General Discussion Race Reports! » North Olympic Discovery 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Olympic Discovery 1/2 Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Port Angeles, Washington
United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 330am and drove the 3.5 hours to race. Had a bagel wit pb & J and a protein shake for breakfast followed by water. Driving to the race the morning of was a big mistake.
Event warmup:

Stretching.
Run
  • 3h 05m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

One of my worst runs ever. Time was horrifically slow. I didn't train properly which was completely my fault. I had run a Half Mary before and figured it would be no big deal. I was wrong. One thing I had no control over was the weather. Training for this in Portland and Seattle consisted of temps in the 50's. Race day temp was about 75 and felt like 85. I was beat by mile 7 and pretty much done by mile 10. The last mile was mostly a walk with some jogging thrown in. Far from my best effort but certainly a wake up call.
What would you do differently?:

Never ever drive almost 4 hours to an event the morning in happens. I will always plan to go the night before. Must train better. In the 5 months since I had moved to Seattle my training had slowed way down and I had gained weight. This made this event pure torture. All in, very poor planning, performance and effort on my part.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for about 15 minutes then got a post race massage. Started to cramp when I jogged the last 600 yds and by the time I got to the massage tent both calves were pissed off and me and my feet were not terribly pleased either. Without that massage I'm not sure I could have walked all of the way to the car let alone get out of it after driving 3.5 hrs home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor training, poor preparation mostly. Warm weather should have been nice but I wasn't prepared.

Event comments:

Course wasn't terribly difficult although it did have a few sections with some very deceptively steep hills. They were all very short but felt like they were going straight up. For me, they were mentally and physically tough. They had lots of drink stations along the way and they were all pretty well stocked and manned. The finish line events were a little bit lacking. They had a few snacks and lots of drinks though. Musical entertainment was by a group playing 70's hits, not a fan. The worst part was that they placed the massage area right next to the music stage so that you literally had to scream to talk the the staff, the masseuse or other racers. Made the experience far less pleasurable than it should have been. Would highly recommend getting better music and moving the massage tables further away from whatever band plays next year.

Last updated: 2011-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
03:05:26 | 13.1 miles | 14m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly followed the Olympic Discovery Trail from Sequim to Port Angeles. The last few miles were along the water.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-28 12:31 AM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR
Subject: North Olympic Discovery 1/2 Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Olympic Discovery 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed