General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sunriver, Oregon
United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 06m 34s
Overall Rank = 181/446
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/58
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, ate breakfast, loaded up and went to T2 and then coffee and to T1.
Event warmup:

Was able to get into the water 4 minutes before start. Swam a bit and worked on getting water in my suit and face in water. Wasn't too cold.
Swim
  • 39m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nice swim. Stayed steady and focused on going straight and keeping my balance. No real traffic or flow problems. No one going straight to draft off of but felt really comfortable. I was worried about cold but didn't have any problems.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't get as much swimming during this past month and so would prefer to come in a bit more confident.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Decent transition. Didn't wear socks and so it was a bit faster.

The wetsuit stuck on both my watch and timing chip. Need to work on that.
Bike
  • 3h 10m 5s
  • 56.3 miles
  • 17.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode strong but not blistering. The hills are tough and with a 11-18 gearing in the back it was okay but missed my compact from last year. There was no wind on the climb and then some on the descent. Still got up to 45 MPH on the down hill. Averaged 25.5 mph on last 19 mph which is the downhill section.

Enjoyed the run. Need to get more power in the legs for the killer climbs. Would have been a bit faster without a porta john stop but really needed it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

This is a different T2 arrangement than last year. The climb from bike to T2 seemed long and steep and the mat to start the run is little past the exit. It also was really rough and slanted for the fist bit of the run.

No changes
Run
  • 2h 13m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Couldn't have asked for a better start to the run. Legs were comfortable and I felt fresh. About mile 8 (about 1 hour) I started to feel some pain on the right side of my right knee. I shut things down and just walked,ran to the finish so that I wouldn't hurt my training or Vineman on July 30

I think I shouldn't have run the 5K last weekend and 2 HIM in two weeks may be a bit too much.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs and kisses from my girls, food and walking. In the evening I elevated my legs and used the foam roller.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ability to keep my knee from hurting.

Event comments:

This is an amazing race venue and is run very nice. The pre and post race atmosphere is excellent and my whole family raced this weekend.

I think WTC(M-dot) could learn a lot from this race as far as putting on a great race experience. Can't wait for next year.

Last updated: 2011-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/58
Overall: 191/446
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Large square with one additional buoy between large buoys. Start is a bit weird with wading and then starting parallel to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:10:05 | 56.3 miles | 17.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/58
Overall: 194/446
Performance: Average
The bike is actually a bit longer than this. More like 57 miles
Wind: Some
Course: Nice single loop course which I think is one of the prettiest roads I've ever bikes. Surface is decent, there wasn't too much congestion and the roads were clean and well marked.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:13:10 | 13.1 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/58
Overall: 252/446
Performance: Below average
Course: Single loop on bike trail. There is quite a bit of local traffic but people are courteous. Aid stations about every mile with water, ice, gels, and drink.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-27 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon

2011-06-29 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3569179

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon
Excellent racing! You are a HIM machine. WTG. I hear Vineman is a spectacular course, have fun down there. Yep next year i'm staying for the post-event festivities - amazing family friendly atmosphere. I wish I had known about all the other events, didn't research enough, otherwise would have had my partner racing 5/10k as well. Next time. Go man go!
2011-06-30 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3573570

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really looking forward to Vineman.

This event really does have a lot going on we have a huge group of us that are participating in multiple events. It really makes for some fun conversations because everyone has a story when everyone is racing! Look forward to meeting you next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed