AA Sports, Ltd.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 7s
Overall Rank = 112/504
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at around 5:00 and got my gear packed into the car and headed over to T2 to setup my run transition. Got all setup and walked the transition once to visualize coming in. I then caught the shuttle down to T1. I ate a banana a cliff bar and an ensure on the way over. Was happy to see that I was able to get some food down this time because on my first race I was so nervous that I wasn't able to eat anything. I got my T1 all setup felt the water and then walked around a little trying to work out my nerves.
Event warmup:

I got in my wetsuit about 25 minutes before the start of the race and went for about a 5 minute swim to just get used to the water.
Swim
  • 35m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got in fairly good position for the start but that was where the good points ended for my swim. There was about 150 people in my wave and the start was a little rough. I never felt like I could get in a good rhythm and get moving. My sighting was horrible and I was all over the place. According to my 310XT I swam like an extra .15 miles out there.
What would you do differently?:

I need some more swim coaching desperately. If I can get my swim time down to even a 1:50 per 100 pace then I would be a lot more competitive.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Transition felt fairly slow but looking at my time I was about average. You had to put your wetsuit and swim cap in a bag and tie it shut before leaving transition so that took a little bit of time.

Work on smoothness
Bike
  • 1h 23m 14s
  • 28 miles
  • 20.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Really felt like I had a good ride. The climb wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and it was very motivating after having such a bad swim to pass so may people out there. I must have passed well over a 100 between the tri and the du-athletes on the course. Was able to eat two cliff gels and drink my full aero of water and a little bit of my heed. The last half of the bike was really fun and really fast hitting 40 mph for a little bit.

I think I can bike a little bit quicker then what I did. My legs actually felt fairly good my feet went numb though and stayed numb for the first two miles of the run or so. I need to figure out why they did that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Had on ok transition nothing stellar. I had a horrible rack though that had me run a long distance in my running shoes. Learning to get out of my shoes on the bike would make a big difference.

Learn to get out of my shoes on the bike. Smoothness.
Run
  • 50m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Feet were numb for almost the first two miles literally could barely feel them and had a fairly good cramp in my right calf. I walked the 4 aid stations and dumped water on my head. Had a hard time feeling like I could ever get in a good rhythm the altitude was definitely taking a little bit out of me. I also was getting very hot and my mouth was super dry by the time I would get to the next aid station. By the 5th mile my leg started to loosen up a little and I was able to start striding out a little. Had a good strong finish. My mile splits were 7:44, 8:13, 7:55, 8:12, 8:25, 7:36 and a 7:07 for the last .21 miles

Push the run harder. I was tired for sure but I definitely left a lot still out there.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in a cold shower that they had at the finish to get cooled down. Ate some food drank some water then walked around a little and stretched while waiting for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Elevation and weight. I loved getting to place in Clydesdale but I would love to lose another 20-25 lbs or so and get down to about 180-185 where I know I could be a lot faster.

Event comments:

Loved the race. A fun supportive crowd and would definitely do the race again.

Last updated: 2011-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:30 | 1640 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/20
Overall: 334/504
Performance: Bad
Suit: TYR Full Sleeve
Course: Square course with 3 turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:14 | 28 miles | 20.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 76/504
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The first 9 miles or so were rolling hills followed by about 2 miles of fairly good climb gaining about 500 feet then a few more rolling hills followed by the last 10 miles of all either downhill or flat. Total elevation gain was about 1000 feet but had an overall loss of elevation.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:06 | 06.21 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 87/504
Performance: Average
Course: gentle rolling hills along a running bike path that was about 10 feet wide or so
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-27 11:12 PM

User image

Subject: Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon

2011-06-28 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3570322

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon
Great job out there, you are killing the Clydes division. Can I have some of your run speed please? Just keep swim swim swimming it'll come.
2011-06-28 5:10 PM

User image

Master
PNW
Nice race!  I would also love some of your run speed.  Impressive!
2011-06-28 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Nice work - that is a great run time considering you had the cramp and walked aid stations. That also is a really good bike. Best of luck and come join the long course next year. You will get way over 40 miles per hour on the downhill.
2011-06-28 6:54 PM

User image

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Running is the only sport of the three that I have any experience before the beginning of the year in. My running experience was over 10 years ago while in high school but I guess it is my "strong" sport although I did finish better on the bike then the run this race.

I will defintely do the half at Pacific Crest at some point but I have actually signed up for Ironman CDA for 2012 and that is the same weekend as Pac Crest so my focus has now been moved to getting ready for a HIM at the end of Sept and then CDA in 2012.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed