500 in 3 minutes. This may well change the races I am willing to enter, or at least may make me choose to take advantage of the situation also. In my mind there is no difference from using a snorkel and doping for a cycling/football/whatever event. I could do a full IM also If they would give me a segway for the run. That snorkel will allow me to save about as much energy as the segway.

2011-08-06 4:20 PM

User image

Chicago

I like the cut of this guy's jib.

No bike?  Screw it, I'm doing an ironman.

Can't breathe when i swim?  Screw it, I'm getting a snorkel, see you at the ironman.

2011-08-06 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3631955

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
DragonBear - 2011-08-06 3:16 PM

One person mentioned it getting knocked off during the swim, I was a rescue diver for several years. Believe me, when the waves are their tallest, you bite that valve pretty hard. It is also normally connected to your goggles/mask.

There is a significant physiological advantage to using a snorkel. Imagine if you could swim using the same breathing rates you use when you run. I would gladly go swim 10K right now with a snorkel, but can barely do 3k without one. I am amazed that a governing body wouldn't instantly see this as something that should be illegal. They might as well tie a pull line from shore to buoy. I know I can swim this 1500 in 3 minutes. This may well change the races I am willing to enter, or at least may make me choose to take advantage of the situation also. In my mind there is no difference from using a snorkel and doping for a cycling/football/whatever event. I could do a full IM also If they would give me a segway for the run. That snorkel will allow me to save about as much energy as the segway.

My breathing during swimming is as relaxed as when I bike or run. Not to be rude, but if you find swimming with a snorkel to be easier than without, your technique could probably use some work. Personally, breathing through a snorkel slows me down, because rebreathing the exhaled CO2 that stays in the snorkel causes me to work harder to get enough oxygen at a fast pace. The only person I've ever seen throw down a decent swim split with one is the guy I mentioned in my earlier post.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really, really dumb question Rss Feed  

of 2