General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training group? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-27 5:04 PM

User image

Bountiful UTAH
Subject: Training group?
I am not sure how close knit the Utah triathletes are here, but was wondering if anyone would be interested in training?

I live in Bountiful

Monday and Wednesday mornings I run before work. In the evenings I work out at golds gym (upper body)

I recently joined a swim team that meets tuesday and thursday to swim Fairmount in the evenings. I try to get to the gym before the swimming and do my leg work out. But that usually doesn't happen.

Friday and Sunday are bike ride days. Friday after work and sunday when ever I can get out of the house. No lifting.

The second day of the run or bike ride are my long days where I actually try to put some miles in.

every other Saturday is race day usually and rest the other Saturday.

I am not rigid in my schedule and if someone wants to join me I don't mind mixing it up and riding or running after work. Or you are more than welcome to join me for any part of my work out. Currently Pandora is my partner for most everything.

I just read through this and it sounds like I train all the time. I have only done 2 triathlons and started this full schedule 2 weeks ago. (Between tri 1 and 2) I have been lifting for about 6 months and running and biking a bit when the weather started to warm up. I really don't have any idea how to train just trying to figure out what works with my body. I am not in it to win it, just do better than I did the race before.

Edited by medamullet 2011-06-27 5:15 PM

2011-06-28 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3569887

New user
Utah
Subject: RE: Training group?

I am also in Bountiful but it looks like our schedules are exactly opposite.  When you run, I swim.  When you rest, I ride.  I usually do all my runs at work on my lunch break. 

I personally like training alone most of the time, but wouldn't mind training with someone as long as we were comparable in speed.  I don't want anyone to have to wait for me and vice versa. 

How long are your long bike rides?  How far do you usually go? 

2011-06-28 3:52 PM

User image

Bountiful UTAH
I am probably pretty slow. I have only been riding a dozen times this year at most. 2 of which were actual races. I ride about 30 miles or so on my longer days. Honestly I am easy like a sunday morning and am up for any kind of ride or run.
2011-06-28 10:28 PM

User image

Master
Utah
What paces do you run and bike? I run about a 10:30-ish, bike about 14-16 mph average. trying to increase both of those, but that's hard to do without consistency. (which is my downfall, repeatedly). I like to go run the Pipeline Trail on Monday evenings. I usually meet a couple friends and we carpool up Millcreek canyon, run 45 minutes out, then turn around and meet back at the car to carpool back down. You should come join us. Usually meet around 6:00-6:30, depending on the week and who's going. Who's in?
2011-06-29 10:17 AM

User image

Bountiful UTAH
That sounds fun. I could lift before work and meet up with you guys in the evening for sure. I usually run from my house down (or up) Davis Blvd. Lots of hills in Bountiful they kick my . I always feel I am running so fast until I get home and look at my GPS logger ap and I suck oh well like you said consistency will prevail. I ride either on the legacy parkway or Bountiful Blvd depending on if it's before work or after work I am riding. I like the parkway because there aren’t any lights so it’s a bit easier to maintain the same pace. When I practice my transitions from bike to run I do that on the parkway. Ride 6 miles and get off and run 1.5.
2011-06-29 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Utah
So how long does it take you to ride 6 miles? And what speeds are you running? It helps to know. I like the parkway trail, though I don't make it out there very often. I think the last time I rode it (last sumer) I kept hitting grasshoppers. By the end of the ride my friends were calling me the grasshopper killer. Apparently I even stunned quite a few by hitting them with my enormous stature (haha, I'm just over 5 feet tall). 

2011-06-30 7:58 AM

User image

Bountiful UTAH
my last triathlon I averaged 20mph for the bike ride and 8.5 minutes per mile. My goal is to get a tri done in less than an hour, which puts me averaging around 23 mph and 6.25 minute per mile. I currently run about the 7.5 to 8.5 minute per mile pace when I run in the morning. On the parkway I can ride at a 20mph with some effort for 20+ miles but usually don' tride that fast. I am a long way off from my goals but am working towards them. My wife rides at the same pace as you and we ride together atleast once a week. I am honestly easy as a Sunday morning so my speed or lack of speed really doesn't matter much. I figure just runnign or being onmy bike riding will make me better regardless.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training group? Rss Feed