General Discussion Race Reports! » L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Dimas, California
United States
Tri Events, Inc.
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 17s
Overall Rank = 148/201
Age Group = 60-64
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 a.m., 30 minutes earlier than my normal workday routine. Showered, shaved, and tried to keep to a normal morning routine. I choose not to eat breakfast, but it is not unusual for me not to eat that early in the morning, or prior to a morning training.
Event warmup:

Did not do anything to warmup. Swam a about 50 yds just to see what the water temp was like, and to feel what swimming with a wetsuit was going to be like.
Swim
  • 09m
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Because it was my first time, I decided to hold back 10 seconds after start. However, when the horn sounded, I could only hold myself back for 5 seconds. Because I was at the favored end of the start line, I ended up exactly where I didn't want to be at the buoy in the middle of everybody. I got swam over, under, kicked, hit, you name it. I started to breast stroke just to keep moving. I couldn't get a stroke in to save my life.
What would you do differently?:

I would hold to my original plan, and stay clear. I lost more time fighting to swim than if I had stayed outside of the group, and just swam my training pace. Even if I swam more yards.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I had practiced my transitions, and it made a big difference. I knew I would be weak in all the events, and thought that I could make up some of the time more easily in the transitions rather than through my training.

Nothing really. Just more practice to get the time down even more.
Bike
  • 31m 23s
  • 8.33 miles
  • 15.93 mile/hr
Comments:

It felt good to be on the bike after a terrible swim. The climbs seemed long, but I climbed steadily and passed a few bikes. The one long downhill was very fast. I maxed out at 38. I didn't want to think about what would have happened if I had a blowout. The only bikes that passed me were on true tri bikes on their second loop. I loved hearing the disc wheels come up behind me.

I just need more time in the saddle, and more training in the hills.
Transition 2
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

T2 was awful. I didn't realize the bike in was on the other end of my rack. At first, I thought someone had taken my gear. I ran back and forth like a chicken with its head cut off untill I realized my mistake. I'm still kicking myself for being brain dead.

Totally walk the transition area and orientate myself to the entrance and exits for each of the transitions.
Run
  • 37m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I have not run the distance in my training without stopping yet, so I ran about what I expected. I stopped at each of the three water stations just long enough to drink a cup. I also stopped about three more times for no longer than 15 or 20 seconds.

I just need more time running.
Post race
Warm down:

None. P-butter sandwich and water. Hanging with my fan club i.e. my wife, daughter, and granddaughter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training time before my first tri. I only trained for eight weeks.

Event comments:

It's a good race to begin with. Fairly short and small, but with enough competitors that you feel like you are part of something. I enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to coming back with some improved times.

Last updated: 2011-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 328 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 152/201
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca Equip
Course: Out approximately 75 yards. Left around first buoy. Then, followed three buoys in straight line to finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:23 | 08.33 miles | 15.93 mile/hr
Overall: 100/201
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Flat at the beginning then rolling hills with two good climbs and one long, fast downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:12
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:56 | 03.11 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 183/201
Performance: Average
Course: Trail run. "Over, under, and through the woods". Only the last half mile were on a concrete walkway through the park. The rest was all narrow dirt trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-25 11:22 PM

New user

Chino Hills
Subject: L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express)

2011-06-25 11:55 PM
in reply to: #3567449

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express)
Congrats on your first race. This series of races is always fun. The weather was perfect race day. It sounds like you learned a lot from your first race, well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » L.A. Triathlon Series, Event #3 (Express) Rss Feed