Tremont Park District
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 56s
Overall Rank = 100/222
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

The race had a unique approach to the swim -- 12 "lanes" in the pool and each person would swim their split alone. My son did the race and started 25th and I went off 184th. So, had the chance to watch him compete and then did a bit of stretching and on to the fun.
Swim
  • 11m 19s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

My lack of swim practice / training hurt me bad here. While I felt relaxed, I could never generate any rhythm or speed. The breathing was great -- one positive. At 200 yards I actually stopped to clean the goggles and did so at every 50 for the remainder of the swim. Did see that I was at 5 minutes at 200 yards, so first half actually was not bad time wise. Very disappointing as 400 yards is nothing / have done it many times without flinching.
What would you do differently?:

I need to put some serious time and effort in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

From the times I saw was about 90th out of 200 people for the transition. Certainly can improve, but did OK. Not a lot of wasted motion this time / just need to focus on doing it faster.

Probably should focus on practicing a few times and pushing through the transition more quickly.
Bike
  • 44m 35s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

My times showed that I was solidly in the middle of the pack. However, I was not at all pleased with the result here as I expected more going in to the ride. Again, an issue of not training enough. Good news was that I kept the cadence solid and got everything out of the training I could. Realistically a very solid effort, but the discipline where I need to most focus / have the most to gain.

Let's do some intervals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Forgot to scope out my exact location in the racks, but only cost me a couple of seconds. My location was nice as I was by the edge and the kids came over and cheered me on through the change. Good and solid / becoming more comfortable.
Run
  • 26m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The run results were great! For the first mile, I hit right about an 8 minute pace and was feeling OK. Just past the mile, started to get some twinges in the leg and could feel the pace falling off. Second mile came in at just over 8:30. Had to really fight to keep the cramps at bay for the final mile, but actually managed to speed up and finish strong in the last 100 yards. Where as swimming and biking have suffered from poor training, my run has benefitted from proper training.
Post race
Warm down:

No cool down -- but the organizers did have an awesome idea in that they had water bottles wrapped with towels that were soaked in ice water. Within 30 seconds I was back to normal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training volume and intensity hurt me on the swim and bike. The legs just won't go at this point in time. Conversely, the cardio system is ready to take it up one or two notches.

Event comments:

While I've only done five triathlons, think this one may be my favorite to date. The organization was outstanding, folks were helpful, course was fair and reasonable. Only draw back was that the swim format took a long time to get everyone through. However, in exchange for that, you got a really great experience.

Personally it was an "up and down" experience. During and immediately after the race I was very frustrated that things were not going well. However, after reflecting, it was another big step forward for me. I continue to learn how to listen to my body and take what it will give me. The cardio aspect of the sport is going great and the gains I am seeing are outstanding. The run is making huge strides with each race. On the swim and bike, I recognize that I'm going to "reap what I sow". For this race, I got out of them what I put in and still had enough in the tank for a solid run. And the swim was a PR in a race, just not up to expectations.

I'll likely be back for this one next year.

Last updated: 2011-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:19 | 400 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 180/222
Performance: Below average
Suit: Pearl Izumi Shorts / UA Top
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:35 | 13.5 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 100/222
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Fairly flat out and back course. First couple of miles had rough pavement. Rest of course was in great shape.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:18 | 03.11 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 100/222
Performance:
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-26 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: Tremont Triathlon

2011-06-27 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3567539

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Tremont Triathlon

Good race report!

Have you planned on picking a legit "A" race and have your life revolve around in for 3-4 months to see what you can do??  You'll have to wrack up "spousal approval units" in the off season, but it may be fun to see what you can do when you're THAT committed to something!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tremont Triathlon Rss Feed