General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sunriver, Oregon
United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 49m 2s
Overall Rank = 313/446
Age Group = 40 plus Clydes
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Open Water Swim on Friday before the race. Bus out to Swim site. Set -up T2 before leaving on bus. Set-up T1 upon arrival.
Event warmup:

Short 100 - 150 yd swim to get use to the water temp. I forgot my wetsuit in my car and had to get off the bus run back to my vehicle and get it. Made it back in time for my bus time. Whew that would have been bad.
Swim
  • 40m 22s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Hard start. Felt tired going to the first bouy. Got to far to the inside and looked up and was all alone. Did not draft very well. Had to get centered in my mind fast. Got back on track the rest of the way. Took it bouy by bouy.
What would you do differently?:

Start to the inside instead of the outside and use the traffic to keep me in the group. Drifting to the right. A better time would have been about 4 minutes faster. Overall happy with my total time.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Took extra time to switch watches for the bike and run, put on arm warmers for the bike and had to put everything in a plastic bag before leaving T1 for transport back to T2.

Nothing. Not competed in this distance before so I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed to be comfortable on the ride given where we would be riding; up, up and up.
Bike
  • 3h 31m 29s
  • 58 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not a climber and carry some extra body weight with me. Slow and steady was the game of the day for me for the first 38 miles. Plan was to push hard on downhills to make up time on the remaining 20 miles but not enought to get my MPH up to a higher level.

Lose weight and be lighter.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Good T2. Pretty fast given the length of the dismount to the rack.

Nothing it was a good T2.
Run
  • 2h 29m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Very hard, tough and brutal run. Run and walk pretty much the whole second half of the run. Tried to keep cool by putting ice under my hat. Really helped. I took Hammer Endurolytes the whole race so I believe these helped a lot as I didn't have any cramping which I expected to have. Mainly just a very tough course for a first Half-Ironman Race.

I either need to get better conditioning on my bike or better at my run; probably a combination of both. I had some good Brick workouts but not that long. Would probably like to have had a couple of them at about 8-9 miles off of along bike. I had a decent bike and felt like I didn't over do it. It could have been conditioning or just a hard bike course that didn't suit me well (hilly), but hey that is what was dished out for the day so you deal with it. Would have liked to run a 10 min per mile pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to get a massage after but got there too late. I didn't do anything special but tried to hydrate and keep drinking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First Half-Iron Experience. Probably a course that didn't suit me well in that it was a very hilly bike and I was carrying some extra body weight.

Event comments:

Beautiful Bike Course in the Pacific Northwest. Climbing hills where there are 6-8 feet snow banks next to you along side the road.

Last updated: 2011-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:22 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 225/446
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Diamond shape clockwise swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:31:29 | 58 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 364/446
Wind: Some
Course: Point to point with significant climbing in the first 38 miles (2000 plus verticle feet of climbing; already at high elevation) and then 20 miles of mostly downhill or flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:29:52 | 13.1 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 350/446
Performance: Below average
Went out to fast, but recognized it quickly and tried to get to a slower planned pace of around 10:00 min/mile. Might still have been too fast to start. Not sure if it would have made any difference. I'd like to think so.
Course: Wide Bike paths around Sunriver Community. Lots of spectators cheering you on and plenty of water stations.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-27 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon

2011-06-28 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3570311

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon
Good job for your first HIM. It isn't an easy course because the bike takes so much and then the run seems eternal. Good that you caught your wetsuit before the bus left!

The swim was a bit hard to sight because there weren't that many buoys but also the center ones were wide for two legs. I noticed a lot of people creeping into the center of the course but also people that went way to wide the left.

Good luck next year!
2011-06-29 2:02 AM
in reply to: #3570311

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Congrats Brian!  That's a fantastic accomplishment, especially on a tough course (snow pack?  really?).  Enjoy your recovery and if I have one piece of advice, start aiming for something new fairly soon.  I really let things slide after my first... it is a big accomplishment, but the lifestyle is the more important one!  Again, well done!
2011-06-29 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3572217

User image

Expert
Salem

juneapple - 2011-06-29 12:02 AM Congrats Brian!  That's a fantastic accomplishment, especially on a tough course (snow pack?  really?).  Enjoy your recovery and if I have one piece of advice, start aiming for something new fairly soon.  I really let things slide after my first... it is a big accomplishment, but the lifestyle is the more important one!  Again, well done!

Thanks.  I am planning something for Sept.; probabaly an OLY at a new local event.  Going to try to maintain my fitness level or even drop some.  Lower the number of training hours some.  During the winter months and springl I am going to work on running longer and maybe do a Marathon in Spring 2012.  Would like to do an Ironman Distance event for my 50th.  Two years out.  Maybe IMCD.

Take care and thanks for checking in.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed