Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Best Pricing For Tri Bikes in Southwestern Ontario Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-28 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Best Pricing For Tri Bikes in Southwestern Ontario

I'm looking at purchasing an entry level tri bike.  New.  The more I research on the net, the more confused I get.  The more salespeople I talk to, the more confused I get.    I need some help.  

My basic requirements: a new tri bike.  Not aluminum alloy.  Must be carbon composite. The least expensive as possible (obviously!)   

I've been looking at the cannondale slice 5, Trek 7.0, cervelo P2, Argon E112, and Specialized Transtition Comp.

So far the Cannondale Slice 5 I can get for $2299 + HST.  

Can anyone else recommend a dealer who can beat this price, or another model out there thats less expensive but falls in line with the rest of these bikes.  Is there a person/store out there that sells this or another line of tri bike thats cost wise better?  Pease remember.  I'm not going to the Olympics, I'm not an expert by any means on tri bikes, I'm just an average Joe looking to spend my money as frugally as possible...... 

2011-06-28 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3570881

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Best Pricing For Tri Bikes in Southwestern Ontario

For what it's worth - none of those listed strike me as entry level bikes.  All really good bikes, with some pedigree.

Couple of things to consider.  What body type are you - long body, shorter legs and arms or shorter torso, longer legs and arms.  Certain bikes are "taller" while others are "longer".

Also, you're obviously stuck on Carbon, just not sure why.  Some very good entry level bikes in Aluminum, and they would definitely save you some dollars.

The only issue with buying a bike at the moment is you pay top dollar.  If you have something that will last you this season then you can wait till fall and basically get the bike at almost dealer cost.  They just want to move bikes at that point, and going to bike shops directly or the Fall bike show in Toronto will offer you some good savings.

2011-06-28 11:12 AM

User image

Toronto, ON
I've been looking for a similar level bike for a while now, and I had my heart set on the Cervelo P2 for a while. But I went for a proper fitting on my road bike, and the guy doing it said that the Cervelo would be too long/low for my body type. He *could* make me fit it, but it would likely need a lot of changes (read requiring replacement of some fit-related parts) and wouldn't be optimal.

The great thing about getting a proper fitting done was that I had my specs down pat, so I can more or less choose a bike based on frame measurements and componentry.

In the same range I found the Quintana Roo Seduza. I'm not sure where to buy one, but late last year I saw they were clearing out 10 models in the 1700 range. Now the 11s are around 2100, which is still pretty decent. It's got mostly Ultegra components and comes with a compact crankset too.
2011-06-28 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3570974

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
GoFaster - 2011-06-27 11:54 AM

For what it's worth - none of those listed strike me as entry level bikes.  All really good bikes, with some pedigree.

Couple of things to consider.  What body type are you - long body, shorter legs and arms or shorter torso, longer legs and arms.  Certain bikes are "taller" while others are "longer".

Also, you're obviously stuck on Carbon, just not sure why.  Some very good entry level bikes in Aluminum, and they would definitely save you some dollars.

The only issue with buying a bike at the moment is you pay top dollar.  If you have something that will last you this season then you can wait till fall and basically get the bike at almost dealer cost.  They just want to move bikes at that point, and going to bike shops directly or the Fall bike show in Toronto will offer you some good savings.

6' 1" tall.  slender/med. build.  182lbs.   I"ve been told that aluminum is going the way of the blackberry, and carbon is dropping in price.  Aluminum will only carry you so far and in the future will have to goto Carbon anyways.  So I'd figure I'd save $1500 bucks and skip the aluminum stage.   Howver, balancing $$ with whats out there and the proper ride.....wow.

Any suggestions, or if anyone knows a good dealer who's consistently low...I'm all ears!

2011-06-28 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

I agree with Neil - the bikes you list are by no means entery level. These are all racing machines - many with some serious wins under their belts (i.e. Chrissie wellington won Kona IronMan World champinships on a P2 in 2008). You'll need to be an amazing athelete to 'outgrow' any of these bikes. Though they all will make a wonderful fisrt bike as well.

I'm not sure why your made your first point of not wanting aluminum and opting for Carbon fibre. I have ridden both (currently on a P2 Carbon) and to be honest I feel little difference between them. I actually prefer aluminum becasue its sturdier, repairable and costs less. 

If you are looking for a great entry level Tri bike, the best value (IMHO) is an aluminum Cervelo P1. At about $1500 you can get a bike that is 99% as fast as most of the $4000 fancy machines out there.

Good luck and have fun with your shopping.

2011-06-28 1:18 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Personally I lined myself up with a Felt S32 their entry level bike And I believe the msrp was 1599 or 1699. A comparable bike to the P1. Although the P1 had a few components on it that were better then the S32.

