General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI Alternatives Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-31 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Subject: TI Alternatives
Have spent the last 6 months trying to master freestyle the TI way (DVD) with very disappointing results. No problem with the distance but REALLY SLOW. Any alternative methods, books, etc that have worked for other BT'ers?

2005-08-31 8:37 PM
in reply to: #238470

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: RE: TI Alternatives
You might check out Fitness Swimming by Emmett Hines. It is similar to TI, but he gives good instruction and workouts.

It is the book that I am using.

Edit:
You might try looking at Master Swimming programs in your area as well.

Edited by mnewton 2005-08-31 8:38 PM
2005-09-01 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I've got mixed feelings about TI. Been doing it for the past year and my stroke efficiency is better and my HR lower, which is good, but my 100yd times have not improved significantly.

While I've seen improvement in my race times, it's more from being able to swim continuously & efficiently at a steady pace, rather than from any increase in my actually swimming speed. That's gotten me from the BOP to the MOP. Again, I'm not complaining about that, but I'm also starting to feel the NEED FOR SPEED.

At this point I'm pondering joining the local masters group over the off-season. I've been reluctant to do so up until now because they are extremely competition-focused, but the local Y is now recognizing the increasing number of triathletes in the area and say they are going to be offering more tri-related workouts. I don't want to give up doing long intervals, but one day/week of hard shorter intervals will probably help.
Mark

2005-09-01 9:17 AM

Veteran
SF soon!
Rich Strauss recommended the Richard Quick (Stanford swim coach) series a while back. I've gotten great results from the Posture, Line and Balance and Championship Freestyle DVDs.

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/scan/sp=catres...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI Alternatives Rss Feed