woke up at 3:45 left the house at 4:35 arrived at the site at 6am
Event warmup:

walking and swam about 200 yards
Swim
  • 08m 23s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

the swim was crowded was constantly in a pack, weeds were not as bad as warm up. Got to the turn around and got away from some people then ran into the back of the other waves. Really slowed me weaving around them, I guess I should have taken a line farther out.
What would you do differently?:

start wider hammer the first 200 then stay wide and avoid traffic on the way in. Goal was sub 7 min not meet
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

not bad T1 had a long run to my bike and for some reason the pavement really hurt my feet, I just could not run fast throught there. Removed wet suit and put helment and shoes on fairly quickly

work on these for sprints still to slow, need to loose about :30
Bike
  • 38m 27s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 21.53 mile/hr
Comments:

first 1.5 miles my average was only 16 mph, then pushed it had the wind at my back and at the turn around the average was up to 22.5. Coming back could only hold about 21 mph just did not have it today seem like a car that could not shift to 4th gear just stuck in 3rd.

not sure usually always my top split should have averaged over 24 out and 22 back, just not sure if I was tired from last weeks training or just one of those days
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

not a bad T2 but nothing to write home about long run with the bike since my rack was by the port-o-lets and I just could not run fast here.

not much everything went smooth a little faster on the run
Run
  • 26m 31s
  • 3.52 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

felt like I was working hard, I only had one person pass me during the whole run, which made me believe I was doing better than I was. Once again not sure what happen here last year all my sprint splits averaged around 6:50 per mile, but I just could not crank it up today

need to race some more 5k's and speed work. I think training for Muncie 70.3 has slowed me a bit.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

bike and run were just off today, not bad but below my standards. I think the slower volume work for Muncie has slowed me a bit. I was much sharper 2 weeks ago at Logansport which I feel is a tougher course and today was just flat. It happens at least I had fun and it was a beautiful day.

Event comments:

I really liked the course and race management. Very well organized, great food and with so many people had a big race feel about it. The course is set up for speed and does have some challenges. I did have the course at 13.8 on the bike and 3.63 on the garmin for the run. I will be back to race to better my time avenge my performance today. The positive I did qualify for nationals. I enjoyed talking with Brenda and Dirk they rocked the course and look forward to seeing them at Muncie.

Last updated: 2011-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:23 | 440 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/35
Overall: 65/578
Performance: Average
seemed longer than 440 more like 500 yards, stood up around 7:30 time I hit the mat 8:23
Suit: xterra vortex 3 sleeveless
Course: out and around a boat and back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:27 | 13.8 miles | 21.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/35
Overall: 60/578
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: turns and hill out of T1 then straight to Piercston and back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:31 | 03.52 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/35
Overall: 101/578
Performance: Below average
My garmin had it at 3.63 miles laps Mile 1 7:15 Mile 2 7:11 mile 3 7:31 and the last .63 4:22
Course: along a walking path into a walking trail around a housing addition and back on the walking trail and then up a fairly big hill that about broke me then down an extremely sharp hill that scared me and flat to the finish
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-25 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: 18th Annual Optimist Triathlon

2011-06-25 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3567276

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: 18th Annual Optimist Triathlon

Good job today! 

I had the same problems on the swim today but I just never seemed liked I could find my rhythm.  I had weeds all over me for the first 100 yards and then they cleared out.  I did what you said you will do next time.  I went wide and avoided much of the mess in the middle.

I think the run course was just as you said.  My Garmin put it at 3.66 miles, not far off of your 3.63.  My watch gave me a faster pace than the official time too.  So I do think the course was long.

As you said though, I think this was a well organized and well run race.  It was great to meet all some people from BT and I'll look for you at future races.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 18th Annual Optimist Triathlon Rss Feed