The S32 had a LOT of adustability in the Aero Bars. Not something you are going to get with the Cervelo. I had my heart set on a cervelo and lost out on a great used one. Personally I am glad I did now. Being able to get a proper bike fit and having all the adjustments made on my bike were GREAT and well worth it.

Watching the person next to me on a used Cervelo at the time. They were talking to him about having to buy different Aero Bars, different attack bars etc because there is no adjustment to them. So he managed to get a great deal but then had to sink about $400 in parts for his fit.

My friend I train with rides an older P2 and she always manages to finish in the top of her AG. I would say go adjustable and put more thought into improving the engine on the bike... HEHE.. That is what I am doing.. Saved me some money for other things too like a wetsuit.

2011-06-28 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3571043

User image

Elite
Ontario
TheCrownsOwn - 2011-06-28 12:26 PM
GoFaster - 2011-06-27 11:54 AM

6' 1" tall.  slender/med. build.  182lbs.   I"ve been told that aluminum is going the way of the blackberry, and carbon is dropping in price.  Aluminum will only carry you so far and in the future will have to goto Carbon anyways.  So I'd figure I'd save $1500 bucks and skip the aluminum stage.   Howver, balancing $$ with whats out there and the proper ride.....wow.

Any suggestions, or if anyone knows a good dealer who's consistently low...I'm all ears!

I'm afraid I don't know any dealer that is "low".  Most of the pricing is reasonably consistent although you can find deals sometimes.  I don't remember the name of the shop, but my training partner got a solid deal on an Orbea from a shop in Cambridge.

2011-06-28 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
As others say, make sure the bike is going to fit first.  For good deals, look for sales of previous years' models.
2011-06-28 6:00 PM

User image

Expert

I would look at "deals" from previous years as well.  Multisport zone in London has some 2010 bikes left (including a beautiful scott plasma contessa which is too small for me ).  D'ornellas in Toronto usually have a bunch of older models as well.  My first tri bike was from Brauns and it was a year old model - FWIW, I would recommend buying a tri bike from staff that are knowledgable in tri bikes - I wouldn't necessarily recommend brauns.

Why do you need for it to be new?  you can get some good deals on gently used bikes if you look hard enough.

2011-06-29 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

There is a good deal on Trek Equinox 7 locally.  $1400 new.

????Is this a good bike?  Entry level....and aluminum...

??

2011-06-29 7:10 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

If you're looking to be frugal (always a good idea) have you considered the used market?

Unfortunately, there are many people who get into tri's with the best of intentions who don't last in the sport and end up selling their steeds after a year or two at a considerable loss.

There are the usual places like Kijiji, Craigslist and eBay but the classified section on slowtwitch.com seems to be the most active place with some outstanding deals. The danger is you have to know what size you need before going this route.

2011-06-29 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I got my Felt tri bike (yay) on a great deal from Wheels of Bloor in toronto - it's actually local to me but i bought at the spring bike show. And even though usually the better deals are found in the fall.   I've talked to a few others who have gotten deals there as well.  They are more road bike focused and a higher end shop. 

2011-06-29 3:44 PM

I second Daffodil with Multisport Zone in London. Great group of guys and great selection of bikes. I was in there yesterday and they have a couple of last years Scotts and one felt I think. They also carry cervelo and argon 18.
2011-06-29 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3572290

User image

Elite
Ontario
TheCrownsOwn - 2011-06-29 7:44 AM

There is a good deal on Trek Equinox 7 locally.  $1400 new.

????Is this a good bike?  Entry level....and aluminum...

Yep, good bike.  This is simply an Alloy version of Trek's TT bike until they introduced their new super bikes - same base frame aerodynamics as the higher end carbon models.

I know everyone says it time and time again - but make sure it's the right size.  Saving dollars for the wrong size is a serious mistake.

2011-06-29 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3573425

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
juniperjen - 2011-06-29 4:11 PM

I got my Felt tri bike (yay) on a great deal from Wheels of Bloor in toronto - it's actually local to me but i bought at the spring bike show. And even though usually the better deals are found in the fall.   I've talked to a few others who have gotten deals there as well.  They are more road bike focused and a higher end shop.

I bought my Cervelo P2 at Wheels of Bloor. I bought it in October so it was a little cheaper as they were getting rid of left over stock. They had some deals on Felts and Argon-18's as well.

I actually the weekend before the Toronto Bike show and apparently they have the same prices in store that week as they to at the Bike Show - without the madness of the crowds.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Best Pricing For Tri Bikes in Southwestern Ontario Rss Feed