Ragnar Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 30h 33m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Relay Men
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pile into a van thursday night and head up to Logan. Crash at one of the team member's relatives house for the night. Wake up early for a 5:30 am start (that ended up being 6:30 am because we were late)
Event warmup:

Light stretching, staying warm. Once again, piling into the van for the first of round of three rounds total. I was runner 6 this time (Van 1).
Run
  • 30h 33m 17s
  • 192 miles
  • 09m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Pushed pretty good on my first leg. Tight piriformis and back pains during and after my first leg unfortunately made me take it easy on my second leg. After I made it through my second leg just fine, I opened it back up for 5k (as much as I could) to get another sub-eight run).
What would you do differently?:

Stretch better, and better prepare physically and mentally for the event. Although, all things considered, I feel pretty good about what I did.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, relaxing. My wife came and picked me up at the finish (Park City High School) and we headed back to the cabin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore, painful muscles and the inability to run hills effectively slowed me down. I need to train hills more, and alot more seriously if I'm going to be real competitive. I will say that my hill training this year has helped my overall run strength quite a bit though, so I don't feel bad.

Event comments:

Awesome tour of the Wasatch Back by foot, and a great excuse to hang out in a van with a bunch of guys/gals. Not to mention a great way to get some training in. Will definitely be back next year!

Last updated: 2011-06-27 12:00 AM
Running
30:33:17 | 192 miles | 09m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Leg 6: 6.9 mi. A slight uphill of 3-5% grade for about 2 mi, followed by about 5 miles of downhill. Fast run. Logged 43 kills. Averaged 7:41/mi pace. Leg 18: 8.3 mi. Climb to East Canyon Reservoir from Morgan valley. Rolling hills with lots of short climbs, and then some very steep climbs at the end. 8:49/mi pace. about 20 kills on this run; passed by 2 others. Drove to a hotel in Kimball Junction (Park City) to catch some zzzs while Van 2 ran their 40+ mi overnight. Arrived at around 10 pm. Was pretty nice. Shared the hide-a-bed with another team member in my sleeping bag. Woke up at 2 am and headed out for the next leg. Leg 30: 3.1 mi. Nice mostly flat 5K run through Heber. First 1.5 was slightly uphill, with the last half being very slightly downhill. Averaged 7:43/mi pace - started off feeling pretty sore, but once I was warmed up and worked into it, I felt great! Only 1 kill on this run (there was only 1 kill to get ;)) Went back to the hotel to wait for Van 2 to finish. Had some breakfast (Bacon and Eggs, cheesy hashbrowns, waffles, biscuits. It was pretty good. Then went to the hot tub and pool for a brief soak. Felt great! Headed over to the finish line and ran through together with Van 1/Van 2 around 1 pm.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes