Woodlake
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 22s
Overall Rank = 60/186
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/20
Pre-race routine:

The race was 30 minutes from the house so we left around 5:30AM. We had to get there by 6 so we could set up the Tri-Warrior club spot. The transition was first come first serve. I found a spot and set up transition.
Event warmup:

I really didnt warm up too much. Some stretching was about it.
Swim
  • 11m 21s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started the swim hard. After a hundred yards or so I realized that I started too hard and was having a hard time breathing. I gave up my typical bilateral breathing and started right side breathing. I did this until I caught my breath.
What would you do differently?:

I shouldnt have started out so fast, but after all, it was a race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I had a slower transition time than last year. I cant recall any issues that slowed me down. It had to be the wetsuit.

I would use some sort of lube so the wetsuit comes off easier.
Bike
  • 51m 19s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I did a good job on the bike. It was tough going up the hills but I was able to maintain at least 90rpm. I saw a lot of people I knew so it was fun. There was a guy with an army bike shirt on. I wasnt trying to draft off him but couldnt seem to get past him. We passed each other a few times during the ride. Coming to the transition I tried to do a fancy feet on shoes. I made the mistake of not slowing down enough. I was able to get the left foot out and on the shoe. I made another mistake. I held the left aerobar while trying to get my right foot out. The bike took a hard left and I was off the course and in the woods. I crashed in the trees. I heard people yelling and coming to my aid. I did a body check and realized I wasnt dead or broken. I got up and put my chain back on the bike. I said I was ok to continue and jumped back on the bike. I finished the bike leg but with my left calf seized up.

no fancy dismounts without practice.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

I was a little slow because my calf was hard as a rock. I was afraid I was going to tear something. I was about 22 seconds slower than last year.
Run
  • 23m 6s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldnt go all out on the run. My left calf had seized up on the bike crash. I felt if I went to hard I would tear something. I still felt that I was going at a decent pace.
Post race
Warm down:

4 hot dogs and beer

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lets see. Oh yes, a huge freakin crash!

Event comments:

They did a great job with the post events. They had door prizes and gave away some nice gifts. I didnt win anything though. They let us have all the hot dogs we wanted so I had 4 of the things.

Last updated: 2011-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:21 | 600 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 48/186
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: swam out the left side of the boueys 300 yards, turned right sie and headed to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:19 | 17.2 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 51/186
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly. Some of the course had sand on it that was washed in from the storm the night before. There were some rough areas and speed bumps in the community areas. For the most part the bike was hard up hill and fun down hill. My max speed got to 37.5mph
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:06 | 03 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 90/186
Performance: Average
Course: ran into the woods on a dirt trail. After a little run in woods we came back out on the hard ball and ran out to another dirt area. I think it was a dam or levy. Then we ran back to the start line on the hardball. They had one water stop that was about a mile in. We were able to hit it coming and going.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes