Canada
TriSport Canada
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 223/270
Age Group = W40-45
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

Up 4:30am to be arrive in Hunstville. Banana and PB on English Muffin, bottle gatorade. Race well organized. Good bike spot in Transition Area.
Event warmup:

None really.
Swim
  • 54m 58s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Disappointing, but not unexpected after one open water swim practice. Not sure why I am one of the lucky few that a wet suit doesn't help me swim! Really bad at swimming in a straight line, and right arm dominance really prevelant when wearing a wetsuit. Crazy, likely swam 2.5K !! Generally a good swimmer in the pool. Something to work on!
What would you do differently?:

More practice in open water, sight better, and figure out what I am doing differently when I have on my wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Good transition, except last minute decision to put on long sleeve bike top due to temperature. Very tough to wriggle into!
Bike
  • 2h 08m
  • 55 kms
  • 25.78 km/hr
Comments:

Really enjoyed the bike ride, some challenging hills, but happy with my performance. Dealt well with the gear changing, and hills given my low opportunity to train on hills. Chain fell off once, surprising, but able to get it back on pretty quick. 2nd half, bike creeky in the crank area - need to get this checked out - glad everything held together! Roads rough in some spots, especially due to the last minute route change, but few cars,and beautiful scenery.

Push a little harder, but was really uncertain about the run to come!
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Good quick transition. Just stopped to get unclipped, without incident. Very new to bike shoes and didn't want to wipe out.

Not much.
Run
  • 1h 20m
  • 13 kms
  • 06m 09s  min/km
Comments:

Happy with the run. Started out faster than my planned pace, but slowly fell behind with each extra K. But was happy with how I faired on the hills and how well I felt. Sore legs, but cardio-wise felt really good. Picked it up more closer to the end once I knew I could finish. Ran the whole time. Finished strong, and happy with that. Running is not my strong point, so surprised to see better placement in my age group than swim and bike - but always great to have something to work on!

Pick up the pace a bit, and a bit earlier on.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk to car, and drive 6 hours home. Not ideal!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor swim, but just kept pluging along,and tried to stay positive. In the big scheme of things, how many people really go out and swim 2K (then follow it up with a long bike and run in the hills?) As a new comer to the sport, and generally uninterested in "sports" through my life thus far, so very happy just to be able to finish this!

Event comments:

Really a great race. I don't have much to compare to, but loved the challenge, loved the scenery, and happy to be able to take part! Hat's off to all the participants, especially the 79 year old fellow who was so inspirational.
Oh yeah, just a funny note - sure wish there were cookies left for us slower folks. I have been in 2 Tri's so far, and both times I was too slow for the cookies after the race! If you every volunteer for a race, would be great to save some of the good treats for the slower folks! :) Guess this is another motivational factor to try to get faster!

Last updated: 2011-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:58 | 2000 meters | 02m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/18
Overall: 256/270
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Fairy Lake and Muskoka River. Somewhat chilly, but not as cold as expected.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:08:00 | 55 kms | 25.78 km/hr
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 226/270
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful ride. Gorgeous area. Very hilly (especially for someone who lives in an area where I can ride 60K without changing a gear it is so flat!!)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:20:00 | 13 kms | 06m 09s  min/km
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 208/270
Course: For me seemed really hilly, but again sure this is just due to my inability to train on hills. A little worried about the 4 out and backs and 2 loops - thought it would be confusing, but it was all well marked, and covered some nice area. Some hills, some flat, some gravel/worn ashfault, some smooth ashfault. Overall quite liked the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes