AA Sports, Ltd.
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 40m 53s
Overall Rank = 380/504
Age Group = Athena > 40
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Organized everything the night before and woke up at 5:15. Got the camp stove going and made myself a cup of coffee and a bagel w/ neufchatel. I got a banana out too, but forgot to eat it. Grabbed my gel flask and Gatorade from the cooler and filled my aero bottle with 1 tab of Nuun and water. Headed over to T1 on the opposite side of the campground at 6 (oops was early, but they let me set up anyway). Realized setting up T1 that I forgot my chip strap, so headed back to camp to retrieve it. Then I had to drive down to Sunriver (~20 miles away) to park the car and set up T2. On the way down I drove the bike course so I had a good mental picture of where to push and where to hold back. Arrived at T2 and the cafe did it's magic - I known you know what I mean. Realized at T2 that I didn't have my Garmin in the bag - looks like it'll be running partially blind time! Once set up I got on the bus to head back to the Reservoir. Point to points are such a PITA, especially at 6am under fueled with cafe.
Event warmup:

Arrived at T1, hit the loos once again, then glided, sunscreened, and got my suit on. Went for a quick swim out to the first buoy and back. Cold, but not too bad. Forgot my pre-race gel so took some sips of nuun, got in the line-up and just went for it.
Swim
  • 30m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Large wave with males and females 25-29, athenas, clydesdales, and relays. I started mid pack direct in line with first buoy about 3 ppl back from front. At horn waited til the first people took off then went for it. Had lots of problems breathing in the froth, but tried to stay calm and swim it out. Lots of swimming over legs, arms flailing, etc. Craziest start in a long time. I just kept slow and steady til the first buoy, getting my breathing under control. By then things had calmed down and I picked up the pace and began picking off people in the wave, and catching other waves. Rounded the second buoy and was drafting behind someone for a bit, then they turned over all of a sudden to backstroke and kicked me in the jaw. Discombobulated me for a few seconds, but I kept going and fortunately didn't lose goggles. Then a short time later another person stopped to float upright to the left of me and I whacked them in the head during my stroke. Whoops. Sorry. Sighting, swimming, and rounding buoys was great. Felt like I could've gone a bit faster overall, but didn't catch any good drafts to speak of. Pretty good swim given the recent back problems and lack of swimming. Could definitely feel the water temp on my hands and feet by the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Next time position more to the outside (which I usually do), even if it means swimming a little farther. Getting caught in the froth becomes a mental challenge not needed so early in the race. Dunno what to do about people who randomly stop in the middle of the race or change strokes, it's frustrating, but I know people have lots of different issues during the swim...
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I had no problems exiting the water and hauling into transition. I didn't start stripping til I got to the bike since it was a fairly short straight line to my rack. I was out of the wetsuit lickity split (i love the new suit!), shoes and helmet went on, tubes in my back pocket. Had to put the wetsuit into a plastic bag and tie it up and then I was off. No socks.

Get that seat bag, ya know like before my next race! Other than that hustle hustle.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 11s
  • 28 miles
  • 16.28 mile/hr
Comments:

First 2 miles I was huffing like crazy, with a false flat and a couple good rollers it was all I could do to keep breathing - though looking back at my HR it wasn't nearly as high as it felt (altitude?). Strategy was to take it as it rolled for the first 12. My right foot was half asleep - I don't know if it was from the cold of the lake or my shoe was too tight, didn't feel normal til the other side of the hill. Lots of people were passing me on the front side. At mile 12 the hill started. I was REALLY glad I did that big hill ride the Tuesday before the race, because this hill felt like nothing comparatively. Managed to pass a couple folks up the hill, and didn't get passed by too many. I'm glad I had a chance to drive the course before the race, I knew exactly what to do for the ride. At the top I put it in gear and flew for the next four miles >30mph. FUN! No one passed me again until 3 miles near T2.

I don't know why, but I was having a hard time holding aero this race. I need to consider getting refit on the bike. My comfort level on the bike has decreased significantly lately. I'm even wondering if I should switch to road configuration.

Where I went wrong here, was nutrition/hydration wise. I drank less than 1/2 bottle of diluted nuun and < 1/2 bottle of gatorade, and had just under half of my gel flask ~2 gels. We went hiking the day before and got really dehydrated in the dry heat and altitude. I tried to rehydrate as much as possible, but had bad legs aches/cramps for a while on Saturday night. I should have been sucking down water/nuun/gatorade from the get go. Then the hill exertion and dry wind from flying down the hill just sucked me dry - gross feeling. Should have finished both bottles on the bike, and tried to get another half gel down.

