General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie- Chicago Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-27 1:18 PM

User image

Subject: Newbie- Chicago
Hi every one. I will be taking part in my first triathlon in 2011 Chicago Triathlon. I signed up for the international competition, so yikes! Since this is my first time, I have tons of questions like if I am bring my cleats and running shoes, where am I to put them during the event? I am super excited to be doing this and quite nervous as well. Also, I will be in the Lady Clydesdale division in the 160-179lbs group. Hope to hear back from the vets and other newbies!

2011-06-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3569481

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Newbie- Chicago

Welcome to triathlon!

At the Chicago Tri, there will be a transition area. Before the race, find your transition spot (probably marked by wave start) and rack your bike. You also can lay down a towel and on that towel place your cleats and running shoes, extra water or sports drink, GUs, a visor, or anything else you might like during the race. When you are done swimming, you run to your transition area, there you can put on your bike stuff. When you are done biking, you run to the same transition spot, take off your cleats and put on anything else you may like for the run - like a hat or running shoes.

Hope that answers your question! Good luck!

2011-06-27 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3569495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Hi and welcome to the site. I posted on your other post about transitions so I won't answer again and it seems like Doxie has a very good response to your question.  The transition racks are marked by waves and you pick your spot anywhere along that rack. The transition area for the Chicago Tri is ridiculously large so make sure you find a landmark that you can pick out so you can easily find your spot once you come back in from the swim and bike.  Feel free to ask any other questions! Oh and definitely attend the free expo before the race (you pick up your # and packet here). You should attend the course talk (given numerous times) and that will help clarify specifics about the course and hopefully answer other questions you have.  I have done this race twice and I'm doingit again this year but I am by no means an expert but I can try to answer your questions.
2011-06-28 1:37 PM

User image

Thanks guys!!
2011-06-29 12:34 PM

User image

Again thank you for your advice. I am still having trouble navigating this site, so sorry for being repetitive. I have noticed that there is a bunch of accessories and what not. My question is, what are the essential things needed for a tri?

Thanks!

2011-06-29 2:23 PM

Essentials?

Goggles, swimsuit, bicycle, helmet, running shoes

Most people wear a triathlon specific top and bottom that you wear throughout the race.  A wetsuit is recommended, but not needed.

Edited by Rooney 2011-06-29 2:25 PM

2011-06-29 2:58 PM

New user

I'll see you there.  I am also doing the OLY distance.

This will be my third year doing it, so I am by no means an expert.  I don't do the tri specific shirt and shorts, because of budget, on the run and bike, I wear normal mesh shorts and a sleeveless shirt (if it'll be a hot day)

Good luck with your training

2011-06-29 8:29 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

they have wet suits you can rent so you do not even have to buy it though its not that many rentals until it pays for itself.   Its a fun race.  I thinking about doing it again this year but holding back for some reason.

2011-07-05 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3573386

User image

dnavarro82 - 2011-06-29 2:58 PM

I'll see you there.  I am also doing the OLY distance.

This will be my third year doing it, so I am by no means an expert.  I don't do the tri specific shirt and shorts, because of budget, on the run and bike, I wear normal mesh shorts and a sleeveless shirt (if it'll be a hot day)

Good luck with your training

Thank you guys!  See you there!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie- Chicago Rss Feed