United States
YMCA Camp St. Croix
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 5s
Overall Rank = 143/147
Age Group = F 30-39
Age Group Rank = 13/14
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race about an hour early and set up my spot. Not much of interest to report here. I did misplace my helmet for a bit, so I guess that might be interesting. Except that I found it a few minutes later, so it's really not. LOL.

Oh, my sister was there with me. Her first time on this course. The race announcer (Jerry M.) took interest in the racing Laitinen twins, so he made a few comments about us over the P.A. and gave us some free MN Tri News socks. :) That was awfully nice of him.
Event warmup:

We went for a short jog on the trail to get warmed up, nothing too much. Stretched a bit too.
Swim
  • 15m 19s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have to say, I was pretty darn pleased with the swim, given how much I have actually swam recently. When we took off, I tried to get out quickly in front of most of the wave, and it worked well. There were a couple of superfast gals who took off like rockets, but other than them, I was able to get out ahead of the wave and stay there. Good, clear water most of the way. Some crowding around the buoys of course, but not bad.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I was awfully happy with this. It kind of stinks that the swim end timing mat is way up on the deck because it adds a bunch of time to the swim split, but that's not anything I can do differently.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

This was pretty slow. I was dog tired after climbing "the hill" back up to T1. I needed to recover here. LOL

Magically levitate up The Hill.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 58s
  • 15 miles
  • 14.29 mile/hr
Comments:

So, what to say about this bike...It was fine, I guess. Again, given training, it was fine. Certainly, not great, but fine. I did notice a couple of times that my mind was kind of wandering and I wasn't really pushing real hard, which is not good. (I think I write that in pretty much every race report, don't I?)

If you read my blog, you'll know that my bike was freshly tuned this week. That is good, but it changed the gearing some... It took me a while to get used to it. Also, there was a chunk of time in the middle where it just would not go into the big chain ring. That stunk. So it was the small chain ring for a loooong time there in the middle.

Maybe train more? :)

This split also has a good amount of time included that isn't actual riding (pretty good distance from timing mat to the mount/dismount line), but it is what it is. It's not like it would have made that much of a difference, really.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Not an impressive transition.

Actually put my speed laces in my shoes, for one. At least attempt to run with my bike, for another.
Run
  • 35m 15s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, honestly, I was pleased with this pace. That's pretty sad, I know, but it's true. This was a whole lot of run a few, walk a few, run a few, walk a few. So I was fully expecting to see something in the 13:00 min/mile range for this. The PF foot was already angry before I even got off the bike, so I just ran until it hurt too much, then walked until it subsided. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Foot transplant.
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished, I quickly grabbed some water and a piece of watermelon. I knew my sister was still out on the run and probably having a tough go of it, so a friend of mine from the kettlebell gym and I backtracked on the course until we found her. (Bonus Points for me for having to traverse that ravine AGAIN! I think that should count for about five minutes off my race time. :) We found her and trotted back in with her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual list of suspects: lack of training, PF foot, weight. Nothing new to report here. Although I do weigh less now than at this time last summer, and am slowly but surely still dropping.

Event comments:

This was a pretty humbling race from a results standpoint, but really, it is what I expected based on training. Honestly, the fact that I even went and looked at the results and recorded them is progress. Last year I didn't do that for any of my races because I didn't want to see them. :)

This is a very fun race. Race organizers are cool, laid back, and funny. Lots of volunteers. Very casual atmosphere. I really like it. If it weren't for that *&^%$#$&% hill coming up from the lake to transition, it might be in the running for my favorite course. :)

Last updated: 2011-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:19 | 600 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 37/147
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Pro Motion
Course: The standard out, across, and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:02:58 | 15 miles | 14.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 122/14
Overall: 10/147
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: This is a nice course with a couple of decent hills, but not bad at all.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:15 | 03 miles | 11m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 143/147
Performance: Average
Course: Trail run through Camp St Croix. There is a big ravine near the start/finish (pass through there twice), but other than that, pretty standard trails.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-26 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Croixathlon

2011-06-26 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3567597

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Croixathlon
Way to go Kelly! Love to see such a great positive attitude. Hope to see you at HOLT this year.
2011-06-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3567773

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Nice job!  I am glad to see you had so many positive things happen.  You're a nice sister for backtracking on the course Congrats on the weight loss too!
2011-06-27 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3567597

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

You went back to cheer on your sister! Now that defines nice. Of course I knew that about you. 

Keep moving one step forward and you'll get to your goal - I'm walking the same path.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Croixathlon Rss Feed