United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 50s
Overall Rank = 23/293
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:00 and got my gear ready. Had a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of orange juice and was pretty full. Took off about 6:50 and got there at 7:10. The line for packet pickup was pretty long and took awhile.
Event warmup:

Took a gel at 7:45 and then ran 0.75 mile EZ with strides to race pace. The 5K went off first at 8:00 and then we went 5 minutes later.
Run
  • 1h 00m 50s
  • 9.33 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I went off at the front and planned to run a 6:20 first mile and then settle in. I clicked the first off at 6:18 and there is a little climb in that first mile and then there is a long gradual downhill to a flat section where I ticked off 6:19 in the second mile. I was feeling good but knew I was not in that good of shape to sustain that and reeled myself back in to 6:30s. At mile 3 there is another long gradual uphill out to lake michigan that is pretty tough before a downhill and flat section along the lake. The weather was perfect with little wind and sunshine. I was taking fluids at each aid station and then the last half was pouring water on my head to cool off. The volunteers were great and there were alot of them. This course is really beautiful and cannot believe I never signed up for this race before. At the turnaround at Lake Michigan I was starting to feel the pain of the effort. I was now having trouble running at 6:30 pace and the hill off the beach was tough at that point. About mile 6 there is a downhill to a flat section and I got into a little groove on miles 7-8 and thought I might be able to hold on. The last couple miles I just buried my head and focused on keeping pace. The fans were on the course for the last half mile and then helped get me to the finish line. I turned the corner into the chute and saw 1:00:45 on the clock and knew I was going to hit my goal. 1:00:50!

Mile Splits:
Mile1: 6:18
MIle2: 6:19
Mile3: 6:32
Mile4: 6:36
Mile5: 6:33
Mile6: 6:43
Mile7: 6:33
Mile8: 6:39
Mile9: 6:33
9.35: (6:12 pace)

Excellent course and support!
What would you do differently?:

I probaby went out a little bit too hard in the first 2 miles but ultimately I got to my time goal of under 1:01:00. The course has a couple tough hills at miles 4-6 that hurt a bit but was able to sustain pace pretty well. I think the 6:43 and 6:39 mile times were because I went out too fast. Probably shoot for more of an even split in future races at this distance and above.
Post race
Warm down:

Rehydrated and chatted with my parents and other friend for awhile. It took them awhile to get results up. I planning on just taking off right away but when I saw I was 1st AG I decided to stay becuase the hardware was a nice plaque.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough long endurance runs. I have been doing alot of 6-9 mile runs but not alot above that which is mainly due to time constraints.

Event comments:

I made the front page of the sports section...sweet!

Tons of volunteers and plenty of aid stations.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:50 | 9.33 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 23/293
Performance: Good
Course: Scenic course along Muskegon Lake and Lake Michigan with rolling hills - great course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-26 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Chronicle Seaway Run 15K

2011-06-27 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3567945

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Chronicle Seaway Run 15K
Great race, Ryan! AG win and top-25 OA! Quality training is paying some sweet dividends for you this season. And a huge pic in the paper to boot. That's one helluva great weekend.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chronicle Seaway Run 15K Rss Feed