HYDRATE! And stick to nutrition plan.
Otherwise I felt like it was a pretty good effort on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

T2 should have taken 1:30 max. I felt like I was lounging in there, plus I was having major problems getting my feet in my shoes. Forgot to put body glide in the shoes!

GLIDE the shoes.
Run
  • 1h 21m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of transition my calfs were cramping a little, fortunately that subsided about 1/2 mile in. Miles 1-3 felt pretty good, I was going strong (maybe a little too strong). If I had the Garmin I would have kept things in check coming out of T2. Was running, and walking aid stations where I was dumping water on my head and taking electrolyte. Was having some GI issues the first half - pineapple burps again (maybe need to dilute gels even more or take with more water), and some gas that was uncomfortable. Fortunately both went away. At mile 4 the path got pretty rolly, every little uphill was kicking my arse. I walked a couple of the more significant rolls. I played hopscotch with a mostly walk/runner duathlete for a bit and we chatted, then I got a bit of a third wind and took off around 5.5. I was getting hot and was so ready for the race to be over. Big supportive crowds at the end got my stride up, and I huffed it in for the finish.

Not start off so fast. And keep the fluids and cooling water on the head going strong at every opportunity.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, immediately felt really woozy so I made a beeline for electrolytes and watermelon. Walked around for a long time to shake off the too dry feeling. Sat for a bit with a couple of clif bar bites and then took off, it was 12:30 and I had to get back to the campsite for check out - wished we could have stayed another night as the expo and post-race events looked great.

Had to walk back over to T2 - uggh! Put on compression socks and drove back to camp to pack up, eat lunch, drink fluids like mad and drive home.

If I had been able to stay I could have gotten 3rd place medal. :( Kinda ticked that I missed 2nd by 43 seconds. Boo!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydration and weight. Quite simply. I have actually been feeling really good on the run well into the 3rd week of marathon training, but combination of a lot of different factors made me feel poopie on the run. I think I need to seriously consider a short run/walk strategy for Door Half (4:1 maybe).

Event comments:

At first I thought that my performance for the race wasn't that great. Then I looked at the results and I was solidly MOP for 40-44. So I'll take that. No niggling pains this race, which was good, just have to stay on top of hydration with the dryness and altitude.

Every discipline could have been faster, but race and learn! If I do the race next year - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, and maybe sign up for 40-44 instead of Athena for better swim position.

Absolutely stellar location and race event. I will be back - and lighter hopefully!

Last updated: 2011-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:42 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 171/504
Performance: Average
Suit: T1 Pullover and Bibjohn
Course: 3 buoy diamond, clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:43:11 | 28 miles | 16.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 383/504
Performance: Average
From Powertap: Time: 1:43:39 Dist: 29 Cals: 934 AvgSpeed: 16.8 AvgPower: 150 AvgHR: 152 AvgCadence: 74
Wind: Little
Course: Elevation at race site is 4100 feet. Rollers to mile 12, climb from 12-13, more rollers to mile 16, then mostly downhill and flat to end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 74
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:21:20 | 06.21 miles | 13m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 474/504
Performance:
Lap splits from watch: From watch: Mile 1: 11:43 Mile 2: 12:26 Mile 3: 12:42 Mile 4: 13:17 Mile 5: 13:57 Mile 6: 14:03 Mile 6.2: 3:22
Course: Rolling path within Sunriver village. Great course, lots of crowd support.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-27 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon

2011-06-28 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3570102

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon
Nice job - the post race area really is a lot of fun, too bad you didn't stay for the awards...maybe next year.

My whole family did different races and it was fun to see how well they use that central finish areas for so many races while really taking care of people.
2011-06-28 3:39 PM

User image

Master
PNW

Awesome job!  BIG Kudos to you for surviving that swim start - we were in awe up on the shore and very thankful that I didn't register for Athena this time!

I was a tad disappointed with my times as well, but considering this was at altitude, we should both be proud.   Let's kick it next year, shall we??

2011-06-28 6:56 PM

User image

Congrats on a nice race and your third place finish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed