General Discussion Race Reports! » Welland Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Welland Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Welland, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 00m 11s
Overall Rank = 50/105
Age Group = Women 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Hubby drove. Mcd coffee and blueberry muffin as usual.
Event warmup:

5min swim to get used to water temp and pressure. Water feels colder than last 2 wks at Woodstock and Leamington.
Swim
  • 44m 52s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

First mass start for me. More manageable than expected, esp after hearing all the horror stories about Guelph Oly.

Wetsuit was cutting into my neck 400m into my swim, hurt everytime I breathe. Then both calves started cramping with 400m to go, have to flex ankle at right angle, esp right one, to keep cramp from getting out of control.

Overall, this is a good swim for me. Finally MOP instead of BOP, even at such high level of competition. Probably could be a min faster if the wetsuit was not cutting my neck and I could kick properly w/o the calves cramping.
What would you do differently?:

Double check to make sure wetsuit velcro flap is properly closed. I think the wetsuit was cutting into my neck because the velco flap wasn't properly closed. It has happened one other time. 24hr later, it looked very bad, with 1st layer of skin all gone. OUCH!
Transition 1
  • 05m 49s
Comments:

Includes a 2:28 425m run up to T1. Suit stuck to heels as usual, had to fight with wetsuit, so slower than my peers by a min, as usual.

Wish I know. Bodyglide - useless, as usual.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 28s
  • 90 kms
  • 31.68 km/hr
Comments:

Settled into a good pace. Was exchanging positions with this girl, going ~32kph, staying out of the draft zone of course. Then Garmin popped off the bike @~29k, where the road was kinda rough with cracks and small potholes. Had to get off bike, lay it down on the shoulder, and retraced to find it ~40ft away. Afterwards, didn't saw the girl until the last 1/2 hr on the bike. Probably lost ~a min or 2.

Was a gd decision to swap out bontrager saddle with heavier old gel saddle. 24hr later, just a little discomfort, not much saddle sore.

Another gd decsion was using my 10yr old Camelbak. Was able to drink a combination of water from the Camelbak and Gatorade mounted on the aerobar w/o coming off the aero position. Also ate 3 gels and did not have to use race provided hydration nor nutrition.

Overall, very happy with pace. Didn't think I can maintain this high HR for so long. Felt fresh as a daisy coming off the bike. 2nd AG!

Wonder if I should tape the Garmin with clear masking tape to my bike. Garmin has popped out once before.
Stretch out calves and glutes every 1/2 hr, and definitely last 15' of bike ride since course has little in terrain changes. Perhaps this could have prevented the cramps on the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

For some reason, got disoriented and couldn't find where I racked. Thought I was coming in the direction of the run in. Lost ~ a min. Then forgot to take advantage of the portalets at T2.

Remember where I rack.
Go to the portalet at T2.
Run
  • 2h 16m 44s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Calves started to cramp almost right away. Stretched and walked a lot. Probably walked more than run last 5k. Even walking was wobbly at times.

100m to finish line, if I could run, I probably could break 6hr. Susan came up behind and urged me to run together to break 6hr. But even walking was barely manageable and mostly unstable and so had to walk across the finish line.

I don't ever remember having such a bad run in a tri. In 14 yrs of tri-ing, this must be the first time my swim is better than my run.

Not sure where the cramping came from, although there was a little bit towards the last part of the swim. I think I drank enough and had enough calories and electrolytes, certainly ate and drank more than during long rides and runs when I never had cramping issues. Also relieved myself 3x afterwards and pee color looked gd. Never had any GI issues and felt fresh as a daisy coming off the bike. Not sure if an advil or a portalet break at T2 would have corrected everything. I never encountered this issue in training, not during bricks, long rides, long runs, nor on any runs after long rides.

Perhaps stretch out calves and glutes every 1/2 hr, and definitely last 15' of bike ride. This is a flat and fast course, not much change in terrain, and so was in same position for 3hrs and perhaps muscles got too tight. That's what Jason Verma, series technical director, thinks as well. I always stretch my neck and shoulders during my bike rides, but never the hamstrings and calves, perhaps I'll start doing that consistently.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a lot to ease the cramps. Got a massage. Washed the neck with some alcohol and water. OUCH, does it ever hurt.

Stayed overnight in Welland. Dinner at one of our fav restaurants in Vineland. Thought I'd sleep well after such a long race. But couldn't fall asleep at all. I wonder if it's all the sugars and caffene in the gels. Weird.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wetsuit cutting into my neck.
Garmin popping out of the bike.
Calves cramping on the swim and run.

Event comments:

My longest race, first ever half iron, and probably last. Very very pleased to finish at 6hr (6:00:11), could have easily been 15min faster if I have a half decent run. But factoring in the 2:28 425m run to T1, I'm sub 6! Yay!

This is a tough AG, I'm only 6/11. Susan finished ~same time, even younger at Women 45-49, she's 6/23. Go figure. But I'm so pleased with 2nd AG on the bike, considering the high level of competition.

Welland must be one of the fastest half iron course around, very pretty too. If you want to set a half iron PB, you'll want to do Welland. Me? I don't think I'll do such long distance races again though, just not for me.

Another great race organized by Multisport and John Salt, who did Aquabike today. And I was racking beside Jody Miller, race announcer for Multisport until this yr. She smoked the Women 45-49, winning at 5:21!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:52 | 2000 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 65/105
Performance: Average
Suit: Full sleeve Zoot
Course: Rectangular in Welland Canal
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:28 | 90 kms | 31.68 km/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 29/105
Performance: Good
Avg HR = 148, mostly Z4.
Wind: Some
Course: Flat and fast, except for a 1.3km construction stretch where we had to bike in the "centre coned lane" and some stretches where the road is rough with cracks and small potholes.
Road:  Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:16:44 | 13.11 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 74/105
Performance: Bad
Avg HR = 146, mostly Z3
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-27 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Welland Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2011-06-28 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3570131

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Welland Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
Great race Patricia!!  Congrats on completing your first HIM
2011-06-28 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

Congrats on finishing your first long distance Tri. A 6hr finish is very impressive, and the 32km/hr (2nd fastest) bike ride even more so.

2011-06-28 5:50 PM

User image

Expert
Ha!  you totally finished right after me.  I think you are even in some of my finish line photos   I finished in 5:59:28.  you could probably see me ahead of you for almost the entire run.  (I have a really crappy last 5 km too - I think they probably took my 40+ minutes).
2011-07-01 8:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-09 1:17 PM

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Totally awesome Patricia. You knocked the heck out of my HIM time a couple of years ago.  What's this about no more long distance no IM in the works

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Welland Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed